Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this week i got my first crossbow, a PSE Coalition and some inexpensive EK bolts. Unfortunately i shot one bolt so deep in my homemade target, that i have to peel it out. Now it looks like this:

Do i have to glue new vanes on or is there a trick to fix it?

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
You can try heating the vanes it for a few seconds with a hair dryer.
That might take out some of the ripples.
I don't fletch my own arrows so can't help you with the glue question.
To be safe, i would just go to a local archery shop if possible and have them replace all 3 vanes.

Reactions: lantan

·
Registered
127 Posts
Dunk the rear of arrow up past the vanes in a container of hot water for a few minutes , they should straighten out
A trick I didn´t know, thanks for learning. Down there is my answer before I´d reading your post.

Well, I would refletch these arrows. There you will find a good tutorial in your language:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much, I will first try it with hot water and the hairdryer. If it doesn`t work I go for new vanes. Have a nice week.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Thank you very much, I will first try it with hot water and the hairdryer. If it doesn`t work I go for new vanes. Have a nice week.
I worm burned several in my time setting up new scopes. I've had a lot of luck with boiling water. stir the boiling water with the vanes for about 1 minute then let air cool. Mine turn out like new.
Good luck

·
Registered
645 Posts
At times when trialing optics for companies I get cocky and don't shoot the first arrow at 10 yards to get on the target:LOL: and end up worm burning an arrow just below the grass. Almost impossible to trace the path:mad: I found using the wife's metal detector I can find the tip and then carefully cut the sod along the shaft to recover a 15.00 arrow. Last time the grandson was over I gave him the metal detector and offered $5.00 for the arrow I lost a couple days prior. He found the arrow in about five minutes. If I was smart, I'd shoot at 10 yards first! But then again, the grandson has learned the value of working and the almighty dollar.;)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Heck, I shoot arrows like that all the time and for some reason they seem to shoot pretty straight. I shoot exclusively at 50 yards because I am nothing but a target shooter. I do refletch all my own arrows and I use the smallest vanes I can find. I only freehand shoot and I use the cheapest crossbow on the market--a Centerpoint Volt 300 ($189), shoot the cheapest arrows I can find, and regularly hit a softball sized bullseye at 50 yards. It seems counterintuitive, but the proof is in the pudding. I don't hunt, but if I did I would feel perfectly comfortable unloosing an arrow at a deer at 20-30 yards. Shucks, I think some of them ultra powerful bows would shoot a garden rake straight for 25 yards.

Of course, I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
At times when trialing optics for companies I get cocky and don't shoot the first arrow at 10 yards to get on the target:LOL: and end up worm burning an arrow just below the grass. Almost impossible to trace the path:mad: I found using the wife's metal detector I can find the tip and then carefully cut the sod along the shaft to recover a 15.00 arrow. Last time the grandson was over I gave him the metal detector and offered $5.00 for the arrow I lost a couple days prior. He found the arrow in about five minutes. If I was smart, I'd shoot at 10 yards first! But then again, the grandson has learned the value of working and the almighty dollar.;)
Ha!
Been there and done that.
There is still an arrow buried somewhere in the dirt/grass.
Great idea with the metal detector.
We play a game in the backyard with the Kids, Nephews and Nieces.
Instead of Easter egg hunts, we give them a metal detector to find coins that my Wife or I have hidden.
Now I will have them hunt down that arrow, thanks Farm Deer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
This is what I did this morning at the range. 50 yards, cheap crooked, poorly fletched, old arrows shot out of my mutilated Centerpoint Volt 300. Top pic is a group I shot. Bottom pics are of an individual arrow with obviously bad vanes.
Wow, this is amazing! Learned a lot here. But now I go outside shooting, using the last light. winter is coming ;-)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yeah, and that is freehand. AND, I am not a particularly good shot--and I just started shooting crossbows this spring.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts