Crossbow Nation banner

Is it possible to polish the hook claws on a Scorpyd ?

1K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  robertyb 
#1 ·
I'm noticing I'm getting wear on my center serving where the hook claws are grabbing the string
I've only got about 10 shots on a new string & already I'm seeing wear marks particularly on one side
Is there a way to get to the hook claws & polish them to remove any rough spots or burrs ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

#2 ·
What model do you have? Yes it's possible to smooth them.

#4 ·
Some of us had the same issues. If you do a search about polishing the claws on a Scorpyd,you will find the discussions. It's really easy and only takes about 15 minutes or so.
I slid an arrow into my claws to release them down (don't cock the string back),then remove the arrow,put tape over the rail slot,then used thin strips of 1000,1500 and 5000 grit wet/dry sand paper I bought at the auto parts store. Cut the paper into about 1/4 strips,then feed it through a latch,then just pull it back and forth. Do each side at a time,with each grit size. The claws will shine like a new nickel!
Hope this helps!!!

#7 ·
I tried pushing a arrow up against the claws but as soon as I remove the arrow the latches go back up inside the housing ...How do you keep the hooks in the down position to polish them with emery cloth ?
I read a number of postings about polishing the hooks, it seems that the best way to do it is to disassemble the trigger housing but I haven't a clue how do that ??

#8 ·
Do you have the safety lever on fire when you put arrow in?

#10 ·
I just figured it out ..wasn't pressing in hard enough
Ended up using a dowel rod to get them down
Thanks again for the help
Yes that would work to,or long allen wrench. Anything to lock the claws back. When your done,just turn to fire and pull trigger. Good luck!

#14 ·
Turn safety on the back to fire again.

#19 ·
Success !!
I polished up the hooks worked up to 1000 grit ..the finest I had available
Looked at them under a bright light & magnifying glass & they look nice & shiny
Plan on doing some shooting this weekend with some Sypnal Tapps I just got from Jerry & will see if it worked ..figure it's got to be better then what I had
I want to thank everyone for your help I couldn't of done without you (y)
Thanks again ..it's greatly appreciated !!

#20 ·
Success !!
I polished up the hooks worked up to 1000 grit ..the finest I had available
Looked at them under a bright light & magnifying glass & they look nice & shiny
Plan on doing some shooting this weekend with some Sypnal Tapps I just got from Jerry & will see if it worked ..figure it's got to be better then what I had
I want to thank everyone for your help I couldn't of done without you (y)
Thanks again ..it's greatly appreciated !!
No problem,but I would go with a little finer grit. You want them REALLY slick! Since you know how to do it,get some before you shoot......If you can!

#22 ·
Heck yeah, get a finer grit ! I had to polish the latches on mine a few times ! It takes alot of sanding. Any microscopic irregularities in the finish will mare the surface of the center serving because it's under alot of tension at that point. Your definatly going to need 1500 - 5000 grit on them, And for a while. Not just a few times back and forth but take your time and give them a good polishing....

#25 ·
Thanks guys ..now that I know how to do it I'll get a variety of grits up to 2500 or better & redo the hooks before I do any shooting
I have a Dremel & I think I can get a little cylinder buffing wheel in there with some diamond paste to do a final finish
I'm not a big believer in "Good Enough"

#26 ·
Thanks guys ..now that I know how to do it I'll get a variety of grits up to 2500 or better & redo the hooks before I do any shooting
I have a Dremel & I think I can get a little cylinder buffing wheel in there with some diamond paste to do a final finish
I'm not a big believer in "Good Enough"
Now you're talking!

#29 ·
One more thought prior to shooting. String wax on the serving, burnish in well and repeat after 10 or 12 shots. It does make a significant difference in serving lifespan. Good Luck!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.