Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

so I am an owner of several different chinese crossbows and now I want something with higher quality. Do you think the bd440 is great? I heard that excals often suffer from broken limbs and also the crank should only last a couple hundred shots till it breaks down. What do you say

·
Happy Member
5,752 Posts
I have over 500 shots on my Excalibur Charger EXT crank and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it! Still looks and preforms like new! I personally don’t like the Bulldog platforms. The BD440 is definitely a beast! I haven’t heard about any broken limbs on them yet. They have the new redesigned heavier limb with armor limb tips. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Reactions: blizzy

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’ve only heard of breaking limbs on the faster Excalibur bows, like ones close to 400 FPS or more. May or may not be a real issue but at a certain point, I would think the higher the FPS, the more intense pressure that’s on those limbs. Also have to wonder if it has something to do with the bolts they’re using, especially if they’re bolts other than what Excalibur recommends. Like if they’re not heavy enough, maybe causes an issue and snaps some energy back into those limbs. Just an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,737 Posts
Don't know anything about the BD440 but I do know there shouldn't be anything to worry about since that bow comes with the Excalibur warranty.;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I heard that excals often suffer from broken limbs and also the crank should only last a couple hundred shots till it breaks down. What do you say
I say nonsense! Haha... The older limbs are very good and the newer limbs are much improved. The Charger crank is solid and should last for many, many years. The Charger EXT is guaranteed for 5 years I think, limbs for the lifetime and no one can match Excalibur's outstanding customer service. Ya can't go wrong with any of the Excal models in my opinion.

But they don't suit everyone, my advice, visit a dealer and shoulder as many of them that ya can, decide yourself based on your impressions whether you are interested or not. Ask lots of questions and maybe even shoot your favorite one (if the shop is equipped) before buying. Hollar if ya got any more questions. Have fun with your next purchase!

·
Registered
96 Posts
In March I ordered a BD 440. it arrived in mid April but circumstances prevented me from putting it together until May 1st. I started shooting and after a few shots sighting in at 20 yds i had one of the hooks on the EXT Charger break and cause a partial dry fire. It caused a severe split in the right limb and I sent the bow and Charger to Excalibur For repair and full examination. This was not my first Excalibur. I’ve had a BD400 and BD360 they have both performed excellently and I’ve used an EXT Charger extensively. 2 of my sons are now hunting with them. Big thanks and Kudos to Excalibur’s customer service department! They notified me when it was received and called me as to what they did and it was on its way back next day. They replaced the limbs, put new heavy duty hooks on the Charger, and polished the trigger latches and replaced the string because he noticed that the sErving was showing excessive wear! l’m impressed!
Yesterday I remounted the scope and chronographed some arrows. Here are the results:
based on a 3 shot average. Using 100 gr. bullet points.

354 gr. 18” Pro flight that came with the bow. 439 fps
422 gr. 20” Bloodsport Witness. 410 fps
440 gr. 18” Spynal Tapp. 405 fps
427 gr. 22” Spynal Tapp. 410 FPS

pleased with the speeds and look forward to getting out and checking accuracy. If this is anything like my previous Bulldogs I will be very happy. Will report results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts