Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, everyone,

fwiw, i subscribe to a crossbow magazine & have read numerous "back issues" of it, too.

NOT a single piece of information has been critical of the QUALITY of ANY of the major makers goods in any issue. NOR has there been ANY discussion whatever of the relative strengths/weaknesses of ANY bow, when compared to others by that manufacturer and/or other maker's CBs. (could it be that the editor is MORE interested in getting ADVERTIZING revenue than in publishing information, that is helpful to the SUBSCRIBERS?)

i believe there is a REAL need for a place to offer REAL critiques of the strengths & weaknesses of the various crossbows, inasmuch as there are daily more people (especially seniors, like me, who came from "vertical archery!), who are seeking such information.

in my case, i "stumbled across" a Horton Yukon SL (at a really good price!), which i evidently one of the GOOD, but "middle quality" CBs. it would have been NICE to have "guidance" instead of "stumbling over" a "good deal"!

it seems to me that this site (or the magazine for that matter) should NOT be a "cheerleader" for the manufacturers. just my opinion.

sincerely yours, texasnative46

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
When you go to look for your next cb. Just ask these guys on the site. They will tell you the truth about there experience with each manufacturer. So far, I have not seen anyone hold back on the way the feel if they don't like a product. Just look at the Horton Dial-a-range thread.
There is a crossbow review site that gives you the pros and cons to the products it has reviewed. Hopefully they will be testing more crossbows soon. Go to the "friends" page here for the link. It is called "crossbow review".

·
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
urban legend,

in the case of my Yukon SL, i'm going to "lock down" the "dial-a-matic" (with "locktite) & put a "red dot sight" on it.

THANKS!

yours, texasnative46

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
I'm willing to help

and give my impression of those I have shot. I too started from zero and shot my way through a bunch of bows, noting what I liked and disliked in the process.
Later i found several sites that feature x bow and learned a lot more, esp about the companies that make them. Customer support is all important I think.

·
11,423 Posts
You won't see many critical comments

on products in magazines for obvious reasons. Sites like this one will at least give you different opinions on crossbows and accessories and it's up to you to digest that information to help in your decision making. I currently own and shoot crossbows from Bowtech, Ten Point and Excalibur and have owned others. You won't go wrong with either of the above. The trick is to find the crossbow that feels right to you, shoots accurately and can be maintained at your level of expertise (string changing, re-serving the string's center serving, etc.) Most of the higher performance compound crossbows require trained dealers for service whereas the recurves can be worked on without bow presses in most cases. That can be a big factor for some folks.

I try very hard to be fair and objective in my comments regarding products discussed here and on other sites but I also feel obligated to tell what I don't like............which I do :) Personally, I'd much rather read comments and gather information from folks that live and breathe crossbows than from folks that write for magazines for a dollar.

Attachments

·
64 Posts
Forums are full of information

on anything you possibly want to know.

I too am an older guy 66, who had to give up the verticle bows and knew nothing about xbows. I stumbled on these forums and found what I needed to know about making my choice of a bow.

I spent hour after enjoyable hour until I made my choice.

Three weeks ago I purchased a Tenpoint TL-7 and couldn't be happier.:(

·
23 Posts
Honesty in a review

As important as the review is the reviewer. Is he a dealer who is tooting the horn of the c b's he sells. Some do not give out info that they are employed by one of the makers and others are staff shooters with a strong interest in their own product. Low cost c b's mean lower profits and that is also a consideration in some of the "reviews".

It is very hard to get what I call "good" information. This is a good place where all cross bow brands are welcome. Ask the reviewer some of the above questions and then let the review speak for itself.

Most hunters, rifle, shotgun, black powder, vertical or cross bow use one as they use a hammer or saw. It is used during season and then put up until needed again. Very few owners of the above shoot much out of season. Maybe not a good idea but that is what they do. If you were to shoot weekly then it would make sense to look to a higher cost, better quality firearm/bow for greater use.

This is where my own bias comes in. I do not think you need a $1000.00 crossbow for general hunting. Accuracy is practice and the matching up of arrow/bow just like ammo for a rifle. The rifle will find the ammo and the bow will find the arrow. My .308 reloads in a Remington 700 will put 3 shots in a dime at 100 yards. Not high dollar, just an average rifle with a few small adjustments. The same can be said for a crossbow.

Just a thought on a cold, windy morning in Oklahoma.

navydad Norman, Oklahoma

·
Banned
258 Posts
I dont think its that hard to get good information or feedback.Every one
seems to give an honest opinon on what they have shot or are shooting.
I have had people put down what I was shooting and they have never even
shot the brand of bow.Every one has their favorites and have a price
range they can afford,the main thing is to look towards the future and
decide what fits and feels good to you,I have always said To each his own
no one has a right to condem a man on his choice.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Critical

Really,I like to hear comments from knowledgeable dealers who sell several brands and from those of us who shoot and hunt with Crossbows.I have never had a problem obtaining good information from this forum or for that matter none of the other Archery forums that I visit. To me it is pretty easy to pick out when some one is just tooting the horn for a certain product.Also I have generaly found when it comes to Quality with any purchase ,you get what you pay for.

Reactions: SEW and Fletcher

·
Banned
258 Posts
:):confused:
SPECIALIZED said:
Really,I like to hear comments from knowledgeable dealers who sell several brands and from those of us who shoot and hunt with Crossbows.I have never had a problem obtaining good information from this forum or for that matter none of the other Archery forums that I visit. To me it is pretty easy to pick out when some one is just tooting the horn for a certain product.Also I have generaly found when it comes to Quality with any purchase ,you get what you pay for.
Very well said,good post!

·
1,222 Posts
Another thing to consider...

The "best"...crossbow in town MAY...not be the best for you...if it doesn't "fit"!

There are many nice bows out there that would be horrible to use for anything past "borrowing" it because -

1. The cheek pad is too high/low.
2. The grip isn't right / thumb hole is too small/wrong place.
3. Some dislike too heavy/too light/too nose heavy...etc.

Sometimes you should either check before you buy...be prepaired to not be "fully" happy...be prepaired to sell to try again!

Mike

·
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
to all:

people keep saying to find a "knowledgeable dealer". = at least around here, that's cruel joke.

mostly, the "experts" at the dealers are commissioned sales people, who are ONLY interested in SELLING you SOMETHING, whether it is what you need or not.

the "resident crossbow expert" at our local "archery pro shop" didn't have any vague notion of the answer to what i thought was a simple question about my Horton CB (they SELL Hortons!) & let me know that he wasn't interested in doing anything more than selling a new CB.

selling parts, for the one i have, is NOT on "his agenda".

yours, texasnative46

·
11,423 Posts
At the risk of getting ripped, I'll say it anyway:)

Some dealers can be especially misleading to first time crossbow buyers. These new to crossbow buyers can be talked into, in many cases, buying whatever the guy behind the counter wishes to "push" on them. I agree with Mike and Texas on this one. As an example, a friend of mine who's considering buying his first crossbow ( he's currently shooting a recurve vertical bow) went down to the farm with me today to help put up posted signs. I just happened to have my Desert Stryker in the vehicle:D so when we finished I decided to shoot a little. I dropped 3 arrows into the Rinehart deer's kill at 70 yards with it. He was very impressed to say the least. He said "I have to have one of those":p The guy is 5'4" with really short arms:p I knew what was going to happen next. I cocked it, loaded an arrow and handed it to him. He shot the first arrow into the kill at 70 yards:) He asked "how much does it cost"? I told him "as much as I love this crossbow, it's not right for you". he asked "why"? I attached the cocking rope, handed it to him and asked him to cock it:p. I knew he would not be able to cock it even though it cocks easily but the very long power stroke was just too much for him. Both his hands were up around his ears and he still had another inch to go to cock it. As much as I would like to see him shooting a Desert Stryker it just won't work for him. When I got back home I asked him to come into my workshop and handed him my Pro Slider set on 150 lbs (short power stroke). I asked him to cock it, which he did with no problem. We took it out back and he shot it at 20 and 30 yards. All 4 arrows were in the kill. He's buying a Pro Slider tomorrow.

·
11,423 Posts
From time to time I like going back to read some of this stuff that was posted 10 to 12 years ago:). I’m down to 3 crossbows now. Time changes everything..........well, almost everything.
B8C5C3BA-7556-4F93-91AB-6A20BA952E4E.jpeg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts