Crossbow Nation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
10,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can’t help it:rolleyes:, and I don’t know why it still bugs me so much when arrows used in crossbows are referred to as bolts, but I catch myself rolling my eyes Every time I hear it . Using that same mentality why don’t we call a crossbow trigger a tickler or call crossbow limbs prods. If it has vanes, nocks, shaft tube, inserts for points, both mechanical and fixed broadheads plus field points............it’s an ARROW!!!!!!

·
Happy Member
5,281 Posts
Once again, who cares!

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
I will also agree with you 100%. 🏹 👍 However, I am sure a certain member here, that I believe shoots a Mission crossbow, will be replying soon to correct you. 😩 ;)

·
1,264 Posts
I agree Tom. I am guilty of calling them bolts as well on occasion when I shouldn't. I created this "Short Arrow" and many have called it a Dart or a Bolt. I come back promptly and say, "It's an Arrow!"
Short Arrow.jpg

·
Registered
806 Posts
I’m with you on this one Moon. It grates at me too, and both of my brothers use the terms interchangeably when talking about xb’s, but never when talking about a regular compound bow. Makes no sense.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
A non issue to many. I remember the first time I used the word bolt I was politely corrected that we don't use bolts but arrows. It really didn't matter to me much at the time. Either one gonna kill if you execute.

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
Several years back several states were having difficulties with getting crossbows accepted and being allowed to use them for hunting. The antis were really jumping on the word "bolts" saying that they were not archery and should not be included for inclusion during deer seasons. Everyone (almost) at that time on the forums started calling them arrows and the ones of us who were here then still do. Even some of the manufactures now say arrows instead of bolts. The new comers here take crossbow inclusion to be granted for the most part but there are still a lot of folks out there that want us "bolt" shooters banned from "their" archery seasons and a few states seem to still basically agree with them.

Here is one of the guys that want to ban your crossbows:

·
Registered
819 Posts
I've got a problem with my bolts. I just cannot get it to fly right. I've weighed it, and it seems normal compared to other bolts. I've checked the balance and found it to be pretty light on the front end. I've checked each end of the bolt to make sure that it's square. And all the threads are in good shape so no problem with adding components. Even used some Loctite.

Maybe I'm missing something!..

... like just another reason why using the word bolt to describe an arrow can sometimes be confusing initially figuring out just what the heck someone is talking about. To me, bolts are what is used to assemble a crossbow and not something that's shot out of a crossbow.

I don't see how these could be confused as being the same,

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
10,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Several years back several states were having difficulties with getting crossbows accepted and being allowed to use them for hunting. The antis were really jumping on the word "bolts" saying that they were not archery and should not be included for inclusion during deer seasons. Everyone (almost) at that time on the forums started calling them arrows and the ones of us who were here then still do. Even some of the manufactures now say arrows instead of bolts. The new comers here take crossbow inclusion to be granted for the most part but there are still a lot of folks out there that want us "bolt" shooters banned from "their" archery seasons and a few states seem to still basically agree with them.

Here is one of the guys that want to ban your crossbows:
Robert, exactly. (y)

·
2,698 Posts
This subject has been beat to death. I call crossbow projectiles "Arrows" but I also know what people are referring to when they call them Bolts. I will admit I was one of the first ones to correct people when They would call Arrows "Bolts". But honestly it's a wast of time and bandwidth correcting every single person.

·
Crossbow Nut
2,819 Posts
Whose life is so dang shallow that they even have the time or inclination to split this old hair yet again? For those who haven't noticed, there are real problems occurring in the country today, and THIS is the hill you picked to die on? Some will always say things you don't like, get over it.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Well said Jack

Reactions: Jack Pine
1 - 20 of 182 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.