Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first crossbow as a gift. When assembling my Jackal, I noticed that instead of having a cable slide with 2 grooves, mine came with 2 cable slides with one big groove. Is one a spare, or should both cable slides be installed to keep the 2 cables from rubbing?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
The under standing I have on the cable slide is they have two grooves, one is cut deeper for the upper cable. Check your manual in regards to the cable slide. My Barnett Ghost 410 and Buck Commander BCXtreme 365 Ultra Lite does not use the slide. It has a Teflon strip in the upper part of the "J" groove where the cables fit. The Teflon prevents wear on the plastic "J" section. What ever you decide, keep this area of the cables close to the stock well lubricated as the only way lubrication can get into "J" section area is when cocking or shooting the crossbow as the cable movement brings the lubrication in. An excellent lubricant is the Trident Silicone Grease, available on the internet in a 2 fluid ounce jar. This lubricant stays moist and does not dry out or gum up. It takes just a wee bit on the string, cables and rail. I also put a wee bit on the front 4 to 6 inch of the arrow to make easier removal from foam filled targets. Carbon arrows generate heat which causes foam in the target to bond to the arrow. One does not have to lubricate near as often with this product. I lubricate the bow string serving as well to keep it soft.
All the best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The under standing I have on the cable slide is they have two grooves, one is cut deeper for the upper cable. Check your manual in regards to the cable slide. My Barnett Ghost 410 and Buck Commander BCXtreme 365 Ultra Lite does not use the slide. It has a Teflon strip in the upper part of the "J" groove where the cables fit.
All the best.
The issue is that the cable slides that were included in the package don't match what's in the manual.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
As you would hold the crossbow in the shooting position, look in the upper area of the "J" groove section where the cables go and see if there happens to be a Teflon strip. If there is you would not need the cable slide. If there is no Teflon strip then a cable slide would be required or a Teflon strip. The Teflon strip is approximately 3/4" wide by 4" long. For my Ghost 410, I removed the riser bolt, then the riser. Next I removed the tiny bolts holding the "J" groove section. The Ghost 410 had a damaged Teflon strip. I cleaned the area where the Teflon strip was good. Gently peel part of the film off the new Teflon strip and starting at the back of the "J" groove section carefully center the Teflon strip and press it down as you go. Any extra, cut off at the front of the "J" groove section. Reinstall the "J" groove section. When reinstalling the riser, press down on the cables to prevent damage to the Teflon strip and carefully insert them into the "J" groove section. Carefully fit the riser then install the riser bolt.
Obtaining the proper cable slide and installing it is much easier than messing with the Teflon strip.
Here is a phone number where you can call Barnett customer service. Ph. 1-800-237-4507 Monday to Friday 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM Eastern Time. Their address is as follows:
Barnett Outdoors Inc.
955 Live Oak St.
Tarpon Springs, Florida
If you have a dealer closer, you could call them. Just explain what you received and if that is an upgrade to what the manual shows.
All the best.

·
Crazy Ol' Foole
2,520 Posts
Call them, and be persistent. Don't wait for them to contact you, or you could wait a while.

The very first Jackals were shipped with Teflon strips instead of a slide, and it was a disaster (don't ask how I know). They quickly came up with a slide that worked a charm. I haven't heard or seen anything about a two-piece slide, so I suspect that you need a different part than what you're describing. The good thing is that when you do get in touch with someone they will take care of you in short order.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Call them, and be persistent. Don't wait for them to contact you, or you could wait a while.

The very first Jackals were shipped with Teflon strips instead of a slide, and it was a disaster (don't ask how I know). They quickly came up with a slide that worked a charm. I haven't heard or seen anything about a two-piece slide, so I suspect that you need a different part than what you're describing. The good thing is that when you do get in touch with someone they will take care of you in short order.
The cable slide I received is in the picture below. After talking with Barnett last night, this is their new style cable slide. The package ships with 2 to have one as a spare. Looking at the crossbow with it installed, it seems like the old style with 2 grooves to separate the cables would be better.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts