Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to TomOnTheRun I was inspired today to take advantage to the south wind to join the 100 yard CB Shooting club today. The south wind allowed me to get behind a creek lined with trees (shade) for a nice hot bow shoot at about 92 degrees.
I first confirmed the bow was still as I left it a few days ago. I shot bullseye at 40, 60, and 80 yards to see the reticle scheme was indeed correct to the 400fps speed setting on my scope. I moved to 100 yards and confirmed it with one shot. Then I sent 3 different 425 gr arrows for grouping consideration at the center bullseye.
The group was good to about 2" with #6V hitting the bullseye on bag target. I left my phone/camera at home on the charger so didn't capture it. I decided to repeat the same three arrow grouping with the little time I was had. I turned the red power on my reticle for help as it was about 8:10 when I finished. I left that grouping in the bag so I could capture it on camera when I returned home. The 2nd grouping was very near the same as the 1st with the lower arrow #5V was higher on the 1st grouping making it better of the two.

That was the first time I attempted this feat so I am happy with the results.
Glad to share it! Any feedback welcome!

I challenge other members to try it to feel the exhilaration of long range shooting with a crossbow.

The Hawke XB30 set at 400 fps /4.5X power performed perfectly combined with my KI Ripper 415 setup. I am ready to try again soon. I might be able to beat it with some tuning and arrow sorting. Those 3 arrows were not sorted but from a matched set of 12.

20200726_CB.jpg
20200726_CB1.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
On Tuesday to continue where I left off on my 100 yard crossbow shooting earlier I moved to my hunting lease where I had time while on site to conduct more test of the accuracy of my Ripper 415 crossbow.

Since I hit the bullseye with #6 arrow as shown above on the first insert I decided to shoot with #6 arrow only to see how consistent the accuracy was at 100 yards. I set up the target in my usual spot where wind is normally blocked good. However the trees on the far end of the range past 75 opened into the pasture. There was 10-15 mph SW wind blowing as I planned to shoot south. I decided it was good enough to try so preceded.

As you look at the photos the sequence is right to left from the bottom.
The 1st shot with #6 was a warm up shoot as it missed 3" left. I didn't change anything because experience told me it could be a fluke
#2 shot with #6 arrow hit the intended center bullseye
#3 shot with #6 arrow hit about 1" left
As you can see the all the shots were very close to just outside left of center bullseye.
Several shots hit near the same hole.
#3 thru #6 shots were within 1/4".

In summary I can't believe this Ripper 415 is good as my rifle shooting the same arrow shooting.
I doubt I will beat it or match it again. Wow!馃槈
I hope you enjoyed my 100 yard challenges. This was my first two attempts
It's your turn!

SOA

20200727_CB.jpg

Registered
Congrats. My limit is 60 yds. I don't like walking long distances. LOL

Reactions: Spot-on-arrow

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I am glad it was in the shade but I still sweated like crazy and toweled off. In Arkansas humid hot weather is the norm for summer. At my age it is a real test to do these type of activities but I managed it with my Ripper XB and Hawke scope. I always wondered about this long range stuff. Know I might try longer just for fun. Also I'm so relieved to know my crossbow and scope create a great package that I can count on even if this is for fun and not hunting.
Since I did the preliminary work on the first effort it minimized my shooting time. Besides I had another fun thing to attend to at the lease Tuesday. Wild hogs had been coming to my corn feeder for a while. I wanted to get in from of them with my 270 M77.

Here is a view of the range I used at the lease looking from the middle each way. Nice quiet place guarded from the wind this time of the year.

SOA

20200727_181812.jpg

20200727_181816.jpg

Registered
When I started shooting the dirty 100...I thought why not farther? I kept adjusting my scope in 20 click increments as I had no idea where I would end up when scope bottomed out. I moved back to 115,then 135,160 and so forth till I maxxed my scope out.ended up being 245 yrds. Now dont start thinking I was holding the groups you all are doing but I had alot of fun pulling the trigger and counting about 2 1/2 seconds before the thud.....lol I had a 30x30 inch target and could hit it usually 4 out of 6 shots....(I lost some arrows....lol)

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Randy. I admire your love and desire to explore long ranges with archery.
I lost one arrow on 1st effort. It was high of the target and skipped of the bank background. That arrow was not of the same batch that I had been using so I changed back without changing scope settings.
Good luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to add my 100 yard flight time was 0.84s and the arrow arc was 95 inches. I was glad to be able to see the arrow flight and most of the time see point of impact.

Reactions: dynamo61

Your shooting is incredible good, IMO. Easiest way to reduce group size is to increase scope power. If you really get into this, consider a dial-a-range/higher power rifle scope, at least 8-9 power or more. You鈥檒l likely have to test all your arrows and pick a few.
My greatest problems for long range flight is when the vanes are not leaning identically. They can so easily take a set. I鈥檝e used a hairdryer but have gone back to steam out of a tea kettle.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Sew!
I appreciate your compliments and suggestions.
It's all in fun and stretching one's imagination on what is possible with our crossbow. I really never thought this good shooting was in my capabilities until I tried it. It is exhilarating to experience. Then I have the added benefit of knowing the capabilities of my archery equipment. To say the least the Ripper 415 and Hawke XB30 SR scope perform beyond my expectations.

To expand those possibility yesterday I shot my Ripper to determine what yardage value the bottom post in the reticle represented so I would have a reference. I was able to do that with little trouble as a challenge. I am tickled with the results.
The results may be seen in this link:

Premium Member
... I was able to do that with little trouble as a challenge. I am tickled with the results.
The results may be seen in this link:
Cannot access your video.
You may want to check the permissions setting to be sure it is public viewable.
Maybe it is just me, i do not know.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Try this one.

Premium Member
Reactions: Spot-on-arrow

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Yup that works!
Thanks and heck of a shot, as a matter of fact, it is Spot-On!!!
:)
Thanks so much! It's a bit extreme and I captured it in my first ever selfie video to make it the ultimate challenge. 馃檪馃殗馃幆

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Some stats! The ballistics chart reports 1s of flight time and 139 inches of arrow drop. If one listens closely the arrow impact can be heard.
The range has a small rise about 80 yards out which made it a challenge to see the lower half of bag because it was partially concealed. But I managed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts