Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a Darton Impact. New condition, but it does not come with bolts (Mike I hope you're lurking). What is the best arrow set up to use on an Impact. I am excited beyon words and can't wait fo rmy package to arrive. There's a place in my town that sells xbow accessories and I want to have the arrows set to go

·
1,223 Posts
Despite some on this continent (apparently very popular on the "other" main land mass!) not liking them for what ever reason, I think you'll be happy with it. I think many don't like the bullpup design....even though the Stryker guys drew up the same design for their first bow!

See my answer in PM form on the...other site about your arrow question.

Mike

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crossbow arrived today.

....and I think it's been sitting in somebody's closet for a very long time. No real wear but a bit dirty. It needs a good cleaning. NO scratches on the barrel or the finish. All in all, it's in great shape an looks like it's never been used. All the Darton stickers are still in place and the original price tags and serial numbers are all there. This was a steal and I'm fortunate to have found it. The balance on this bow is unbeleivable !! THey say center balanced and it's pretty damned close. It really feels good and a perfect fit. My index finger has no problem reaching the safety; a concern I had orignally.

Bolts...ooops arrows will be in this weekend and away I go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This crossbow feels sold and is extremely well built. I beleive if Darton advertised they'd have a much bigger market share. Oh well, my bud look sto b egetting a Lightning so we'll both be shooting Dartons.

Now all I need to do is put that cash down toward the Tenpoint recurve and I'll be good to go.

·
1,223 Posts
Good to see you're happy so far.
I agree, the safety is just about perfect for me also. No fumbling or having to use two hands! Gloves or not.

One caution (sort of!)...when you cock the bow with or without the rope...be sure to give it a good hearty pull as the string enters the trigger block. Don't be wimpy about it!
OTHERWISE...it's a bit of a pain to get the string out of the "second" string safety. You need to be really good with your hands and legs...or have a second person right there.
Yes...I did this...the first cocking of my Fireforce!

Don't forget to wax all of the strings and cables.

Mike

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mike,

Quick question. what do you use to clean the rails? TEH stirngs and cables are waxed, but there appears to be alot of build up on the rails. Can I use a general cleaner like 409 and a cloth towel or is there something special? I used to use WD-40 on my Ruger 9mm clips but I don't know if that's wise for this particular item.

Also; do you like the 11 seting three dot scope or do you favor a 4-X scope? I still can't get over how well balanced these xbows are; I'd have figured they'd be nose heavy like some others I've held.

Again... thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions; you're really a top notch guy and I'm privelaged to have the opportunity to learn from you.

My new novel will be released in June, PM me your address and I'll send you a copy.

Greg B

·
115 Posts
Caution about WD40

WD40 is a moisture displacement product and all gun smiths advise against using it on any part of a fire arm and using it for any type of lubricant can eventually lead to a problem. WD40 is literally made from a fish oil, and will dry out over time.

Using a very light gun oil or 3in1 oil would work much better.

·
1,223 Posts
I used Brake Clean the other day while messin with the Fireforce. WD-40's fine too. Much of the WD-40 ingredient content is silicone. So no problems there, should work great. The hard anodized aluminum is a pretty tuff coating. It will scratch...but not easily.
I doubt 409 would touch the old (or new!) wax.

I've tried a single red dot and the supplied 3 dot. For my use (target...from mostly 19 or 20 yards), I like the single dot.
If I were hunting, I would most likely limit my shots, yardage wise..so in that case just get used to having move a single dot around.
But on the other hand...I really can't say...never done any hunting!
I have a 4-x scope on an old Barnett Thunderbolt bow. At my 20 yard shots...even with my 57 year old eyes...it's a little too much magnification.
My Stryker has a single red dot Burris, "Fast Flight" sight. It all basically disappears when sighting. It's a touch too low on that bow...but it is really nice...so I deal with it! Thinking of trying it on my Impact.

Thanks...nuthin most anyone else wouldn't do to help out. Just VERY limited source on the Darton users!

Cool...I'll get you my address a little later.

Mike

P.s. - Per Wallys note...two things.
1. On the anodized aluminum...no harm will come from using WD-40 or any of the other lube/cleaner type sprays.
2. What "ever" is used...do not pile it on.
Because it's a very thin lube...I normally use it for just a water dispersent. BUT...I have used it as a lube for different things, including guns...for many, many years...with "no" problems what so ever.
Again...don't load "it" up with any lube.

Now that I'm thinking of it...I DID fill an old S-W semi-auto barrel with WD-40 once, to help remove the piled up lead that the previous owned left in there! AND...he was a cop!
Don't really recall if it helped or not...I just remember it took DAYS to clean all that [email protected] out of the barrel!

·
1,223 Posts
Ed -

You need to try things "outside" the immediate life a little.

I've noticed more than a few times where you recommend items. They sell for $xx price.
The same product or a product very simmilar can be bought at MUCH less cost than the "archery" product can be bought.

Now I know...gotta keep the archery thing going... I understand that.
But when a product costs almost 4 times as much than in the outside world (the sound deadining spray), that's just too much to deal with.
Though I haven't searched into the item you mention above...I'd pretty much bet that a small can of WD-40 (or simillar) or a $1.99 (on sale) can of "brake clean" will be much cheaper, AND do the same job as the "wax remover"!
And the WD-40 will also leave a little lube behind (after wiping it all off with a clean rag or paper towel).

I'd also guess (I've seen it done!), that many items are "exactly" the same item on the outside world...just repackaged and given an incerdablely large price increase.

Just something to ponder.

Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sparhawk Congratulations on the Impact

I've been shooting my Impact since December. If yours is anything like the one I'm shooting, you'll be very pleased with your choice.

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KLV said:
I've been shooting my Impact since December. If yours is anything like the one I'm shooting, you'll be very pleased with your choice.
Thanks :). I've heard nothing but good things from everybody who owns one. My friend has some 22" arrows and we'll be shooting hs Desert Stryker and my Impact tomorrow afternoon.

·
1,223 Posts
A Desert Stryker Vs. an Impact....

That's a great pair.
Though I've never held or shot a Desert Stryker...my Stryker is a monster compared to the Darton lineup.

While just as accurate, and MUCH faster...it's a bit nose heavy and a bit heavier overall than the Darton bows. But I understand the Desert version is lighter, quieter and slightly better balanced than it's bigger brother.

Have fun with the two.

Mike

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never got the chance to shoot my Impact this weekend. My wife had other plans such as painting the hallway and foyer and other Honey do chores. But I did attempt to clean the sticky crap on the flight rail and wasnt able to get too far. The serving is also very dirty (upon closer inspection) the wax seems to be impregnated with dirt. The flight deck is sticky and no amount of gentle cleaning seemed to get this guck off.

I called Darton and explained my predicament. Julie was very helpful and extremely nice. They gave me the name and number of a certified Darton dealer that was local and told me I should contact him. Darton is sending me a free users manual for my crossbow. I called the local rep and spoke to him for about a half hour. He confirmed that indeed the crap on the rail was old wax and dirt. He said the bow must have been fired a few times; not cleaned and put up somewhere to get in such condition. Jim (the Darton rep in Taunton) said to bring the Xbow in this Saturday and hed go through it top to bottom; give it a thorough cleaning and make sure everything was in working order. Hell also give me a mini shooting clinic at his range behind his shop.

I figured its just be safer to have the bow looked at by a Darton certified Rep before I go shooting it. Again, the bow seems fine with the exception of the gunk but Id rather be safe than sorry since Im extremely new to this. The Impact vs. Desert Stryker will have to wait til next Sunday. Sorry for the delay :D.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wax on the arrow deck

Sparhawk:

I stopped using string wax on the deck, due to the dirt collection factor. A friend suggested I try auto wax and it seems to work great. It makes the deck super smooth and slick. Also, I wrap my center serving slightly wider than the deck with glide dental floss. So far, I have close to 800 shots on the crossbow using this method and everything looks brand new. I crawled around on my knees and belly trying to ambush a turkey and if I got any gunk on the deck, I easily wiped it off with my handkerchief. Something I found very difficult to do when I was using the heavy thick and sticky string-type wax.

Something that works for me and you might consider. Good luck with your Impact.

·
1,223 Posts
For what it's worth...the string on the Darton bows...have such little pressure on the track, guide (what ever you may call it), there's not any need to worry about waxing it specifically.
Just keep the serving waxed all the way around. I have many MANY shots thru my Fireforce...looking at the serving...you'ld never figure that compared to most other crossbows.
While I haven't shot my Stinger or my newly purchased Impact as much as the Fireforce, the string load seems to be about the same on all three bows. Which seems right, since they are all of the same design in that area.

You want to mess with serving, wax, strings, etc., etc., get a Bow Tech, Stryker. Those...are hard on strings!

And like you say KLV...the wax is just a place for more garbage to collect.

Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sparhawk; Cleaning excess wax off rail

I forgot to mention, when I had my Excalibur Exomax, I needed to remove the wax build-up from the rails. I removed the riser and then heated the old wax with a hair dryer and wiped it of with paper towels and finally with old cotton t-shirts. I also plugged the track where the vane travels with an old t-shirt to keep the melted wax from running down inside the track. I had to heat and wipe the rail several times to remove all the old wax, but when I was done the rail was as smooth and clean as new.

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow... does this thing shoot !!!!

I brought the Impact to Jim's Gun and Archery (Certified Darton Rep). Man this guy was simply amazing in his breadth and depth of knowledge. He checked the xbow over front to back and was amazed at how good a shape it was in. HE cleaned the rail and lubed it with a dry silicone spray. It was slick as can be after he finished. Then came the moment of truth. Jim took some 2219 crossbow arrows and we went to his backyard.

I cocked the bow, loaded an arrow, aimed at the target and squeezed the tirgger. All I can say is... Wow!! I was expecting a louder noise and a ton of vibration, I was wrong. This crossbow was really rather quiet; I mean it did have a bit of a thud type sound but nothing as loud as other xbows I'd shot. It's not as quiet as a Desert Stryker but there really isn't too much of a difference. As for the speed, we didn't chronograph the arrows but Jim said they were on par with the other Impacts he'd serviced and tested. Hopefully someone else can comment on this; it seemed to shoot high. when I nailed down the 20 yard shot, the middle dot, 30 yards, I was about an inch to an inch and a half high consistantly. IT was easy enough to adjust and compensate for but I wondered if it was just me. The scope has eleven brightness settings, but I don't think I'd ever need to go over setting 4.

The one thing that I didn't expect: trigger travel. I'd read some place where the new Darton line up has excessive trigger travel. My 06 Impact doesn't seem to have this charachteristic. The amount of travel is minimal and seemed comparable to Brian's Stryker. The Impact trigger seemed a bit heavier on the pull, but it was a joy to shoot.

All I can say is that I'm a satisfied Darton customer. This crossbow is solid, fast, and smooth. I'm looking forward to years of fun shooting this fine crossbow.

·
1,223 Posts
Spar -

Sounds good!

The sighting...don't be concerned about putting the sight on and having to adjust it. That's a normal part of the sighting in routine. Once you get it where you want it...you can remove the sight and put it back on...and be right on target.
The brigntness will be adjusted per the ambient light. If it's really bright out, you have to go brighter on the level. If it's darker out, you have to keep the brightness turned down so it doesn't glare and fill the sight with a red glow!

As to the trigger travel...you may...as you learn the bow more, decide that a slow trigger squeeze...shows up a slightly long pull.
If you just pull the trigger...it IS pretty nice as is...but a slower more deliberate pull...will end up having you pay more attention to the trigger than the target. It did me anyway.

It's a very easy fix if you ever want to do it.
Remove the stock, remove the bow (riser/prod), push out the trigger pin, remove the safety (hold onto the safety pin and spring!), remove the trigger bar.
Mark a .030" to .035" mark on the release pin, remove that material...deburr...and reverse the above operation to put it back together.
Takes...oh...30 minutes.

Then for just a little more work...bout an hour and a half...you can smooth up the actual "action" of the trigger pull...and make it like the proverbial greased pig slick.

My Fireforce is done and I took my Impact apart last weekend to do it but ended up doing some other stuff and not getting back to finish it.
I'm polishing up the trigger on that too...like I did the Fireforce. Probably won't finish it till next weekend.
It takes a little filing and sanding/polishing (mating surfaces together).
It's almost too nice...just think...about pulling the trigger and it's done.

One thing I "did not" do was to lighten any springs. With polishing the sliding parts and shorting the trigger pull distance...that's all thats needed.

Shoot away...and remember...one arrow per bullseye or you will be buying lotsa new arrows!

Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Another happy Great Lakes/Darton archer

Sparhawk,

Glad to see your happy with the Impact. I'm addicted to mine. In fact, I was going to get an Excalibur Vortex or Exocet as a daily shooter and save the Impact for primarily hunting. But now, I'm strongly considering getting another Impact or a Stinger and setting it up for my daily shooter and hold off on the Excalibur a little longer. As nice as these xbows are I wonder: How much better can the new Lightning and Storm be? My guess is very little and right now it seems there are Stingers and Impacts to be found at very good prices. Again, glad your happy with your Impact and welcome to the Darton fraternity.

·
1,223 Posts
KLV -

From the pictures on the Darton site...I's my guess that they just added a little to the draw length to up the speeds.

Other than a new/different design stock...I'd say it would be pretty difficult to make the existing bow much better. The top-o-the line bow now does have string silencers mounted to the riser.

With doing a little trigger work to mine...I do some "plinking" almost every day now. Mostly with the Fireforce, but the Impact comes off the wall every now and again too!

Contact me if you decide to by a Stinger. Mine is just the way it came from the factory, and id for sale.

Mike

1 - 20 of 21 Posts