Crossbow Nation banner

Do you check each time, before heading out?

• always

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • almost always

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • often

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • sometimes

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • occasionally

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • once in a blue moon

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • never

Votes: 7 17.5%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the vertical community, the overwhelming process is to practice and tune the bow like a fanatic up till opening day and then never practice or check it again till season is over or something negative happens.
Over the last 20 years I have seen this stated so often and by so many that it seems the norm to just stop all that stuff as soon as season starts.

I do not know about the crossbow community because I never see mention of it or at least...Very very rarely.

Do you personally check or practice with equipment during season?

I am putting this on a poll so the truth can be told without attacks and bickering. Unless you just want to bicker :D
Votes are viewable without voting but who voted for what answer is hidden.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I probably shoot about 3-4 times during the season. It would be more for me but since I can't shoot at home due to proximity to my neighbors etc. I have to travel to shoot. So in my spare time if I can shoot or hunt I hunt.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
I still practice. If I'm not able to hunt I still fling arrows with verticle bow and horizontal (backwards) bow.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I’ve started bowhunting in 65’, and there may have been a year or two that I never shot an arrow prior to going into the hunting season.

Most likely I rarely shot during the season as well. I used to shoot competitively in leagues and whenever I did pick up my bow it seemed like riding a bicycle.

·
1,646 Posts
I'm not saying i'm done bow hunting but i probably am. Both my hunting bows are hanging and will stay there until shot. My strings 452X are settled and won't require tuning. I don't foresee changing anything. As im happy with what i'm using now. So when i get one out it better hit where i left it. This is where i'm unforgiving i will not tolerate nursing my hunting setups. And this applies to the first shot sometime this coming summer preseason next year.

·
9,246 Posts
I'll check ... if I think something is wrong. Something being wrong might be me!...lol If I think a shot went somewhere I didn't want I'll check my shot sequence. Not following through, not seeing the crosshair, pulling my head out too soon to watch the death run direction in the near dark conditions. Crap that can creep into your shooting. I'm just not shooting far enough to need to get overly persnickety about the equipment.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Not really hunting, and usually vertical bows, both for legal reasons.
But I almost always make some test shots at mid-range (25..40yd) first to see if my setup is still spot-on.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My first year of hunting with a crossbow (2017), I think I adopted the 'it's on, no need to shoot it' thought process. Of course I always shoot & get ready in September (or earlier if it isn't too hot). There were no problems with that until late October 2018 when I took a shot at a coyote and realized I was hitting 6-8 inches low - I'd under estimated distance, would have missed anyway. But it did make me understand that I probably should shoot a few arrows through the crossbow about once a week during the season just to confirm set up & the biggest variable - Me!

And yes, other than the scope that one day, so far the most out of whack thing I have found is Me, but that comes & goes.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'd have to answer your poll as "never," but that's because you asked if we check for accuracy BEFORE hunts. I do not. Nevertheless, I carry a discharge target with me every time I hunt, and so at the END of every hunt, I test for accuracy, and if my xb is not hitting dead-on when I discharge, I definitely will put a few more shots on the target to see if that was a fluke or not. I did have to adjust my elevation a couple of weeks ago with this method... must have bumped the scope?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I set up a target 20 yds from my vehicle and shoot a field point after every sit. In the evening it’s in the headlights. Let’s me know if something is wrong. I am lucky and mostly hunt on my own property so it’s a one time set up and I don’t have to worry about someone taking my target.

·
Registered
11,350 Posts
In my mind before a hunt can mean the day before you go. I usually verify that my sights are on a few times during the season. If I bump or hit my scope against something it will be checked as soon as I get home every time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I like to shoot, and tune bows, so I shoot a good bit. It does slow down during deer season though because I have to rush after work to get to the woods in time to hunt.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I unload my bow after the hunt into a bag target -- so that is a check.

I've been fortunate that all of the crossbows I've used over the decades have never had a major issue -- other than wear on the serving.

Horns

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’ve started bowhunting in 65’, and there may have been a year or two that I never shot an arrow prior to going into the hunting season.

Most likely I rarely shot during the season as well. I used to shoot competitively in leagues and whenever I did pick up my bow it seemed like riding a bicycle.
I hear you BUT...scopes do change point of aim for all kinds of reason and they do it when sitting perfectly still.
Temps speak to this most commonly.
You really trust a scope that much?
Not attacking....Just asking and please do elaborate on your answer if there is anything to elaborate on.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll check ... if I think something is wrong. Something being wrong might be me!...lol If I think a shot went somewhere I didn't want I'll check my shot sequence. Not following through, not seeing the crosshair, pulling my head out too soon to watch the death run direction in the near dark conditions. Crap that can creep into your shooting. I'm just not shooting far enough to need to get overly persnickety about the equipment.
I get that BUT...
I have had very real issues that I found before hitting the stand, by taking a one shot out the door. I dont want to figure it out after the fact.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd have to answer your poll as "never," but that's because you asked if we check for accuracy BEFORE hunts. I do not. Nevertheless, I carry a discharge target with me every time I hunt, and so at the END of every hunt, I test for accuracy, and if my xb is not hitting dead-on when I discharge, I definitely will put a few more shots on the target to see if that was a fluke or not. I did have to adjust my elevation a couple of weeks ago with this method... must have bumped the scope?
This is what I have done forever BUT...
I got a crank and I dont have to discharge anymore and have not a few times. Very poor practice on my part.
I am going to start (again) checking on discharge after the hunt.

Reactions: Statgeek

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Reactions: USAF Ret in Wis
1 - 20 of 46 Posts