Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the Excalibur add they make the most accurate crossbow in the world. Well if it will outshoot my Horton HD 175 it must be something else.
Yesterday at the world class 3-d range at Ft Polk Louisiana, I gave Clamity Jane a formal workout. Amoung the rest of the shooting instructors there, we all tried the crossbow as it was the first one anybody had ever seen on the range.

A 3-D deer target took a 12 hit with my first shot from the tower at 30 yards from a rest and then 2 10s offhand. That was pretty easy.

The little Horton 4 power scope is right on the money with its lines and mildots all the way out to 60 yards.

Although I'm trying to go by the book, and stick with the ethical hunting range of 40 yards, its kind of difficult when you are averageing 1.5 inches at 50 yards, my best was 1 inch. Now is this normal or what?...this is my first crossbow as you know.:confused:

·
310 Posts
Uncle John's Outdoors,
A crossbow in the right hands with the correct arrow for the job at hand will be devistating.
I let people shoot my Recon all the time which usually ends up with chipped arrows.
3 weekends ago, I was showing off and robin hooded, offhand, at 45 yards.
Is it the shooter? Yes.
Is it the crossbow / arrow combination? Yes.
Congrads on your shooting. Keep it up. You are definetly part of the right combo for your crossbow setup.

Thanks,
Mark W. Beck
Engineering Tech.
Horton Mfg.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Uncle Johns Outdoors,

The Hortons are truly accurate and yes, I myself try and stay in the lines of what is said to be desired shooting distance, but only as far as trophy hunting and game animals. Now I've been known to fling arrows at 50-60 yards at coyotes and bobcats. You know, light animals.

In my early years of experimentation with the crossbow and my hunting skills, I did push it and I shot on the last evening of season one year, a buck at 55 yards. I did hit him, but I didn't get the penetration I wanted. The arrow had lost too much energy for a good clean kill. I believe I would have been better off with a gut shot instead of hitting him in the shoulder. I realized that was the limit of the 165 lb pull bow.
For shooting targets, you're good to go! Shoot away! BTW, I'm a firm believer that it's good to know what the limits are with any peice of equipment you use. Go experiment for yourself once you think you are one with whatever you use. Don't just read the specs, write your own.
And all equipment claim to be the most accurate, so try them all yourself. Experience is knowledge.

·
Banned
1,256 Posts
These Recon accuracy stories are really starting to agitate me. :confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was the guy that exposed the infamous "Durango" tests to the world which claimed to shoot 4 inch groups at 100 yards. After a close examination of the target butt, the groups were found to be at 30 yards and not 100. The key was the 30 yard butt was the only one on the range that had a round top, the 100 yard butt had a square top. Very obvious once you look at it. The NABHC have now removed these pics from the website but still tell the BS story.

Frankly i think I can hit a large target at 100 yards if I had enough field of view in my scope. But of course this is way out of hunting range. I have been a competitive shooter with rifles for years so I have all the shooting skill. I dont think the Durango guy did but his equipment wasnt good enough either. I'm sure someone with a specialized target crossbow could make that shot, but not with a Durango..Im going to try it with the Horton HD 175 but it will be a chore.

We once took 12 guage shotgun hulls and shot them at 200 yards with a .22 long rifle. about 2 out of three not bad...but the scopes had to be mounted in such a way it was impratical for hunting. the hold over for 70 yards is about the same as it is with a 22 at 200 yards for your information.

·
310 Posts
Uncle John's Outdoors,
Don't forget to use the dial-a-range on the HD 175.
If you change it to a higher number, you get new yardage settings. I don't know if you tried this or not. I just thought to mention.

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, Hoss I am perfectly aware of it, and I would use it if I had a red dot or single crosshair scope. The Horton 4X scope was close to dead on with the factory mounting so it required very little adjustment for a clean 20 yard zero. The rest was simply atomatic out to 60 yards. the only thing that had to be compensated for was the wind that made card spliting a little difficult at 30 yards.

They showed me a Hawk crossbow scope at my proshop and it was impressive. But the horton scope was fine in my book. the only improvement i could see to make is a wider field of few, and eyepeice found on Bushnell scopes, the only scope I know that paralexes at 20. So who makes the Horton scope?

·
310 Posts
Uncle John's Outdoors,
As of July 08, Horton has entered into a joint venture with a 3rd party to produce Horton Scopes.

Thanks,
Mark W. Beck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts