Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out shooting this morning and notice that I have a broken cable strand. Just what I need to see 14 days from opening day of deer season. The cables have a ton of wax on them, so I have no idea what caused this, but this is the last thing I have time to deal with right now. I don't have another set, there's no shop nearby that I trust, and in my opinion, this is ridiculous for a bow with so few shots on it = maybe 150-200 MAX. In case it's not apparent, I'm extremely frustrated. I don't have the money to buy new strings right now, and shouldn't have to, I don't have time to be running around getting them installed by some jackleg shop, and then turn around and re-sight in the bow. I finally had this thing dialed in out to 50 yards after a few weeks of shooting. All I needed to do was check broadhead flight, and then I see this.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Sure is a bad situation to be in. Give Barnett a call. Tell em over night the cables. At least you'll have em. Of find a set online. You buy from a dealer?

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Mail had not run yet so they should be picked up and on way today. I rubbed them down with triident silicon grease. They have never been on my xbow. Can not vouch for quality. Made by someone other than Marty. I believe the servings are done in diamondback.

·
Registered
13,328 Posts
What?!? No cable slide on that bow?!?

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
No cable slides. Put 1100 shots on last set of strings and cables. Customs. The stock sets just do not hold up as well.... Course none of the other companies do either. Great strings and cables are made by hand.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Mail had not run yet so they should be picked up and on way today. I rubbed them down with triident silicon grease. They have never been on my xbow. Can not vouch for quality. Made by someone other than Marty. I believe the servings are done in diamondback.
Wow, way to pay it forward Huntersthompson.
You made Twatt's day and I hope it comes around 100 times to you.
Sincerely,
dynamo61

BTW, would it be safe to shoot with the cable in that condition?
I mean if you were really in a pickle.
It looks like one broken strand out of a dozen maybe?
Not trying to be a smart-alec or anything, I honestly do not know.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
I think ( not positive) that the cables are individual stands of string material. If so then it would probably be safe to shoot. I would want to know for certain though because if it is one long strand wrapped on its self it will damage the whole strand.
How about it Marty? How are cables laid out?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Wow, way to pay it forward Huntersthompson.
You made Twatt's day and I hope it comes around 100 times to you.
Sincerely,
dynamo61

BTW, would it be safe to shoot with the cable in that condition?
I mean if you were really in a pickle.
It looks like one broken strand out of a dozen maybe?
Not trying to be a smart-alec or anything, I honestly do not know.
Agree 100% on your first statement .archers helping others is AWESOME!!!

To answer your question . it would be safe to keep on shooting with a broken strand . I would remove it back to where there is serving and cut off .

A 36 strand cable is way stronger than needed . I have made cables as low as 30 to
32 strands .

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Agree 100% on your first statement .archers helping others is AWESOME!!!

To answer your question . it would be safe to keep on shooting with a broken strand . I would remove it back to where there is serving and cut off .

A 36 strand cable is way stronger than needed . I have made cables as low as 30 to
32 strands .
How many in string?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I think ( not positive) that the cables are individual stands of string material. If so then it would probably be safe to shoot. I would want to know for certain though because if it is one long strand wrapped on its self it will damage the whole strand.
How about it Marty? How are cables laid out?
Yes a string is one continuous rap .but one strand in a twisted cable or string and has serving wrapped over it will not come out . May stretch a touch but not bad .

I would get it replaced asap but I would hunt with it till I could replace .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts