Crossbow Nation banner
81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
5,233 Posts
How does this scope compare to an evo x for strictly a hunting scope?
Optically I thought they were almost the same (I had an early Evo, not one of the latest ones). The Evo reticle is finer, better for precise target shooting. The MV reticle is dots of decreasing size. The top two are fairly large, and easy to see unlit, while the Evo’s finer reticle had to be lit up to see several minutes before the MV did. The MV seemed to have a bit more magnification at the same speed setting. I compared them to and beyond last legal time (30min after sunset). I kept the MV 36.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Optically I thought they were almost the same (I had an early Evo, not one of the latest ones). The Evo reticle is finer, better for precise target shooting. The MV reticle is dots of decreasing size. The top two are fairly large, and easy to see unlit, while the Evo’s finer reticle had to be lit up to see several minutes before the MV did. The MV seemed to have a bit more magnification at the same speed setting. I compared them to and beyond last legal time (30min after sunset). I kept the MV 36.
I have a hawke model evo x I believe. It was made by hawke from what I was told? It’s definitely crisp and clear.

I’m thinking very seriously about trying out the mv36. It seems a lot more conducive for hunting. The dots seem to work better for my eyes.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have a hawke model evo x I believe. It was made by hawke from what I was told? It’s definitely crisp and clear.

I’m thinking very seriously about trying out the mv36. It seems a lot more conducive for hunting. The dots seem to work better for my eyes.
I wouldn't get the MV 36 for target shooting as the first couple dots are larger and won't be as precise; ok for hunting though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Congratulations on getting MV 36.

Some more thoughts on the MV.

Rings: I’d get AL extra high. These are nice but too low.

Tracking. Like most every other Xbow specific scope - delayed and imprecise. Seems to take a very little more adjustment than you’d calculate. Make the adjustment by going thru and coming back and tap the adjustment area with your knuckle. Shoot, readjust, 3,4 ,5 times at 20 Yards. Shoot 2-3x at each setting to let it settle in. Get the vertical on but only close horizontally.
After the scope settles in, it’s there!

If shooting 390-400g, dial in the actual speed. If 500g, dial in 25’/sec faster. Shoot at 60. Use the L-R turret to adjust L/R. Use the speed ring for vertical. If hitting high, set the speed dial faster
Then further refine at 80 or 100.

Optically. Great in the center 2/3 but some fisheye on outer 1/3. Shouldn’t be any problem.
Lighted reticle - incredible!

After shooting this for a while and appreciating the perfectly placed reticles, send bmiller a message thanking and congratulating him.😊
I've never heard of AL scope rings and my google foo seems to not bring them up.
Do you happen to have a link and/or size required?

Just picking up my MV36 here hopefully this week an\d finally some arc nocks,. Sadly my shooting has been put on the back burner while my press came in and I have been busy on the job hunt/packing to move and everything else that life brings.

·
6,393 Posts
I've never heard of AL scope rings and my google foo seems to not bring them up.
Do you happen to have a link and/or size required?

Just picking up my MV36 here hopefully this week an\d finally some arc nocks,. Sadly my shooting has been put on the back burner while my press came in and I have been busy on the job hunt/packing to move and everything else that life brings.
Sorry, AL = Aluminum

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ah, here i was looking for a brand,.I'll just pick a set of taller rings at the local store if they have any in stock. ..any idea on the size required? Is it the same as the stock scope? If so I can just break out the calipers and measure those...

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
3,573 Posts
Ah, here i was looking for a brand,.I'll just pick a set of taller rings at the local store if they have any in stock. ..any idea on the size required? Is it the same as the stock scope? If so I can just break out the calipers and measure those...

Ring height is determined by the height of your cheek bones and a bit by how you hold your bow. You can rise your cheek rest but cannot lower it. There are many who are super fussy and fuss to get the exact cheek weld.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·

Scope tube diameter is 30mm of that is what you are looking for. 👍

·
Registered
102 Posts
Excellent, well turns out I need taller then high mounts. Need about 1.5" height for a scope ring, the actual scope mounts that came with my original scope are the same measurement as the high mounts I picked up today, go figure.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Excellent, well turns out I need taller then high mounts. Need about 1.5" height for a scope ring, the actual scope mounts that came with my original scope are the same measurement as the high mounts I picked up today, go figure.

Amazon.ca has various length picatinny rails.
Mount one of these on top of what you already have.
This will increase the height you may require.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
found a set at my local cabelas, that should put the scope directly into my eye line, they had a set out back. Was a fun conversation with the guy there telling me I am holding the gun wrong if I need taller scope rings and it should be mounted as low as possible, some people just don't understand that not all of us want to duck our heads into our rifles, crossbows, etc and want to remain more heads up firing position. Next up though will be the purchase of a very nice sig cross in 6.5CR\, they have on the shelf, oh boy that sucker is nice.

Anyways, now waiting on the mv36 scope to arrive. Back to packing everything up and getting ready to move for the new job.

81 - 100 of 133 Posts