Crossbow Nation banner
641 - 660 of 692 Posts

·
SE VA
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #642 ·
It has proven to be that so far. My Ravin R26, with this many shots, had already shown string and cable problems. I fixed that and it’s been bulletproof proof since. The X1’s string and cables are still good. 👍🏻 Two totally different concepts but I like them both……so far. 😊

·
Registered
545 Posts
Moon,

Do you know how much the inserts in factory supplied X1 arrows weigh?

KI Swat X1
Sig Sauer BDX and Kilo
Thorn Crown 125 and HPX 125

·
SE VA
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #645 · (Edited)
Darn good looking bow, Moon. Looks to be durable and well made.
58, agreed, it’s a nice looking crossbow. Time will tell as to the durability. I’m going to give it lots of use during the next few months, assuming my old body holds up to the task🥴.

·
Registered
545 Posts
70 grains
Thank you sir!

So you went to a 110 gr insert?
Are you still using 100 gr heads or did you jump that up also?

KI Swat X1
Sig Sauer BDX and Kilo
Thorn Crown 125 and HPX 125

·
SE VA
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #649 ·
Got a problem☹……..not the X1, but me. My left shoulder is becoming a big problem for me. Rotator cuff surgery 8 years ago and now I have excruciating pain that hits me several times a day in that shoulder that goes into my neck. I have to crank cock the X1 with my left arm and hand because my right side is useless from a stroke 6 years ago. No more practice shots for me now, just crank cocking for hunting……as long as I can😌.
My R26 is less stressful/easier to cock so I may have to switch over to it before season is over or might have to stop crank cocking that one too. Getting old is so much fun!!!!!🙄😑

·
SE VA
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #650 ·
I’m hard headed. Going to cock the X1 and go in the woods today. Shoulder is feeling better for some reason. I think I’m going to add an extension to make the crank handle even longer. Gotta hunt!!!😊

·
Registered
Sonoran Desert Arizona.
779 Posts
Got a problem☹……..not the X1, but me. My left shoulder is becoming a big problem for me. Rotator cuff surgery 8 years ago and now I have excruciating pain that hits me several times a day in that shoulder that goes into my neck. I have to crank cock the X1 with my left arm and hand because my right side is useless from a stroke 6 years ago. No more practice shots for me now, just crank cocking for hunting……as long as I can😌.
My R26 is less stressful/easier to cock so I may have to switch over to it before season is over or might have to stop crank cocking that one too. Getting old is so much fun!!!!!🙄😑
You are going to need the electric R 500 if it ever shows up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yep, 110 grain inserts with 100 grain heads.
Moon, for the last few years I have been building up my arrows using 92 grain inserts. I have been using 125 grain broadheads for years now. That combination has worked out quite well especially with my current bow.

With that said, I've always found that 125 grain broadheads and/or replacement blades can sometimes be more difficult to find. Therefore, I am considering switching to 110 grain inserts and 100 grain heads. There will be a little difference in finished arrow weight, but not much. I think that it might be worth the change in the long run.

·
5,977 Posts
After years of searching, many years of Spitfires, I think I have settled on the TruGlo 4-blade expandible. Rear opening, no bands, 1 bear, 3 deer on just one TruGlo broadhead, and it’s still in use. Huge holes, tough as nails, etc..

·
Registered
15,189 Posts
Simple solution Tom. Get your wife to crank it for you.
Sounds like you need a cortisone shot in your shoulder though.

·
SE VA
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #656 ·
You guys are something!!!!😆. I had a cortisone shot in that shoulder 7 weeks ago. Doesn’t last long.

·
SE VA
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #657 ·
Moon, for the last few years I have been building up my arrows using 92 grain inserts. I have been using 125 grain broadheads for years now. That combination has worked out quite well especially with my current bow.

With that said, I've always found that 125 grain broadheads and/or replacement blades can sometimes be more difficult to find. Therefore, I am considering switching to 110 grain inserts and 100 grain heads. There will be a little difference in finished arrow weight, but not much. I think that it might be worth the change in the long run.
That has been fun for me over the years, playing with various arrow combinations. I’m not into it like I was for so long due to my declining health but still doing all I can. I agree with your thoughts on switching to 110 grain inserts.

·
SE VA
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #659 ·
Shoulder has continued hurting, especially after crank cocking either the X1 or R26. Cocked the X1 5 times yesterday and, although thinking a few weeks ago that it helped my shoulder pain, it’s proving now to be causing the pain to worsen. Thanks to you guys that PM’d me with suggestions that I might try to overcome this worsening situation other than kicking up pain killers.
Being desperate now to find something that might get me through this hunting season, I tried something this morning that I felt was risky and likely to make matters worse. I pulled my little shortened Excal Micro recurve off the hook and went out in the back yard with it, remembering that I rope cocked it a few times a few months ago with no problem. Pulling the rope cocker up using mainly my back while keeping my arms extended out straight is completely different than cranking 10 to 12 times for each shot.
I cocked the Micro 4 times this morning, scared that it may make matters worse, but I did it anyway to be sure. NO PAIN!!!! 👍🏻and it’s going on 8:30 pm😊. This could backfire on me but I’m going to continue cocking it 3 or 4 times daily and hunt with it until I see it’s eventually going to be causing as much pain as the crank cocking has been causing. Yep, I’ve loved recurves for a long time but I got caught up in the new crossbow technology. Most of my hunting shots over the years have been less than 40 yards and this little crossbow is deadly accurate out to those distances. The arrow just takes longer to get there😆
Wood Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

641 - 660 of 692 Posts