Crossbow Nation banner
661 - 680 of 692 Posts

·
2,547 Posts
Shoulder has continued hurting, especially after crank cocking either the X1 or R26. Cocked the X1 5 times yesterday and, although thinking a few weeks ago that it helped my shoulder pain, it’s proving now to be causing the pain to worsen. Thanks to you guys that PM’d me with suggestions that I might try to overcome this worsening situation other than kicking up pain killers.
Being desperate now to find something that might get me through this hunting season, I tried something this morning that I felt was risky and likely to make matters worse. I pulled my little shortened Excal Micro recurve off the hook and went out in the back yard with it, remembering that I rope cocked it a few times a few months ago with no problem. Pulling the rope cocker up using mainly my back while keeping my arms extended out straight is completely different than cranking 10 to 12 times for each shot.
I cocked the Micro 4 times this morning, scared that it may make matters worse, but I did it anyway to be sure. NO PAIN!!!! 👍🏻and it’s going on 8:30 pm😊. This could backfire on me but I’m going to continue cocking it 3 or 4 times daily and hunt with it until I see it’s eventually going to be causing as much pain as the crank cocking has been causing. Yep, I’ve loved recurves for a long time but I got caught up in the new crossbow technology. Most of my hunting shots over the years have been less than 40 yards and this little crossbow is deadly accurate out to those distances. The arrow just takes longer to get there😆 View attachment 208389
Ever think about trying Relief Factor that's advertised on TV for your shoulder?
$20 to try for a month.

·
SE VA
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #662 ·
Not yet. I have a friend that’s my age with chronic joint pain. He tried it and told me that it did not work for him. He returned the rest of it. I tried CBD gummies but it’s not for me.
If I have to I’ll just sit out in the woods with my camera but, for now, I’m going to try what I described above.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Got a problem……..not the X1, but me. My left shoulder is becoming a big problem for me. Rotator cuff surgery 8 years ago and now I have excruciating pain that hits me several times a day in that shoulder that goes into my neck. I have to crank cock the X1 with my left arm and hand because my right side is useless from a stroke 6 years ago. No more practice shots for me now, just crank cocking for hunting……as long as I can.
My R26 is less stressful/easier to cock so I may have to switch over to it before season is over or might have to stop crank cocking that one too. Getting old is so much fun!!!!!
I betcha burky could engineer an automatic power cocker for your hunting and practice.

What about a cordless high torque drill hammer/motor, with a machined adaptor to fit on the cocker?

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

·
SE VA
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #664 ·
Duke suggested I try that and I may. Right now I’m trying to get through hunting season with what I have.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
The cordless drill rig got me back to shooting much sooner after my recent open heart surgery. The X1 crank would need an adapter to fit were the handle goes, like Zaker suggested. I know it’s not ideal but if it keeps you shooting and hunting it’s worth a shot.
I’m sure there’s someone on here that could created that adapter for you.

·
SE VA
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #666 · (Edited)
I’m looking into it. Thanks
Meanwhile, the X1 is looking good and shooting good😊. I think for hunting purposes I’ll be ok, but I have to stay away from the shooting sessions that I typically do often before and sometimes after the hunt.
I will say this……..this X1 has proven itself with unbelievable accuracy using X1 supplied arrows with only switching to 170 grain inserts. It’s exceptionally small and well balanced with a good trigger. Lots to like about this little crossbow. String and cables are showing good durability.
So far, it’s standing shoulder to shoulder with my beloved little R26. Two extremely different designs that offer many of the same advantages for folks looking for minimal size and easy to handle features. Shootem both and you decide👍🏻😊

BTW, shooting the heavy inserts, the X1 is still quite a bit faster than the slowed down to 352 fps R26 but the X1 is a lot quieter shooting.
Trigger Air gun Automotive design Wood Shotgun

·
Registered
545 Posts
Moon,

As a machinist I will look into what I can make to adapt a drill to the existing crank mechanism for the X1

I’ll dig into a design and see what I can come up with for a 1/4” drive unit and let you know.

KI Swat X1
Sig Sauer BDX and Kilo
Thorn Crown 125 and HPX 125

·
Registered
545 Posts
Z-Rider, thanks.
It might take me a hot minute but I’ll do what I can for ya.

Going through contract negotiations this week and I’m on the committee. Once that calms down I’ll get more design time.

I have two X1 crank cockers here so I can take one to work and leave it there so I can try a prototype right away and adjust on the fly.

I’ll keep you posted

Homer

KI Swat X1
Sig Sauer BDX and Kilo

·
Registered
545 Posts
Z, thanks again. In the meantime I just might add another inch or two to the cocking handle length.
Sent ya a PM bud

KI Swat X1
Sig Sauer BDX and Kilo

·
SE VA
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #672 ·
Z, got it. Thanks.

Limiting my shots to 2 or 3 per day seems to be working for me. At least I can hunt with the X1 without shoulder problems. I’d love to pop a nice buck with it 👍🏻. I’d get Ramrod to drag him out for me😆.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Adaptor is packed up and ready to go out Thursday.

It can be used on right or left sides. Seems to work well, I tested a few times before packing it

Let me know your thoughts and if any improvement can be made, it’s a prototype so keep that in mind.

Wanted to get something in your hands to help out and we can modify from there

I have another idea as well but it will involve cannibalizing the stock crank handle.

Homer

KI Swat X1
Sig Sauer BDX and Kilo

·
Registered
228 Posts

It can be used on right or left sides. Seems to work well, I tested a few times before packing it

Let me know your thoughts and if any improvement can be made, it’s a prototype so keep that in mind.

I have another idea as well but it will involve cannibalizing the stock crank handle.

Homer
KI Swat X1
Sig Sauer BDX and Kilo
We’ll done Z-Rider.

·
12,620 Posts
Z, got it. Thanks.

Limiting my shots to 2 or 3 per day seems to be working for me. At least I can hunt with the X1 without shoulder problems. I’d love to pop a nice buck with it 👍🏻. I’d get Ramrod to drag him out for me😆.
Now there's a friend! (y)
Vertebrate Carnivore Dog Organism Mammal

·
Registered
28 Posts

Homer

KI Swat X1
Sig Sauer BDX and Kilo
If you need a donor crank... let me know.. i dont forsee ever taking mine out of the box.

·
Registered
545 Posts
If you need a donor crank... let me know.. i dont forsee ever taking mine out of the box.
May take you up on that

KI Swat X1
Sig Sauer BDX and Kilo

661 - 680 of 692 Posts