Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's nice to see honest discussion on the capabilities of Crossbows, not like was advertised a few years ago, "Meet Your Next Rifle".

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
This is a very rational understanding and informative explanation. I would often wonder about this, if shooting from a faster crossbow could increase the ethical range. I can quit wondering.

·
8,899 Posts
Nice video … but I'd argue every single point the guy brought up limiting "ethical" distance to 50 yards. Strikes me as being a lawyer video to limit liability same as those ridiculous intrusive lawyer displays that pop up and lock out my navigator screen until I agree to not take my eyes off the road to view the screen. Preemptive ammo for use in court or class action lawsuits.

50 yards is a nice generality for longest shot and I have no issue with people subscribing to it according to their own skill, experience and personal philosophy. Those who are new to crossbows and have been brainwashed buying into all the 100 yard/rifle crap. I see the good in the video trying to counter that sport and industry marketing disaster. Still, kinda smacks of reparation's for something that we had no part of...lol

Reactions: SEW and Martymig

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Nice video … but I'd argue every single point the guy brought up limiting "ethical" distance to 50 yards. Strikes me as being a lawyer video to limit liability same as those ridiculous intrusive lawyer displays that pop up and lock out my navigator screen until I agree to not take my eyes off the road to view the screen. Preemptive ammo for use in court or class action lawsuits.

50 yards is a nice generality for longest shot and I have no issue with people subscribing to it according to their own skill, experience and personal philosophy.
You have to draw the line somewhere. Increasing it to 60 would make a difference? I said it before and I'll say it again, if you had to pay for a non-recovered animal, what would be your "ethical" range? That's how you can come to a better understanding,.IMO.
What would be the max yardage then? I would say <40.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Yes, that, "shoots like a rifle" BS was sorta shoved onto the scene and onto us like we were supposed to think it was a norm or something.

·
8,899 Posts
The "line"... is drawn by each individual shooter according to his ability, experience, skills, equipment and conditions. There is no set in stone ethical range. I have a stickbow buddy who I swear is pushing the border of unethical after 17 yards. I know guys who can hold 4" groups at 100 yards.

It's like safely driving a golf ball with a foursome in front of you. You have guys who "average" anywhere from 150 yards to guys who are now averaging 400 yards! So what's the set in stone average? 200? 220 yards? How far away before you can "ethically" hit your ball with golfers on the fairway in front of you? Could you post a regulation that there must be 250 yards before you can hit? No, it's up to the individual to know his own limits and abilities. There is no determinable ethical distance.

It's not a "bad" video. I just think that there's more behind it than meets the eye. And, it's geared to a certain level of shooter. The "average" crossbower...lol ;)

Reactions: SEW

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's nice to see honest discussion on the capabilities of Crossbows, not like was advertised a few years ago, "Meet Your Next Rifle".
THAT WAS A GREAT VIDEO, I WAS GLAD SOMEONE DID THIS, IT MENT MORE COMING FROM THE MANUFACTOR OF A CROSSBOW. THANKS TO TENPOINT!! FOR MYSELF I TRY TO STAY AROUND 45 FEET OR LESS NOT BECAUSE OF THE BOW BUT I PACTICE ALOT AND THAT IS MY BEST SHOOTING DISTANCE. I HAVE A VAPOR 470 AND IT IS A .VERY NICE SHOOTING CROSSBOW. LETS ALL STAY WITHIN OUR LIMITS.

·
Happy Member
5,466 Posts
That’s 15 yards or less. My minimum practice is 20 yards. Distance and ability is NOT the same for every shooter!

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
847 Posts
TP did a nice job with this video. At the range, I can nail deer vitals all day long as far as 50 yards away, but in the woods, my comfort level maxes out around 40 yards, and I have definitely passed shot opportunities at that distance due to being unsure about potential sticks or weeds between me and the deer. I'm obsessed with an ethical kill, regardless of whether hunting by xb, muzzleloader, or modern gun, and I would rather go home empty handed than without an animal that I believe I may have wounded.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TP did a nice job with this video. At the range, I can nail deer vitals all day long as far as 50 yards away, but in the woods, my comfort level maxes out around 40 yards, and I have definitely passed shot opportunities at that distance due to being unsure about potential sticks or weeds between me and the deer. I'm obsessed with an ethical kill, regardless of whether hunting by xb, muzzleloader, or modern gun, and I would rather go home empty handed than without an animal that I believe I may have wounded.
Agree. Last year I shot at a deer at 30 yds. It was an area with a lot of low brush. The deer was walking a lane that looked "clear". It was early morning and still not bright out. I shot and followed the lighted nock. At the last 5 yds or so, the light made a quick right hand turn. Instead of getting a double lung I ended up with a long track with mostly liver. It only takes a twig to throw you off. I would not hesitate to take a 50 yd shot in a open field though.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Great video. Regardless of how much power your crossbow has, its still “ not your next rifle ! “

·
2,796 Posts
While I agree with the main points, there's no doubt that crossbows are quickly evolving into longer range weapons in the eyes of some shooters, definitely in the eyes of many companies looking to make $$. To me, it is similar to the change in muzzleloaders from "primitive" flintlocks and sidelock percussion to scoped, inline and smokeless guns. Hardly even the same sport, IMO. I don't care a whole lot what others can do with a great percentage of success. I do think it opens the door for wannabes to do a lot of wounding, as they likely won't put in the time, effort, and equipment refinement to do what experts do or claim to do. Me? Don't much care about the yearly "upgrade". I will continue to set up stands like I did when I was still carrying a compound bow. I hope to continue my record of not shooting a deer past 25 yards with a crossbow. I much prefer the slam dunk shot and watch them fall in sight. JMO

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Great video!!!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
While I agree with the main points, there's no doubt that crossbows are quickly evolving into longer range weapons in the eyes of some shooters, definitely in the eyes of many companies looking to make $$. To me, it is similar to the change in muzzleloaders from "primitive" flintlocks and sidelock percussion to scoped, inline and smokeless guns. Hardly even the same sport, IMO. I don't care a whole lot what others can do with a great percentage of success. I do think it opens the door for wannabes to do a lot of wounding, as they likely won't put in the time, effort, and equipment refinement to do what experts do or claim to do. Me? Don't much care about the yearly "upgrade". I will continue to set up stands like I did when I was still carrying a compound bow. I hope to continue my record of not shooting a deer past 25 yards with a crossbow. I much prefer the slam dunk shot and watch them fall in sight. JMO
I agree 100%. Especially love when i watch all these inline ML guys referring to their rifle as a "Smoke Pole". SMDH.
Being from PA like myself, you know that inline and percussion ML's were not allowed except during regular firearms season for a LONG time. There was no special season for modern muzzle loaders or cap guns for a long time, and there was only "Primitive firearms" season, which has always been for flintlock only.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm subjective on the whole thing. I agree that it depends on the ability of the shooter, but it SHOULD also factor in some common sense, which we all know isn't always so common. LOL!. Probably why I'm not and never have been a big archery target shooter. Some of these guys get carried away with distance capabilities in real world hunting situations, due in large part to the fact they have accomplished such shots in 3D tournaments, practice, etc. I used to shoot vert 3D with all my buddies from the pro shop.
There were some damn good 3D shooters in out crowd, but the majority of them were not very good hunter's truth be told. Many suffered Buck fever, and when it was time to cash in on meat, they would flat out miss A LOT! They would razz me because I wasn't in their league as a 3D shooter, but I always got payback by telling them "You can't eat a target, and as soon as it's something edible, you miss it"!

Heck, I'm still trying to figure out when rangefinders became a "Must have" in archery hunting. :eek: In our day that was half of the skill in bow hunting. Knowing distance under pressure and executing the shot. If you guessed the wrong distance, you missed and had to live with it until the next opportunity came along. That's how you separate the men from the boys and you stop people from cranking off 100 yard shots at game....take their rangefinders! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
I'm subjective on the whole thing. I agree that it depends on the ability of the shooter, but it SHOULD also factor in some common sense, which we all know isn't always so common. LOL!. Probably why I'm not and never have been a big archery target shooter. Some of these guys get carried away with distance capabilities in real world hunting situations, due in large part to the fact they have accomplished such shots in 3D tournaments, practice, etc. I used to shoot vert 3D with all my buddies from the pro shop.
There were some damn good 3D shooters in out crowd, but the majority of them were not very good hunter's truth be told. Many suffered Buck fever, and when it was time to cash in on meat, they would flat out miss A LOT! They would razz me because I wasn't in their league as a 3D shooter, but I always got payback by telling them "You can't eat a target, and as soon as it's something edible, you miss it"!

Heck, I'm still trying to figure out when rangefinders became a "Must have" in archery hunting. :eek: In our day that was half of the skill in bow hunting. Knowing distance under pressure and executing the shot. If you guessed the wrong distance, you missed and had to live with it until the next opportunity came along. That's how you separate the men from the boys and you stop people from cranking off 100 yard shots at game....take their rangefinders! :ROFLMAO:
This was the impression I was under when I first decided to get into Archery. I couldn't understand why there was a need for all the gizmos.... when I first started target practicing, I didn't feel it was nessassary to get a rangefinder. I would just judge the distances by eye where I would place my target bag and I was doing really well. I even hit a few robin hoods. But, as time went by and I started reading more and seeing all these high tech gadgets, I thought to myself, I need a rangefinder and a good scope... I guess it's for the benefit of the animal that I chose to go in this direction. That is, when I finally shoot one, I don't want to miss and just injure one then have that on my concionse that I couldve ranged it properly with all this modern technology available instead of trying to shoot blindly....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts