Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All one has to do to see how well we are doing is visit the various Bowsite state forums. The better we are doing, the more spun up they seem to get. Generally, xbow threads there don't last any longer than a Twinkie in Rosie O'Donnells purse as their own members start to question the mass opposition. In this case, [La] the last post there: http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/regional/thread.cfm?threadid=151066&MESSAGES=14&state=LA#1510434
was back in March sometime. it's kind of ironic that one of Bowsite's sponsors is Bowtech, introducer of the Stryker and Desert Stryker. Go figure!

·
11,412 Posts
It's funny

that mechanical compound bow hunters with all their gadgets, triggers, levels, battery powered fiber optics sights, stabilizers, drop away arrow rests, peeps and other contraptions on their bows that were allowed to intrude into what was a traditional recurve and long bow archery season, are NOW silly enough to think THEY have the right to draw a line in the sand that would keep crossbows out of bowhunting season:ack2:

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Moonkryket said:
that mechanical compound bow hunters with all their gadgets, triggers, levels, battery powered fiber optics sights, stabilizers, drop away arrow rests, peeps and other contraptions on their bows that were allowed to intrude into what was a traditional recurve and long bow archery season, are NOW silly enough to think THEY have the right to draw a line in the sand that would keep crossbows out of bowhunting season:ack2:
AMEN!!!!!

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Moonkryket said:
You got that right Moon! Fwiw, I shot my first compound in 1989. Over draw, light carbons, all the bells and whistles. Had 5 in a group the size of a coffee cup at 10 o'clock at 25 yds, about 4" out. Could have easily moved pins to compensate. Fast forward to about a month ago, had company from Canada and shot a sweet compound one shot at 30 yds. Missed the "X" by 2". Shoulda quit there, lol, but the guy had one of the nicest looking recurves I'd ever seen. took one shot w/ it at about 15 yds and missed the target by 3' and stuck an arrow in the fender of my atv. One type takes dedication, the other just money. My shoulder quit hurting about a week later. My pride may never recover, lol.

·
TenPoint Representative
1,884 Posts
LA is not a done deal yet. The Bill only passed the Senate and still has a long road before it gets out of the House Natural Resource Committee and then to the House floor.

Randy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let's compare

Moonkryket said:
Which is easier in this situation?

You are in your stand and you have a huge Boone & Crockett coming in at about 100 yds very slowly and the wind is in your favor.

Would it be more sportsman like and skill involved to do the following:

a) Raise your crossbow up into shooting position and look through your scope until he gets within range and shoot him with a weapon that requires no movement to draw the string back once the deer is within range. Kinda like shooting your rifle except the range is narrowed down to 40yds max.

:D Wait until he is within shooting range and where you may be able to move unnoticed while having to manually draw your bow back , align the peep on the appropriate pin and hold it there . Keep in mind that if the situation isn't right, you may have to let the bow back down again at which you are causing more motion again. Then having to make more movement by redrawing again and that's if he doesn't see you first.

I would think that someone who wants a challenge involved would choose (B) and someone that is only out for a quick and effortless kill would choose (a).

I know that I can hold a gun up for a lot longer time than I can my bow at full draw.

Now don't get me wrong here. I am definately not against a xbow. I just don't think that it should be allowed during bow season. There should be a seperate crossbow season. I don't think that you muzzle loader hunters would want a rifle allowed during that brief season.

You have a right to hunt with whatever weapon that is approved by that state, but, it should also be on a level playing ground.

To us bowhunters it is like playing a golf game against Tiger Woods. He will have the upper hand at the game.

This is just my opinion and I don't mean to stir anything up.

Good luck with your crossbows this season. Really!

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
retnuhwob said:
Which is easier in this situation?

You are in your stand and you have a huge Boone & Crockett coming in at about 100 yds very slowly and the wind is in your favor.

Would it be more sportsman like and skill involved to do the following:

a) Raise your crossbow up into shooting position and look through your scope until he gets within range and shoot him with a weapon that requires no movement to draw the string back once the deer is within range. Kinda like shooting your rifle except the range is narrowed down to 40yds max.

:D Wait until he is within shooting range and where you may be able to move unnoticed while having to manually draw your bow back , align the peep on the appropriate pin and hold it there . Keep in mind that if the situation isn't right, you may have to let the bow back down again at which you are causing more motion again. Then having to make more movement by redrawing again and that's if he doesn't see you first.

I would think that someone who wants a challenge involved would choose (B) and someone that is only out for a quick and effortless kill would choose (a).

I know that I can hold a gun up for a lot longer time than I can my bow at full draw.

Now don't get me wrong here. I am definately not against a xbow. I just don't think that it should be allowed during bow season. There should be a seperate crossbow season. I don't think that you muzzle loader hunters would want a rifle allowed during that brief season.

You have a right to hunt with whatever weapon that is approved by that state, but, it should also be on a level playing ground.

To us bowhunters it is like playing a golf game against Tiger Woods. He will have the upper hand at the game.

This is just my opinion and I don't mean to stir anything up.

Good luck with your crossbows this season. Really!
The answer to your question is neither. Not one is any easier than the other. Here's why.
First thing wrong here is a crossbow has to be drawn as well, weather it's when an animal is close or before hand. Second is have you ever held tight with an 8 lb bow? It's alot harder than with a 3 or 4 pound bow, so in that case, the crossbow is harder to hold tight on target, and may indeed have to be put back down, long before the 3 or 4 lb bow does.Does this mean a crossbow is more sporting according to your statement? The crossbow is heavier t hold than the vertical bow. That has nothing at all to do with sportsmanship as you tell it. Next, without moving, how to you suspect I get my peep, or dot, or crosshairs on the animal without movement? The same as anyone else does, I say. Ain't gonna be a very good shot if I don't move onto my target now is it? So much for that theory. Next, I cock my crossbow in front of game all the time as shown in many of my hunting videos posted even on youtube for people to watch and learn. So, that theory in trashed as well. I've proven that over and over again. It's public knowledge now. If your truly interested in seeing it done, let me know and I'll send you a link to one of the videos. Then, what's the next point? I've already posted proof on the internet that this old argument is not the truth. It's merely a smoke and mirrors argument that inexperienced crossbow shooters may not have enough education on both pieces of equipment as of yet to be able and argue. So, what does that leave as a good reason to not allow another type of bow into a bow season? Prey tell me. There isn't one. I'm sure you agree that are shooting ranges are similar since they are both bows, yes?
By the way, how much hunting experience do you personally have using a crossbow? You know, I just want to insure you know exactly what your talking about here, being your telling another hunter the facts.
I'm not trying to be ugly, I'm just repairing misinformation I read in your post. Also, a muzzleloader and a rifle are two different hunting tools as well, with the muzzleloader having a much shorter shooting range than a rifle and why there is two different seasons for those two different hunting tools. The different seasons are based on, and determined by shooting range. The vertical compound bow and the crossbow are in that same category whereas the long bow is not and according to your information, should have retained soley the current archery season since that specific tools range is much shorter. From what your suggesting, the compound bows and crossbows would then be the ones that shared a separate season from the true primative archery season.
What's this "like playing golf against Tiger Woods"? The difference between you and Tiger is the amount of golf practice you each participate in, nothing more. He has more experience than you I imagine, and it's not the golf clubs you, or he uses. Get it? The same with either bow. It's not the bow, but experience and practice each puts in. No such thing as a level playing field card being played in the conversation when in fact the two bows take the same skill and practice to be successful with. The crossbow is not a magical weapon. No such thing buddy. Just go try it before you make these blind judgements about the differences, and tell another hunter "facts" based on ideas only? Experience is everything, but most importantly, real knowledge.
Good compound bow hunting yourself this season. Really.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
compare

Good to let us know where you stand on your first post.
I have only been a bow hunter for Fifty years and used every bow that came down the chute.
Believe me the there is just as much excitement and Adrenalin rush with my crossbow as with other bows.

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts

Either way it's still golf.

BTW, Let me warn you now, this is a very pro crossbow site. I would love to have you hang around and learn a little about the crossbow and crossbow hunting if that is your intention. But be warned, If you came here to tell other "bow" hunters that they are not on the same level as you, you will not last long here.

·
665 Posts
Urban Legend said:

Either way it's still golf.

BTW, Let me warn you now, this is a very pro crossbow site. I would love to have you hang around and learn a little about the crossbow and crossbow hunting if that is your intention. But be warned, If you came here to tell other "bow" hunters that they are not on the same level as you, you will not last long here.
That is the gospel right there Well Said

1 - 14 of 14 Posts