Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the early part of the season hunting and providing a couple deer for families in need. Working towards the end of our season we had a lot of heavy snow and miserable cold and windy weather, with several days below zero. For the last two seasons with my 320, I was simply dissatisfied with consistency of my carbon arrows and Rage broad heads, fighting spine problems with shafts and poor blood trails with the Rages. I switched to 2219s and Swhacker 125 grain 2 1/4" cut heads.

It the last day of the season and again miserable weather. With 2 open tags I push myself to tough it out, bundle up like "Nanook of the North" and go crawl into my ground blind. I arrive at our woods at 2:45PM and wade through 8" of snow back to my ground blind, kick back the snow and freshen up my corn pile, unzip the door and crawl in, cock and load my 320 and drop in in my Caldwell, look at my watch 3:07 PM.

Still fidgeting around in my chair to get comfortable, I glance out my window and see a big doe approaching my corn pile from the right, she circles and comes in goes to a relaxed state 18 yards broadside. I hold on the heart, squeeze and the doe dropped in it's tracks. I mean this deer literally imploded on it's feet, directly in my corn pile. I sat there with complete disbelief, knowing this was not a spine shot. My bow is still in my Dead Shot, sitting there empty, after the shot. I check my watch 3:17 PM. Continuing to sit there watching to see if she is going to get up and leave (she never moved)------- now I see movement to my left and here comes another big doe in, head lowered, drom about 50 yards out.

Clearing my head, I remove my 320 and reload and put it back in the Caldwell, thinking it's never going to happen, as the incoming doe will blow and spook, as soon as she winds or sees the other doe laying in the corn or hears me cocking and loading my crossbow. Much to my surprise she just keeps coming in and stops about 10 feet away, then comes in and completely beyound belief, steps directly over the downed doe and goes head down in the corn, broadside at 18 yards, same shot different direction. Hold on the same exact spot as the first, squeezed, arrow slams and blows thru the deer, she ran 30 yards and piled up, in my line of sight.

Both deer down within 45 minutes, but takes till dark to get them field dressed and drug out. The 2 shot entries were within 1 1/2" of one another, the first doe was a complete heart pass thru, the second nicked the heart pass thru. Filled the tags, the cuber, and freezer with 2 very nice older does!

Needless to say, the old 2219s were a giant step backwards in technology (cut down from some blanks with a packing slip dated April 1979 still stapled on the box), but I'm certainly pleased with the performance out of my crossbow!

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
Congrats!! Wow "Nanook of the North" I remember that film from school back in the day.I also had one drop in its tracks this past season.It was a quartering away shot with its head down.Its the one in my avatar pic.Thats the way she laid with the arrow hanging out.Took out 3 ribs both lungs and the top of the heart and lodged in the spine.Where the shoulders,neck and spine all come together.Believe it or not but the shot was taken from a tree about 20ft up at 15 yards.She was on a slight incline with her front legs lower than the back.Nap killzone 100grn 290-295 at fps.I still look at the pictures and cant believe how the arrow looks and what the damage was at the angle I took the shot from.From the pics you would think I was below the deer not above it.My only guess is the arrow deflected some how off of the spine or ribs some how.It did go right were I was aiming though.I might add it was a very small yearling that the land owner wanted taken out because of over population.If it wasn't for one tree or 2 steps I would have had a second as well but it was several hours later unlike yours.Great job Eric.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have dropped several quickly in past years, but always with a spine shot and put down several similar to this with my .270.

This doe literally beat the arrow to the ground, after it passed thru.

I sat there completely dumbfounded, mouth wide open, in complete and utter disbelief. Then it really went over the top when the second doe came in and stepped over the first (like it wasn't even there)!

Never had a chance to get cold and was sweating like I had ran a marathon from the time I shot the first doe, until I had them hanging in the garage rafters. Had to take my insulated suit off and store it in the truck, after dragging the first one out.

What a season, I'm going to have a tuff time fishing till October, with my crossbow hanging downstairs ( it will be nagging at me all spring and summer). Have been working on my Action Cam mount in my spare time, wish I would have had it on the bow and running. My bow will never make a trip to the woods without it again!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Loved the story.....late season in the snow is a fantastic time!

Horns

Reactions: DocR
1 - 7 of 7 Posts