Crossbow Nation banner

Last piece of beef that was in my freezer

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  wildcatter 
#1 ·
My freezers are both nearly overflowing currently between wild boar and venison. Decided it was time to get this big chunk cooked up. Just short of 14#, so it will be all day and into the evening. Currently smoking at 225-230 with a combo of hickory and cherry.
Food Ingredient Beef Cuisine Cooking

See less See more
#3 ·
Should be. Kinda wish I had waited until tomorrow. It’s a sunny 65 today and I’d like nothing more than to take one of my 2 wheeled fossil-fueled machines for a long ride. Tomorrow will be 40 and dreary once again. Who am I kidding? I’ll still ride tomorrow!

#8 · (Edited)
Not a problem,,,,,
Bumper Wood Gas Automotive exterior Table

A little expensive, but after over 40 years running smokers, nothing easier and absolutely nothing does it better! If it wasn't good, it wouldn't be ban from competition,,,, It makes perfection easy! set it and forget it,,, use real wood you cut and acquire, not BS sold in a bag with no clue where it originated!!! Whole briskets only need 4 to 6 oz of wood, prefer white oak for brisket, start it before bed, and check it in the morning after a good nights sleep, or through it on in the morning, and go ride, fish, hunt, shop whatever,,, it'll be perfect till ya get back on any long smoke! It is the same in 90* weather or -10*!!
Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Dish

Just how I roll and ride today,, but look'n good, that sure looks like it will be worth the time your investing!

#5 ·
Just take a road trip up here. Should arrive about the time it’s ready. Cornbread, baked beans and collard greens to round it(you) out 😋
Yes, dinner will be late tonight.

Reactions: Shalako
#10 ·
Wildcatter, my ‘smoker’ is a Primo XL that I picked up lightly used for a great deal. It gets used for everything. There is a thermostatically controlled fan kit I’m looking at that will give me the flexibility of smoking overnight etc. and has Wi-Fi to allow monitoring even when I’m away from home. Until that happens, I’ll make do with my current arrangement. I’m like you though. All the wood used is sourced by me. Helps to have a couple small family owned orchards nearby for the fruit woods.

#11 ·
I use a Kamado joe smoker and debating on the fan kit also. The reviews are all over the place and the only reason I don't have one yet. If you get one,report back please!

Those Primo's are nice!

#15 ·
That last time we had beef in the house was probably 10 years ago when my wife bought a quarter cow from one of the neighbors. And of course we ended up getting rid of a bunch of it because it sat there for so long. I have many farmer friends who raise cattle, but at the same time they know I am a deer hunter (hunt some of their property). I always give them some sausage/sticks after the season is over for some "tasty" meat. In order to hunt the land I actually work for them in various ways.

#19 ·
That was the only hunk of beef remaining. I’ll have to break down in a couple months and buy another. Not a cut easily replaced with venison.
Yes to the confusion of some this is an understatement,,,, probably why God didn't give us just one animal, or one plant for food! The spice of life is variety!!!! It would be awful boring for those of us that understand that to have just one choice!

For those that think any cut is better when properly done only hold truth to break the monotony, I like Ribeye's best when I have steak, but prefer a fillet or porterhouse now and then, and at times that brisket is the best cut on the cow and prefer it over that steak. Hell theres time a bacon wrapped backstrap beats them all, I guess I just don't like boring, and good smoked brisket is one of the richest, and tastiest delicacies one can encounter!

For me life would be very boring to eat the same thing every day, day after day, I need Walleye, Bluegill, Yellow Perch, Crappie, Northern Pike, hell even some shark and Dolphin now and then, love my deer but wont be without stuffed chops, pulled pork, or bacon and ham either. Yep, the spice of life is variety!!!!

Reactions: Shoreglide
#20 ·
Hear here🍺
Sounds like we have similar tastes. My reason for reducing store bought meat in the household is primarily to know where it came from and how it was handled. I sure don’t save any money! What we do buy is either from a local butcher shop or at the docks.
BTW, bacon wrapped backstrap is on this week’s menu😋

Reactions: wildcatter
#21 ·
I have slowed on my love for venison, and thinking it was better than good bough meat the last decade, when it is the most contaminated you can ingest,,, and that is becoming worse by the year!! Wild game that feeds predominantly on crop fields are some of the most chemical polluted sources of meat we have today!!! Another reason I refuse to coat farmers pockets with BS lease fees to hunt and control their wild game problems!!

Every year farmers throw more and more chemicals on the deer food, from crop fields to orchards! Not just fertilizers but insecticides, herbicides, fungicides, and genetically altered seed to as much as chemicals to bitter the food and deter deer and other wild game from eating and destroying it.

The worst part of this is, the beef pork and fowl that will later eat this after it has been washed with rains dew and diluted, wild game is feeding on it as soon as it is treated, and I for one living where crops are abundant have noticed this huge change in the digestion of my venison, more so in some areas than other.

But even down south on many paper company properties, they are now spraying multiple times a year for everything from bugs and other plant diseases to fire preventatives. But if anyone thinks the deer we eat today is more nutritious or better for us than it used to be, this is the kind of brainwashing commercial farming and economics has accomplished!

I have a buddy that raises beef, grows his own alfalfa, and does his own minimal medications, but like buying quality anything, it aint cheap, but dam sure better! like everything else today, people try and justify everything with little respect to any research,, or one sided research that only agrees with the ideals they want to believe.

I have spent years of doing this daily from fishing and hunting, in many areas that I will no longer pursue what I am going to eat anymore. But I am willing to work a little harder, and settle for a little less to get what goes in my freezer to assure it is the least contaminated as possible, but this is all I do the past 30 years!

Reactions: Shoreglide
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.