Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have dreamed up, sketched and am now building a simple leg powered cocking device that requires no arm strength.

It is for target shooting only. It's not something you would want to carry around hunting although it is somewhat portable. If it works, it would make target practice a heck of a lot less tiring.

In the process, I got to wondering if anyone has already done this.

Anybody ever seen this concept?

·
115 Posts
wild bill said:
I have dreamed up, sketched and am now building a simple leg powered cocking device that requires no arm strength.

It is for target shooting only. It's not something you would want to carry around hunting although it is somewhat portable. If it works, it would make target practice a heck of a lot less tiring.

In the process, I got to wondering if anyone has already done this.

Anybody ever seen this concept?
Do a patent search. You can google that up (They are free), then go to legalzoom.com and do what you need to do to protect yourself and your idea. Don't post any pics till you do that.

Just a suggestion. Your idea might be great for disabled people.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
That's great idea. If there was a cocking device that was quicker, I'd use one because when I have to sight in that 175lb xbow, it wears me out. On the patent stuff, I have to tell you from experience that it is a long process and it costs me in the mid 1990's @ $8,000.00 to get it completed. You have to have a patent lawyer to do the specific wording, drawings and filing. I think it took 2-3 years to get my patent started, researched, and filed.
There are two types of patents-design and mechanical. If you do this, go for the mechanical as it is a stronger protected patent. Then expect to pay fees every so many years to keep it on file. The mechanical patent you pay every 3 years where the design is every ten I believe.
If you can find someone to manufacture and sell for you, you really don't need a patent. I don't think I'd do it for a cocking device as it would never recoup the money you will spend to get it patented and on the market if you can find someone to produce and sell it for you. I'd just make some and outright sell them to other xbow shooters and forget the $$$ and the legal stuff. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I'd like to see your idea someday.

·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Wally & Guidegirl. I'm building a prototype. I hope to test it soon.

I don't want to go through the patent thing. I like the idea of finding someone to manufacture and sell. Would be nice to make a few extra bucks. It is sad that there isn't an easy way to protect an idea. I think innovation is blocked because of the difficult and costly process.

However, if the thing works but nobody wants to manufacture it, I will gladly share it on this forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts