Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bass pro has a KI Lethal 405 on sale for $199. Anybody know anything about this xbow?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Picking one up this weekend - first crossbow. Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
It's an all composite stock and not adjustable. Arrows are tomato stakes ;) and the optic is just OK. It's not a 405 fps bow even with their light arrows. Looks like KI has discontinued it or it's a Dealer only xbow.

The Sniper Elite 370 is a much better option at just a few dollars more. Someone has it on sale right now for $220. BP and Cabelas has it for $250.

Handle them both if you can.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's an all composite stock and not adjustable. Arrows are tomato stakes ;) and the optic is just OK. It's not a 405 fps bow even with their light arrows. Looks like KI has discontinued it or it's a Dealer only xbow.

The Sniper Elite 370 is a much better option at just a few dollars more. Someone has it on sale right now for $220. BP and Cabelas has it for $250.

Handle them both if you can.
... well I haven't picked it up yet, and now you have me thinking I should hold off. They do not have a Sniper 370 at the store I'm going to, however it was my runner up in my online research. Don't want to derail a KI thread chasing it, but perhaps you could post a link to another thread that speaks to your comments above? I am especially curious about the optic.

Thanks for your input - you may have helped me make a better choice.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
My comments are based on first hand experience with the 405. I do crossbow ProStaff work at several of the local major outdoor suppliers every fall so I see their products, assemble most of the new xbows, get to shoot them and get reviews from their staff. This xbow is a "special" right now so I spent a few minutes with it to see how it stacks up and that's why I commented in this thread.

Just to set a baseline on optics, almost all $200-$300 xbows will come with marginal scope that is setup for the factory arrow. In the case of the 405 it's the light weight arrows are too lightweight to hunt with IMO and when you step up to a 400 gn or heavier arrow the scopes hold-over reticle setup is almost useless.

Also the most "economical" crossbows lack a CNC aluminum rail as does the 405. Other observations is that the quiver is also less than ideal with a parallel mount vs side mount.

Lastly is the very flimsy "finger style" arrow retainer which is style that is notorious for needing adjustment. Out of adjustment it can allow a loaded arrow to slide when handled and in turn be a dry fire waiting to happen.

Reactions: JOE PA and heldfast

·
Registered
38 Posts
My comments are based on first hand experience with the 405. I do crossbow ProStaff work at several of the local major outdoor suppliers every fall so I see their products, assemble most of the new xbows, get to shoot them and get reviews from their staff. This xbow is a "special" right now so I spent a few minutes with it to see how it stacks up and that's why I commented in this thread.

Just to set a baseline on optics, almost all $200-$300 xbows will come with marginal scope that is setup for the factory arrow. In the case of the 405 it's the light weight arrows are too lightweight to hunt with IMO and when you step up to a 400 gn or heavier arrow the scopes hold-over reticle setup is almost useless.

Also the most "economical" crossbows lack a CNC aluminum rail as does the 405. Other observations is that the quiver is also less than ideal with a parallel mount vs side mount.

Lastly is the very flimsy "finger style" arrow retainer which is style that is notorious for needing adjustment. Out of adjustment it can allow a loaded arrow to slide when handled and in turn be a dry fire waiting to happen.
Thanks! That’s exactly the kind of review I appreciate.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hold off and buy the swat xp I know it's nearly 5 times the price but you won't ever need to trade up. It will be a xbow that lasts a lifetime. I am still waiting on mine being delivered by my dealer here in the UK.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you buy a cheap xbow you will want to trade up after a year or so it false economy. Save for the better xbow. In my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts