Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snapped one of the heads off of the 33mm allen bolt. Literally just the head not the screw it's self.

Absolutely took the wind out of my sails.

Is this just bad luck? There were no torque specs listed either.

I'm hoping the authorized shop will have the bolt.

Kinda disappointed.
IMG_20200912_192226624.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
This can easily happen with hardware of this size. Easy to overtorque. Did you use the included allen key or something with more leverage than that?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a longer Allen key I had for a bit more leverage. But I didn't think I had enough leverage to snap the head off lol.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Had the same problem with my carbon express, button head cap screws have very little material where the head meets the screw, hardware stores will have stainless Allen head cap screws !! Pat K

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Local hardware store might be of help as long as that broken one will screw out.
I haven't tried to take it out yet but I see no reason why it shouldn't back out.

I had honestly thought about getting a bolt from Lowe's or even this place that sells nothing but nuts bolt and fasteners. But the bolt is a specialty bolt with a built in washer and lock washer. The nut and bolt place might have it, but I also don't want to void the warranty by using a different.bolt.

·
2,873 Posts
I haven't tried to take it out yet but I see no reason why it shouldn't back out.

I had honestly thought about getting a bolt from Lowe's or even this place that sells nothing but nuts bolt and fasteners. But the bolt is a specialty bolt with a built in washer and lock washer. The nut and bolt place might have it, but I also don't want to void the warranty by using a different.bolt.
I have 4 crossbows, and none have a warranty, so I’m used to fixing problems myself. If I had a brand new crossbow like you do that broke, I’d be taking or sending it back to be replaced or repaired under the warranty you paid for. JMO

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Take the good bolt with you to Lowes. Hardware isle. You should be able to get 2 replacements in stainless. A member recently did this for his Barnett 370.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Take the good bolt with you to Lowes. Hardware isle. You should be able to get 2 replacements in stainless. A member recently did this for his Barnett 370.
I'll head up there and see if they have the bolts with washers.

If they don't, I'll just slap a washer and lock washer on em.

If something catastrophic does break on the xbow and KI says they won't fix it because I upgraded their bolts, then I'll just go back to shooting Barnett and for the rest of my life never have a good thing to say about KI to anyone.

Lol.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
My guess on that bolt breaking is hydrogen embrittlement. Heated up or cooled down too quickly. I buy screws that I attach gutters with 5000 at a time and have had entire box where the screws would snap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My guess on that bolt breaking is hydrogen embrittlement. Heated up or cooled down too quickly. I buy screws that I attach gutters with 5000 at a time and have had entire box where the screws would snap.
Tell this to my wife, she says it's just me. Lol to be fair this isn't the first bolt to break on me. However it is the first time on a xbow bolt, or it ever broke like this (see pic), or an allen bolt. 🤷🏻‍♂️ First time for everything I suppose.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Figured I probably should go ahead and take that bolt out and take a pic as well. (Some of the marring is from the video grips I used. Came out easily.
IMG_20200913_201918059.jpg
IMG_20200913_201825060_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200913_201906694.jpg

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
(y)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got off the phone with KI customer service. They we're going to ship me out a new set of bolts, would have taken a week or so to get them. Asked if I could upgrade the bolts without voiding the warranty and was told that I could and it would not void the warranty!

Went to lowes, they didn't have the right screw, closest I could get would be a SS button cap, PHILLIPS head that would be either too long (1 and a half inch) or too short (1 inch). For some reason they do not have the right diameter to thread at lowes from what I could find.

The bolt is an M5 x 1.0 thread. All lowes has was M5 x .80 thread only had 1.0 in M6.

Soooo I'm off to the crazy nut and bolt store to get some properly sized bolts. Will give an update after installing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got it all installed and fired a couple test shots. It may not actually be hitting 400fps but compared to the old wildcat c5 this sucker is scorching fast.

I did notice that the string and serving has more of a hump where it crosses the rail versus the barnett. The rope cocker included is a full foot shorter than my barnett one, which I really appreciate. I was expecting a much tougher draw going from 150 to 210lbs but not bad at all. However I already hate the position of the groove for the rope cocker being inside the stock. Kind of annoying threading the cocker through there and just created more.opportunity to make noise.

Not a fan of the illuminated scope, but I'm not a fan of any scope so that's to be expected. The trigger travel isn't as bad as others made it out to be. In fact it's right in the sweet spot I like and breaks way sooner than the barnett. I found the safety to be set a bit too far to the rear but I'm sure I'll get used to that as well.

The arrows weigh in at around 272 grains and the included field points are 102.5 grains, which are a tad heavy. All together about a 375 grain arrow. The same weight arrow that I shot out of the barnett wildcat c5 for 7 years that has been responsible for many whitetails meeting the butcher paper. So again, not sure where it's said a 375 grain arrow isn't enough for whitetail, but it's been more than enough for me.

Overall first impressions are impressive when considering it has a limited lifetime warranty at a 200 dollar price point.

I tend to not shoot very much as the cost of replacing arrows that get the robinhood treatment is too much for my blood. But if I run into any issues I'll update this thread. If this bow gives a deer the dirt nap I'll update this thread as well 😁😁😁

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
The 375 gn. Will kill a deer and it will kill a crossbow. The knock on light arrows is they are are hard on the crossbow limbs.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Hi speed bows with light bolts,too light isn’t good but don’t buy a chronograph , because ur gonna get upset when u find out what really is going on !! JMO Pat K

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got it out to a 50 yard range and installed my truglo open green/red 4 dot speed adjustable reticle (if anyone knows where I can.find the manual for this red dot is be very appreciative to have it). Sighted my first dot for 20 and has to switch to the highest speed reticle to only still hit a couple inches high at 40 yards. I can't remember what the 4 speed settings are actually rated for, I know it's based on a 400gn bolt and it goes by fps. But on the third tightest bdc it was almost a foot high at 40.

I also sighted in the barnett and got to really feel the difference between the two. Barnett is easier to cock for a few reasons, not having to thread the rope cocker through the stock is one. Another is the small cams on the barnett give it a much smoother draw, where as the big cams make the lethal a bit jerky. And lastly compared to the barnett you have to give the string more pressure to engage the trigger mechanism.

As I said the safety isnt as close to the trigger as I feel it should be on the Lethal compared to the wildcat. However the lethals is ambidextrous so kinda even there. The triggers are actually very similar with the barnett having a lighter pull and break, but the lethal is definitely more crisp when it breaks. Another toss up there.

And lastly in the wildcats favor is the bigger foot stirrup. While the design of the lethals is better in terms of ergonomics and overall added length, even in just my everyday steel toe boots I could barely get my toes past the stirrup and a few times had it start to move at the stirrup when I went to cock it forcing me to let down slowly and reposition my foot to try again. With my winter hunting boots I have serious reservations I can fit my boot in their to cock it. I'll have to break the winters out soon and find out.

Everything else goes the.lethals.way. weight and balance are better. The fit when shooting is nicer as the stock is thinner in every location than the barnett. It has a larger rail with room for accessories or you can put a bipod, or front grip so long as it's that same.style.rail which is.fairly common still even with mlok getting popular. It's quieter when shot, it's visually more appealing to me as well. As well as being shorter in overall length and narrower in width uncocked than the wildcat cocked. I didnt feel the need to drop 35 bucks and run it through a chrono to confirm what I could.tell with my ears. The lethal is way faster than the barnett, to my ears, ridiculously faster. With the wildcat shooting out to 50 yards after pulling the trigger and opening my closed.eye by the time.my.vision.focused the bolt would hit the target. With the lethal not even shooting 50 yards was this possible. The lethal.seemed.to have the same delay between the sound of the shot and the sound of The bolt hitting the target at 40 yards as the wildcat has at 20. It's gotta be at least 100fps faster if I was to take a.guess and the wildcat was around the 280 mark iirc with a 125gn head and a 270gn bolt.

Accuracy actually went to the lethal but I believe that has to do with the ergonomics and weight more than anything else, much more comfortable shoot with the thinner shorter stock imo.

That's all I've got for now. Opener is Oct 1st and I'll probably.go up for the opener or at minimum opening weekend. Wish me luck putting a rage in the cage! And thanks for the help!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts