Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a conversation w/ DJH awhile back about xbows and hunting. I had told him I liked them all except for one [nameless] brand. He asked me why and I told him and mentioned a specific model bow that company sells. He said "I killed two deer w/ that bow this year" I had never doubted the make and model was capable of that, but it got me to thinking about how deep we all are in this sport and to what degree. I've been an accuracy freak my whole life. When I was a kid, the Daisy mod 25 pump BB gun was the cream of the crop, had a flip up peep sight. Folks got me a crappy "Cub" model, lol. All my youth, everything I learned was the hard way, no mentors. As I got into xbows, that obsession followed me I guess. It's hard for me to accept the fact that others don't go into this as deep as I do, and are content just shooting a few arrows before season to make sure all is still well and then go hunt. More power to them, lol. I just gotta fling arrows alot and keep checking my rig looking for that magic combo that will hit the center of the bull every shot. It's a curse, lol.

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
I wish more folks would shoot more often than just a week before season too. I think a big part of the problem is that many indoor ranges don't allow crossbows and most 3D shoots don't either. That leaves shooting in your backyard or at a buddies house when the weather permits. In Ohio, there are clubs that do allow crossbows at there 3D shoots and guys are out there every weekend at the minimun.

·
1,692 Posts
I think the last part is the biggest of what you speak. Yes some just sight in their bows and some of us are arrow junkies. Some of us junkies will shoot all year and not expect anything to happen. Many of us get monotonous repeatability. There are fixes and cures for most of those lesser bows but it sure is nice when we pick our bow out of the box and nail bullseyes over and over after a quick set up.

·
Banned
364 Posts
Like Dan,I am on a never ending search for accuracy. Be it with my centerfire rifles, handguns or crossbows. I constantly experiment with arrows . Making modications and more modications to find that elusive perfect combination. Do the same thing with centerfire cartridge reloading and tweaking rifle actions, barrels, triggers and stocks.

My wife tells me I'm obsessive complusive, beside being really anal about it. I know a critter doesn't care if it's hit in the top or bottom of the heart and cares less how fast or true the arrows flies. BUT to me it's all part of the enjoyment, searching for the perfect combo of arrow, bow, etc. :coolgleamA:

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, here's an intersting experience I had last year. wanted to go to a 3-D shoot, found a trad club here in Ar about 2.5 hrs away and checked to see if we would be welcome. We were. Took a compound shooting buddy and we got there a tad early. I had brought two xbows and was showing them to owner/range master. He was impressed by the rope cockers and wanted to know where he could get one for his wife's xbow, lol. I showed him how to cock and load my Emax and my buddy and I took off to shoot the course. When we got back, there he was working his butt off w/ the Emax and a line about 20 people deep wanting to shoot an xbow. My buddy and I relieved him and split the line in half w/ two xbows. All enjoyed them. I was offered a 1st place plaque, little homemade plywood deal w/ date ect on it. I could see these newer trad bow shooters really coveted getting their 1st plaque. i didn't feel shooting a scoped xbpw was a level playing field, I had the only xbow there, so refused the plaque. As you guys know, xbows have been legal here forever, maybe that's the reason not one, nada, zip, snide, nasty comment was made about me using one. I'm going back this season w/ some fellow xbow shooters so we can compete amongst ourselves. i became addicted to 3-D that day and have since driven far further than sane to go to a couple of them in Tn.

·
1,692 Posts
Urban Legend said:
I think were the line is drawn is there are shooters and there are hunters. Shooters enjoy the sport which becomes a hobby and a past time. Hunters consider the crossbow as a tool for harvesting an animal. What the hunters need to know is that if they become shooters, they will be better hunters.
Agreed, some guys just sight in their rifles and then go hunting. A hunter should shoot enough so that putting up the bow or rifle should be second nature, almost an autonomic response when the quarry is .

·
11,411 Posts
I must be a real shooting freak:)

I shoot crossbows, 45/70 contender handguns, muzzle loaders (Savage smokeless powder ML10 and an 1841 Mississippi 58 caliber with mini balls), varmint rifles and do reloading, make my own arrows and make my own bowstrings.........................now that I think about it I suddenly realize why I rarely get bored:D I also hunt with all this stuff:p Help!!!!!

Most young guys working to support their families, IMO, simply don't thave the time to "play" with mens' toys to the degree us retired folks can and then there are those that use crossbows, bows, rifles and shotguns only as a tool to hunt with and that's it:rolleyes:

·
1,692 Posts
Hmmm, Moonkryket, I think you are saying that some of us are more maniacal than others. I shoot at coffee break, lunch and at the end of the day. Sometimes crossbows, sometimes trad bows and sometimes compounds.

·
Banned
258 Posts
Like Dan I shoot in my garage,indoor gun range and out doors if it ever
warms up.My wife has asked if I intended to shoot in our new family
room in our new house dont think she was serious,hehe!I have found I
enjoy my new style of crossbow,recurve type,shooting over my other
types dont know if it is alright to mention brand names,but have really
gotten deeper into the mechanics of the bow,shooting,etc.i am really
looking forward to this year out in the woods,kind like a new lease on
a great sport,sorry for rattleing on,later Marty.:D

·
87 Posts
I am having withdrawals from shooting, my backyard target is high and dry, but there is waist deep snow for 50 yards in front of it. I still manage to get out every couple days but trucking through that snow can get tiring and my snowshoes are having issues right now too, not that I have any idea how to cock the bow with snowshoes on..
Darn snow is so deep I am standing on my shooting bench at the 30 yard mark, I think it's under there anyways.
On a better note, over the winter I joined a hunt/fish club that has many, many outdoor targets and a very cool 3D range through the bush, something to look forward to. These guys even have a 100 yard archery target.
I have a new string to try as well as some Teflon strips for the rail, I am really looking forward to our first melt.

·
11,411 Posts
I could not handle that weather

I have hard enough time getting through January and February without the snow! We've only had 2 brief snows that measured less than 1 inch and it was gone within a few hours so I haven't missed any shootig time.

I'm also trying to call up a coyote at the farm with no luck so far. I know they are there though. This is a learning process for me for sure. Things will pick up April 15 (spring turkey season). I'm going to try to get one with the Desert Stryker shooting a 100 grain Atom head, the one with the razor wire cutting surfaces. It flies just like and expandable but we will see what the real test results are............hopefully.

Attachments

·
342 Posts
I have a little range in my back yard (30yds) so I get to shoot mine every day, I fine tune all of my bows (XBow and compounds)every day and I never get tired of it. I just keep zooming in...always.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Restrung the Vortex

yesterday. Gave it a break for the 'cold months' but can't wait any longer. Still foot-deep snow between my targets and the back deck from where I shoot but 'turning one loose' felt great. Will start shooting two bows on a daily basis once the snow melts. In the meantime I'm working up loads for several rifles and handcannons (I too shoot a 45/70 "handgun" Moon) to chron and accuracy test them when the snow melts from my range. Messin' with gear keeps me busy all year. I LOVE this stuff.

·
11,411 Posts
You're a good man :)

:ack2: (45-70) Have you tried any of the Barnes 250 grain all copper HP's? They are nice!

·
38 Posts
I like to find an arrow/broadhead combination that will shoot to the same POI as my field points then save the broadheads for hunting season and practice with field points. I'll mostly shoot trad bows during the summer months, but about a month before deer season I'll string the crossbow (Excal) and practice with it almost daily.
The trad bows are fun, but I still have a couple small details in my shooting form that need perfected. Only been working on it for about 50 years now, and I figure I should perfect my shooting in another 15 or 20 years if my body holds up that long. :ack2:

·
8,999 Posts
Oldest thread ... last one on the site almost 10 years ago. Interesting how current the subject & perspectives are. I recognize some of those screen names!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
For me I really enjoy the hunting aspect of vert and xbowing. but just shooting to shoot with my xbow, not really into it. It doesnt do anything for me. Now when I could shoot vert that was a different story

1 - 20 of 23 Posts