Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long should the serving last on a set of Archery Shack strings that are on my R10? At what point should it be changed? The string has about 150 shots on it and the serving is separating so that you can see the string color through it. It this a problem? I know the string is not worn out, but the serving looks like crap to me.
Looking for some advice from those who have been there and done that. LOL

Thank you
Bob

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
How long should the serving last on a set of Archery Shack strings that are on my R10? At what point should it be changed? The string has about 150 shots on it and the serving is separating so that you can see the string color through it. It this a problem? I know the string is not worn out, but the serving looks like crap to me.

Thank you
Bob
A good archery shop can reserve that string if you have one near by. Ravin strings can show serving wear very quickly. In 50 shots or less. String /cable care will help that. Use a quality product like Scorpion Venom.
Your current string separation may be fixable. See if you can move it with your fingernail a few Windings at a time.

Reactions: Texas Grown

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
If you keep shooting you run risk of ruining string. Get reserved or get another string and maybe some new cables too.
I reserve my own.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
From what I gather you don't wax a center serving on a Ravin unless you want poor accuracy because the nock will slide back and forth on the serving.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You never use wax, you use a non-wax lube on center serving because wax can build up in the trigger box. I thought I heard Riflenut say something about waxing the other parts of strings and cables, but I'm talking with David from Wyvern Creations and he recommends using the non-wax lube on those parts too.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

Thank you
Bob
Bob,
I always recommend folks purchase 2 sets of AS strings. You not only save 10 bucks per set but you now have an extra string. So when the first string's center serving starts to separate, you merely swap out strings and send the old string back to AS for reserving. They only charge $18 as I recall to reserve a Ravin center serving.
However with that being said, I (like Riflenut) always reserve my own center serving. It's not difficult to do and I believe Riflenut might even have a video on how he does it.
As far as waxing is concerned, AS strings come with a tube of wax. You should wax the unserved end of the cables and at least half of the cable length where it forms the S-bend around the cam pulley before installing them. Likewise, the 4 inches of exposed string strands should be waxed after the bow is tuned. It's also typically better to wax the string strands when they are Not under tension so you can apply wax to a larger percentage of the strand surface area.
After this is done once with the X99 material that AS uses, no more waxing on Ravin cables or the string should be required for a long time because X99 usually doesn't get fuzzy. However, if you do see some fuzziness pop up on the string strands after a hunting trip, I always keep the AS tube of wax in my Ravin tool kit so I can apply a little to the string strands before my next hunt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts