Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got some arrows from Tapp and they are non lighted. I looked at their website and to order lighted nocks(Firenocks) it would be a small fortune for 3 of them. How easy is it to remove the current nocks I have and replace with Firenocks?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Following cause I am curious on this as well. Are you shooting a Scorpyd? Those Firenocks are crazy expensive and seem a lot more complicated than just replacing a nock...

·
Registered
119 Posts
The firenocks are the ones Scorpyd approves to use with their bows.If you are shooting a different bow you have several other options like the Lumenocks,Nockturnal,and Parker nocks.There is options unless your shooting certain type bows.The firenocks are a little more work than the others but it has options the others dont as well like matched weight practice nocks so you save your lighted nocks and batteries.Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
Depends on if the current nocks are press fit or glued in. See if you can pull them.
As far as Scorpyds my DS 380 manual actually listed both Firenocks and Parker Lighted Capture nocks as approved nocks. I am pretty sure they were in all the Scorpyd manuals at that time.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Depends on if the current nocks are press fit or glued in. See if you can pull them.
As far as Scorpyds my DS 380 manual actually listed both Firenocks and Parker Lighted Capture nocks as approved nocks. I am pretty sure they were in all the Scorpyd manuals at that time.
You are absolutely right about the Scorpyds using Firenocks or Parker nocks.

·
Vendor
1,617 Posts
I just got some arrows from Tapp and they are non lighted. I looked at their website and to order lighted nocks(Firenocks) it would be a small fortune for 3 of them. How easy is it to remove the current nocks I have and replace with Firenocks?
When you buy just lighted firenock we charge the same as firenock charges, they are very expensive

·
Registered
57 Posts
Of the lighted nocks mentioned, which are the best considering price as a factor?

BTW: I shoot a Ripper 415

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
Of the lighted nocks mentioned, which are the best considering price as a factor?

BTW: I shoot a Ripper 415
I have no idea if these will work in a ripper but Lumenok will have some that will work for certain.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Are you sure you want to go down the path of shooting lighted nocks at all?
Have you really thought thru the negatives besides the cost factors?

Part of achieving accurate arrow performance is based upon three principle factors. The first is Matched Spine Deflection. The second is Weight Balancing all arrows .The third is F.O.C. (Front of Center). Which deals with properly balancing the amount of arrow point weight.

It's the second category that you're risking by doing a partial lighted nock set up. By only using lighted nocks on 3 arrows those arrows will fly differently than any of your other arrows. At 20 to 30 yards you might get away with only a small 1" to 3" deviation in elevation, but at 50 to 60 yards the weight difference will cost you at least 6" or more in elevation.

What's the point of using a lighted nock when it causes problems with shot placement and arrow to arrow consistency?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you sure you want to go down the path of shooting lighted nocks at all?
Have you really thought thru the negatives besides the cost factors?

Part of achieving accurate arrow performance is based upon three principle factors. The first is Matched Spine Deflection. The second is Weight Balancing all arrows .The third is F.O.C. (Front of Center). Which deals with properly balancing the amount of arrow point weight.

It's the second category that you're risking by doing a partial lighted nock set up. By only using lighted nocks on 3 arrows those arrows will fly differently than any of your other arrows. At 20 to 30 yards you might get away with only a small 1" to 3" deviation in elevation, but at 50 to 60 yards the weight difference will cost you at least 6" or more in elevation.

What's the point of using a lighted nock when it causes problems with shot placement and arrow to arrow consistency?

First of all I would order more then 3 arrows with lighted nocks. I initially priced it with 3 arrows to see what it would cost. Firenock is not giving them away for sure. I am very particular on equipment I use, the is why I bought arrows from Tapp in the first place and will order more in a few weeks.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Firenocks are expensive.....I tried Afterburners, I got them off Ebay from a seller by the name of ARCHERYMALL I haven't had a issue.....A Three pack for under $20, free shipping

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
First of all I would order more then 3 arrows with lighted nocks. I initially priced it with 3 arrows to see what it would cost. Firenock is not giving them away for sure. I am very particular on equipment I use, the is why I bought arrows from Tapp in the first place and will order more in a few weeks.
Just keep in mind that weight balancing arrows with Lighted Nocks Is both very difficult and time consuming. That’s considering you own a decent gram scale capable of doing the job.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have shot my brothers stealth NXT with and without lit nocks and see no difference whatsoever. I personally think the Firenock is a tad complicated compared to what Tenpoint offers. I think I can do without that complexity and price.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What’s the complicated part?
Gluing in the extreme shock end cap is pretty simple.

firenocks last forever... I’ve owned a few sizes, even the smallest.166
Zero issues

maybe the competition has gotten better over the years but after having to replace the cheap ones every year I switced to firenock and haven’t had a failure

on off switch is awesome too

·
Registered
90 Posts
That being said I also just ordered tapps for my stealth nxt
i plan to try the Tenpoint lighted nocks due to warranty which I think is a requirement.

but they look like they are built by nocturnal so I’m not expecting much

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That being said I also just ordered tapps for my stealth nxt
i plan to try the Tenpoint lighted nocks due to warranty which I think is a requirement.

but they look like they are built by nocturnal so I’m not expecting much
They are a very clean design, its easier to turn off the FN per their FAQ page but not by much. I think anything other then Tenpoint arrows voids their warranty.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I thought as long as you bought alpha nocks you were good

I’ll have to look into it again

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I have shot my brothers stealth NXT with and without lit nocks and see no difference whatsoever. I personally think the Firenock is a tad complicated compared to what Tenpoint offers. I think I can do without that complexity and price.
I'm not putting what you're doing down, but factually it doesn't matter whether or not you're capable of seeing any difference or in elevation when shooting or not. My comments are not based upon your perception. They're based upon more than 50 years of arrow shooting experience coupled with the Laws of Physics and Scientific Facts. You are welcome to do as you please, but do not attempt to blow off factual information that somebody give you because you don't care for it. You clearly don't have the knowledge or experience to go down that path.

If there's anything you doubt or are unsure of in my statements I welcome you to contact both Jerry at South Shore Archery or Dorge from Firenock for absolute confirmation. We all know each other quite well and have many many years. What you were given was the benefit of that knowledge and experience.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not putting what you're doing down, but factually it doesn't matter whether or not you're capable of seeing any difference or in elevation when shooting or not. My comments are not based upon your perception. They're based upon more than 50 years of arrow shooting experience coupled with the Laws of Physics and Scientific Facts. You are welcome to do as you please, but do not attempt to blow off factual information that somebody give you because you don't care for it. You clearly don't have the knowledge or experience to go down that path.

If there's anything you doubt or are unsure of in my statements I welcome you to contact both Jerry at South Shore Archery or Dorge from Firenock for absolute confirmation. We all know each other quite well and have many many years. What you were given was the benefit of that knowledge and experience.
Wow, just do me a favor and don't comment on this thread anymore. You know zip nada zilch about my background so please keep your thoughts to yourself.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts