Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone point me in the right direction in light weight Excalibur crossbow choices?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I regularly shoot 18 inch for 3D target no problem out of mine , they like heavy arrows for sure around the 450 grain mark personally I've found .

Honestly though they shoot just about anything over there minimum 350 grain weight

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ive never rope cocked mine due to a back injury ,I always used a crank and would recommend one
Is it necessary ? ,
all depends on the individual ,
Some find them no problem , most feel there not the easiest to cock multiple times
Your looking at 135 lbs even to pull with a rope , it's a lot for sure.

·
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive never rope cocked mine due to a back injury ,I always used a crank and would recommend one
Is it necessary ? ,
all depends on the individual ,
Some find them no problem , most feel there not the easiest to cock multiple times
Your looking at 135 lbs even to pull with a rope , it's a lot for sure.
Well that’s a deal breaker for me, I can’t deal with a crank cocker for a hunting xbow.

·
Registered
138 Posts
135# isn't anything with a pull rope
Total limb weight is 270 lbs , even with a rope the 50 % reduction it gives you your still pulling back 135 lbs

I agree to a lot of guys no problem

But if you were to do it over and over again ,say for target practice , I believe it becomes no fun , towards just 12 lbs of pressure on the handle of a crank unit.

Detach and no weight penalty to unbalance the crossbow big plus all round

Eh that's just my opinion .

·
Registered
138 Posts
I was lucky enough to use a GRZ 2 for a day of target use at the range this year .

No problem cocking that and way more capable than I expected , the owner had sold off the scope as fitted and put on a Tact zone and it really made it a viable all rounder.

Once I got my head around the waffle pattern SMF rail I was impressed with how good the crossbow was .
Never heard of limb concerns with that model
Impressed with the trigger feel because I guess of the lower string tension ,

Can't be sure but it felt a little lighter then my micro .

Once cocked the matrix is only about 2 inches wider then a micro

Definitely didn't feel like a entery level model .

·
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Years ago Horton (before TenPoint) had a UltraLite model that was short, fairly narrow, and very light weight, that thing was great to carry. The only downside was the stock was hollow and kept cracking. I went through three stocks before I had enough. So I guess I’m looking for that short lightweight crossbow.
I have a TenPoint Stealth SS with everything and that bow is nice. Great trigger, high quality, very accurate, and just a nice crossbow, the downside is it is heavy. I took the crank cocker off to lighten it up and put on the 50 rope cocker. I ended up taking that off and just carry a rope cocker. That makes it much better but I’m still at 9 pounds.

·
3,260 Posts
What about rope cocking that high of poundage of the 340.
If you adjust your cocking rope so that your back is fully extending (at its strongest point) when near the top of the cocking stroke, the high draw weight that compound crossbow guys love to scare people about is not really that much of an issue.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think you need to find away of trying what you fancy , not so easy in the days of COVID but only way your going to tell what fits you the best

I keep looking for an old wide limb Horton or excel ,,,,They sure don't make em like they used too , for me anyways

Sure there a lot lighter and faster today , but as for accuracy and reliability,,,, them there old school wide limb crossbows are hard too beat ..

·
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you adjust your cocking rope so that your back is fully extending (at its strongest point) when near the top of the cocking stroke, the high draw weight that compound crossbow guys love to scare people about is not really that much of an issue.
A few years ago I shot a 220lb Excalibur and it wasn’t bad.

·
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think you need to find away of trying what you fancy , not so easy in the days of COVID but only way your going to tell what fits you the best

I keep looking for an old wide limb Horton or excel ,,,,They sure don't make em like they used too , for me anyways

Sure there a lot lighter and faster today , but as for accuracy and reliability,,,, them there old school wide limb crossbows are hard too beat ..
I still have an old Horton but I’m now looking at the Excalibur Bulldog 330. I think it’s fast enough,light enough, and it’s about the maximum width I can live with.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think your right on looking at the bulldog 330 , matrix limbs and way lower draw weight = less stressed & more reliable with little loss of fps over the 340 micro ,
Still way more then enough power to hunt anything you care too
Good choice ....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts