Crossbow Nation banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
11,296 Posts
I don’t care for “easy”. Never did for bowhunting. Don’t hunt sitting in a box, never did.

·
1,638 Posts
Maybe so, but with or without all the gadgetry you've mentioned. 20-30yards requires more skill, planning and patience than 50-60. Doesn't matter what jacket your wearing :ROFLMAO:.

A few comments in this thread remind me that we've traded technology for laziness in some, but certainly not all cases. Anyone can hide in a ground blind at 60 yards. Hell, you could probably be cutting your lawn at 60 yards and still get a deer once and a while.
Do you know this from experience Chris? :ROFLMAO: I did have a staring contest with a deer this summer in my back 10 acres when I was on my zero turn.
You are right about the technology. But you and I would have a problem giving it up. Carbon shafts, string materials blended with Vectran, stainless steel broadleads, extruded aluminum, aspherical high index glass and on and on. So what is the better question? Where do we cut it off or how do we limit the use? Maybe both? I think none of it and let the user deal with their conscience. I think its like the 'ethical distance" question. The answer does not exist. You make a good point and so does Duke. Good discussion!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you know this from experience Chris? :ROFLMAO: I did have a staring contest with a deer this summer in my back 10 acres when I was on my zero turn.
You are right about the technology. But you and I would have a problem giving it up. Carbon shafts, string materials blended with Vectran, stainless steel broadleads, extruded aluminum, aspherical high index glass and on and on. So what is the better question? Where do we cut it off or how do we limit the use? Maybe both? I think none of it and let the user deal with their conscience. I think its like the 'ethical distance" question. The answer does not exist. You make a good point and so does Duke. Good discussion!
You're 100% correct Don, I wouldn't give it up. I'm all for technology and advancements. I love blazing fast bows, love my anemic 300fps micros. highly highly respect the amount of engineering that goes into making it happen. Also highly respect the amount of engineering that brought recurved to where they are now too. We are at the height, or at least a plateau of performance never seen with a pointy stick. It's exciting.

With that said, I can't help but feel a loss of something everytime I hear about someone dropping a turkey at 80yards, or a buck at 60+. But, to each their own, I also acknowledge that some skill goes into shooting a golf ball sized target with a 12G at 80y.
But I digress and we've all heard this a thousand times. No disrespect meant for anyone who chooses to hunt in any way shape or form, as long as we don't forget the basics. Not do we fall on our faces in the name of marketing. Maybe I'm just getting old;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not here in SoCal. No baiting, no ground blinds, no nothing. Not many deer either though.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I know some that are so lucky, wish I was! I tried to get mine into it, bought her her own M/L and 20 Ga., she wouldn't try bows, but after a couple hunts she just wasn't interested. But for me, having her want to hog it, use it, and do it together would have been ideal! I married her because I wanted live my life together with her!

·
11,296 Posts
My last buck was taken with my gal sitting 20 yards behind me. It was the first time she had ever hunted with me. After I shot the buck, the first one in about 5 years, she said “see how easy that was?” !!!! Yeah, right!!:LOL:

·
8,905 Posts
My last buck was taken with my gal sitting 20 yards behind me. It was the first time she had ever hunted with me. After I shot the buck, the first one in about 5 years, she said “see how easy that was?” !!!! Yeah, right!!:LOL: View attachment 182572
Reminds me … of a story a good friend of mine named Jerry from the old neighborhood told me decades ago. His sister married a guy who was, or became a stock broker. Got his hunting license and went up the Catskills where Jerry leased 700 acres on the side of Mt Vly. Mind you this was 50 does to one button buck and where half the time a 3 or 4 pointer won the buck pool. So the brother-in-law starts up the mountain, comes back down about 4 hours later dragging a nice 8 point buck. Eight points up there was like a 20 pointer anywhere else. The inexperienced guy says: "there's really not much to this," and never deer hunted again...lol :oops:😂

Reactions: YetiX

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I have had good luck the few times mine tried Tom, just wasn't her thing. We even own a downed log now in Tarr Hollow outside Chillicothe Ohio where we hunted. :love:

·
Registered
168 Posts
News flash!

Most of the top end bows made in the last few years have been made at or over their limit

·
8,905 Posts
Maybe so, but with or without all the gadgetry you've mentioned. 20-30yards requires more skill, planning and patience than 50-60. Doesn't matter what jacket your wearing :ROFLMAO:.

A few comments in this thread remind me that we've traded technology for laziness in some, but certainly not all cases. Anyone can hide in a ground blind at 60 yards. Hell, you could probably be cutting your lawn at 60 yards and still get a deer once and a while.
I took … a long range sniper course with a bunch of military & cops a few years ago. At 600 yards a steep hill about 100 yards wide was the backstop. Steel targets placed on two elevations of that hill. Bold as brass three deer traversed that hill like nothing was going on...lol So yeah, I can see killing a deer while cutting the lawn. That's why they make rifle scabbards for lawn tractors isn't it? 😂 :p

·
Registered
275 Posts
It is interesting how we (deer included) tune out 'background' noise. Anybody lived near train tracks? First day is like, no way! By the 5th day, it's like, what train?

I too have had to wait for deer to get out of the way at a shooting range.

I used to have a neighbor with his own private shooting range. He shot quite a bit on his 40 acres. So much so, that a lot of 'his' deer got used to it & kind of tuned it out - like, just because he is shooting again, doesn't mean we should leave.

I only hunted on his ground a couple times (& never again after this), but got permission one day to hunt (muzzleloader) when all the gun seasons were almost over. I wasn't going to be picky that day. So when I peered over a hill top & saw deer across a little valley 100 yards away, I got prone, lined up a shot at a doe & promptly missed! I had seen about 4 deer prior to the shot, but at the shot about 20 got up from their beds! About half took off but the other half seemed like - 'oh, it's just that noise again, we're used to this, nothing to be alarmed about' - and they stayed put. Pretty sure none saw me. Anyway, I scooted back down the hill, out of sight & reloaded. Crawled back up for a 2nd shot and the calm half of the deer heard were still standing there. Found a nice broadside shoulder (head behind a tree) & made a great shot this time, dropped one - except with the smoke, I didn't see it. All I could see was the rest of the deer getting the heck out of there. I thought I'd missed a 2nd time - this was long enough ago that 100 yards was still a long way. Reloaded & walked to where I thought the deer had been standing & found a big nice 10 point buck laying in a slight ditch. It actually took me a few seconds to connect the dots & realize the head I hadn't seen was a really nice one!

Anyway, I'll always believe that if my neighbor hadn't conditioned those deer with lots of loud target practice, that buck never would have stuck around for me to get a 2nd shot.

The 'rest of the story' is that the 10 point was my neighbor's target buck - he'd seen it a lot, but had just never got a shot at it. He was pretty sure it would make it through the season & he'd kill it the following year - except he never told me any of that! Oops! Needless to say, our relationship wasn't quite the same after that.

Oh well, moved a few years later.

·
Registered
90 Posts
As you can see there are so many opinions on crossbows just as many opinions on crossbows if you ask the question about broadheads they are the most heated conversations you can get into for hunters I owned a venom crossbow and had problems with it I still owe on it because I will not sell it to anybody to pass on the problems to them I went with Excalibar and I bought Two of their bow The speeds of the Bows are equal to the speeds of the wheel bow The recurve bows are simple to work on you don’t need to send them back for anything unless it’s a mechanical problem that you can’t fix yourself if you break a limb you can oder new lims and they send them to you within days and if your mechanically inclined you can put the new limbs on the bow and have it shooting in no time and if you are worried about limbs breaking buy an extra set of Lims and put them in your backpack when you go hunting out of state and you can switch them out I don’t know if any of this would help you but I see a lot of compound crossbows and I see a lot of problems with them that can’t be fixed without sending it back

·
Registered
65 Posts
As you can see there are so many opinions on crossbows just as many opinions on crossbows if you ask the question about broadheads they are the most heated conversations you can get into for hunters I owned a venom crossbow and had problems with it I still owe on it because I will not sell it to anybody to pass on the problems to them I went with Excalibar and I bought Two of their bow The speeds of the Bows are equal to the speeds of the wheel bow The recurve bows are simple to work on you don’t need to send them back for anything unless it’s a mechanical problem that you can’t fix yourself if you break a limb you can oder new lims and they send them to you within days and if your mechanically inclined you can put the new limbs on the bow and have it shooting in no time and if you are worried about limbs breaking buy an extra set of Lims and put them in your backpack when you go hunting out of state and you can switch them out I don’t know if any of this would help you but I see a lot of compound crossbows and I see a lot of problems with them that can’t be fixed without sending it back
I agree with you completely, but good God man, they don't charge us for punctation marks on this forum. A period or comma or two would be awesome. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

81 - 96 of 96 Posts