Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
1,468 Posts
Has anybody tried just serving over the bad area where the trigger hits? Maybe just the center of the serving.
if the serving would stay on it would not be round because you'd be serving over top of a flat spot. It might take a couple of tries but polishing latches is easy.

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
293 Posts
So I went and polished my trigger following Boo’s instructions. I took it one step farther at the end. I did a final polishing using a leather shoe lace. It left it like a mirror finish. I’ll see how that works after a bunch of shots.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So I went and polished my trigger following Boo’s instructions. I took it one step farther at the end. I did a final polishing using a leather shoe lace. It left it like a mirror finish. I’ll see how that works after a bunch of shots.
How did it work out for you? I'm sending mine back to Excalibur for new latches but if those don't fix it, I'll be polishing too. It's too close to hunting season for this.

·
1,468 Posts
Their engineer consulted with me before any changes were made. They changed the profile to what I wanted and took it one step better by using a MIM process. I get some privileges so I asked for 2 of them so that I could see the results and install them myself. I polished the surfaces with white rubbing compound to remove the coating from the hardening process to see just how perfect they were and smooth they were! I saw no reason to use any metal removing compound to make it even smoother. So yes, it worked great as expected. My 440 would eat a serving right off in 10 shots and my 360TD would burp servings in 30. Both are great and I expect to see several hundred shots.
The latch surfaces are much wider now and a slightly different profile all for the better.

Reactions: bbahunter

·
Registered
36 Posts
Their engineer consulted with me before any changes were made. They changed the profile to what I wanted and took it one step better by using a MIM process. I get some privileges so I asked for 2 of them so that I could see the results and install them myself. I polished the surfaces with white rubbing compound to remove the coating from the hardening process to see just how perfect they were and smooth they were! I saw no reason to use any metal removing compound to make it even smoother. So yes, it worked great as expected. My 440 would eat a serving right off in 10 shots and my 360TD would burp servings in 30. Both are great and I expect to see several hundred shots.
The latch surfaces are much wider now and a slightly different profile all for the better.
Two questions: 1. How can you tell if a trigger has the MIM latches? 2. Does Excalibur have a warranty center in the US? Thanks!

·
1,468 Posts
Two questions: 1. How can you tell if a trigger has the MIM latches? 2. Does Excalibur have a warranty center in the US? Thanks!
You cant tell. But if it is eating strings then it likely isnt a MIMd part. Excalibur has a depot in Michigan.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks Boo. In looking at the latch through a magnifier, there's definitely an edge on the right side latch, almost like a casting seam. I'll be calling them first thing Monday. Gotta get this sorted before hunting season which is exactly 5 weeks away.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Polish the trigger hooks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Polish the trigger hooks
I'm going to call them Monday morning and see how long the turn-around time is. If it's too long, I'll polish the hooks and just limit my shooting until after deer season. And carry a spare string.

·
1,468 Posts
Come to think about it, one of the changes that you can see is that the latch fingers are radiused on the outside only. The inside corner is barely radiused. This gives the latch finger (if memory serves me) about 125% more surface area contact with the serving.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Come to think about it, one of the changes that you can see is that the latch fingers are radiused on the outside only. The inside corner is barely radiused. This gives the latch finger (if memory serves me) about 125% more surface area contact with the serving.
Mine are radiused on both edges of the latches.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts