Crossbow Nation banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Man i sure have done a bunch of bows , maybe this winter i will do a thread of just picks ,
it would take me a while to find all of them !! ,lol.
OR,You could just start a thread called "SHOW MY BUILDS" and let us post our pics.....I for one know where my pics are,LOL. If I loose them,I have a phone to snap more!
Dukes bow is sharp!!! Your builds are truly "one of a kind"

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
"Like it?"... doesn't do justice to the job you did. Love it. Functional design, high performance and pleasing to the eye. You took a bow I almost gave away and turned it into one of those heirloom weapons with character & personality that you never part with. "It just don't git any better dan dat!"
Got a name picked out yet? You gotta name that bad boy/girl/it,LOL.
Long Tall Sally??? Every time I hear that song I think of the Predator movie,LOL.....

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Close the books on another success, and I'm sure a happy owner,,, I like that limb look, pretty cool with black camo and red,, don't sound good, but looks don't lie. Kinda a zombie Bone collector so to speak,,,, ;) (y)

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Looking for a Velocity right now to send Tim's way. Great work
better hurry, this may be the hot model this year,, and already in short supply!

Reactions: Iron Duke and Rit

·
8,905 Posts
Looking hard Can't find one
20" power stroke … just seems like it has so much untapped potential. At 450fps the bow doesn't seem like it would be working as hard as the new stuff with shorter draw lengths and narrow widths. With vertical bows there's just no making up for a longer DL. I'm not knocking the new bows, I like their performance and looks; just saying.

Thanks to my getting together with Burky and learning a little about the Scorpyd crossbows I've been stacking up deer with for 8 years, I have an Orion shooting 433fps, with a good string and proper timing; and a basically stock power train Velocity, since the business end is the same. It hasn't really been "hot rodded." Burky increased the "huntability" with a silent crank, non-folding stock, adjustable cheek rest, and a very functional sled docking system. The icing on the cake, the pièce de résistance, was pulling it all together in an Enzo Ferrari design/paint motif. Eye catching, nicely balanced, where everything on the bow contributes. If Wildcatter likes the look, he has a good eye for that stuff. His bows all look sharp and shoot like crazy. A spectacular one of a kind crossbow that should be devastating in the woods and fields for decades to come. Yet, easy to maintain and get parts for. It's exotic looking, without the traditional exotic headaches...lol

I wonder what that 452fps Velocity would do with a modern spec 375gr arrow...lol 467fps if you back into a number using the Pete Ward ballistic calculator.:) Right there with the modern big dogs. And still with potential left in that 20" power stroke. ;)

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
If Wildcatter likes the look, he has a good eye for that stuff. His bows all look sharp and shoot like crazy. A spectacular one of a kind crossbow that should be devastating in the woods and fields for decades to come. Yet, easy to maintain and get parts for. It's exotic looking, without the traditional exotic headaches...lol
HOLD ON THAR! I said I like the color scheme,,, and it certainly is an improvement over what the man had to work with!🦴 (y)

But we can't use a well dressed Matrix or Suppressor for a comparison, or those words bring new meaning!!! ;)

·
8,905 Posts
Problem … Have to figure out what optic to use. My Vortex Viper XBR was going to swap with the Vortex Gen2 3-15x on my Orion but the XBR is out to Vortex for parallax adjustment. (hopefully) I have two unused Leupold 2.5-8x36mm with 25 yard parallax sitting here but they don't do justice to either the Velocity or Orion. Certainly not the Burky Velocity! I'm seriously considering trying either the Nightforce 3-15x50mm from my AR15 or even the Nightforce 5-25x56mm ATACR from my AR10. Both have LaRue Quick Disconnect one piece rings so the zero can be reacquired quickly if I switch the optic back & forth. Burky saved me 3k from buying a new super screamers, double duty-ing a Nightforce would put a world class optic on the world class crossbow at no added cost. HMmmmm, gotta think bout this...lol Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
You seem to like the big dollar optics (so do I). How about a March Optics with parallax adjustment. Their "shorty" is interesting to me. However, their reticles may be a bit "busy" though.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Why not just be patient for a week or so and see what the XBR does first. The adjustment only takes a strap wrench and a couple of minutes to do so I would think it will be in the mail to you soon.

·
8,905 Posts
Why not just be patient for a week or so and see what the XBR does first. The adjustment only takes a strap wrench and a couple of minutes to do so I would think it will be in the mail to you soon.
Yeah … but word is 1-3 weeks after they get it. So far, I have no indication they've even gotten it yet. Plus, we're still dealing with the possibility that someone steps in at Vortex and disallows changing parallax on their crossbow scopes. I'm not making plans to ride that horse until it's back in the corral. ;)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I would start with one of the leupys at first ,see how ya like em .
if they don't fit what ya need switch to the night force on the gun in the back of the pick , it looks to be a tad more compact compared to the one in front .
Sit back and wait for the XBR , i sent in a scope and it took 1 hole month to get back to me , i actually forgot about it until it showed up in the mail .

·
8,905 Posts
I ran … the Leupold for years on the Orion. Serviceable scope. Killed a trainload of deer. Not very exciting though...lol Looking to step up.

Reactions: Martymig

·
8,905 Posts
Well I tried … both the Nightforce scopes and even with adjustable parallax neither focuses clearly at 20 yards at 15x. At 50 yards they shine. The Vortex I got for the Gorilla bow I "was going to buy" after the 2020 ATA show, and threw on my Scorpyd Orion for shakedown focuses crystal clear at 15x and 20 yards. I'm a bit disappointed because I thought I had a winner idea and great glass for the Burky Velocity. Now I'm back to square one.

I have a Zeiss 4.5-14x Adjustable Objective that once rode my Bowtech Strykeforce, but that's all zero'd in on a Savage 220F. I don't like the slug-gun, but it is a shooter. I hate to strip the optic off of it.

Have a Zeiss XB75 but it's only 7x. Two Leupold 2.5-8x w/25yard parallax. A 4-16xAO Burris but I don't know where it is at the moment...lol Was on my AR for a while before the Nightforce.

Depending on which part of his farm, I might be crossbowing some deer for a farmer this weekend. Crossbow in one area, Benelli in another. If it's crossbow, going to have to stick with the 433fps Orion until I get the Burky Velocity dressed with the right optic. Hopefully the Vortex XBR comes back and I can switch the 3-15x Vortex onto the Burky and stick the XBR on the Orion. An XBR with the right parallax is a step up from everything else I have available around here for a crossbow.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Well I tried … both the Nightforce scopes and even with adjustable parallax neither focuses clearly at 20 yards at 15x. At 50 yards they shine. The Vortex I got for the Gorilla bow I "was going to buy" and threw on my Scorpyd Orion for shakedown focuses crystal clear at 15x and 20 yards. I'm a bit disappointed because I thought I had a winner idea and great glass for the Burky Velocity. Now I'm back to square one.
You still have the XBR to try out though! WHEN we get them back,LOL>

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I have faith in you Duke... I'm sure you will figure out an awsome scope for that excellent bow you got there.... nothing good comes easy in this life. Persistance pays....

61 - 77 of 77 Posts