Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been hunting and target shooting with my bulldog 380 for the last couple years. Lately ive gotten in itch to add something new. I really like durable bows over speed and was eyeing the assassin 360.

I have a few questions for the guys with experience with them. Do these bows have any limb problems? I'm pretty sure they use the micro limbs and I know there were some small issues with them at some point. Also even though it comes with charger crank, can you still use an old fashion rope cocker or are you stuck with the crank?

thanks,

·
Premium Member
Excalibur Assassin 400TD
160 Posts
I'm 65 and have shot crossbows for about 35 years. I've owned and shot a lot of different crossbows.
I now own an Assassin 400 and have had it for 8 months.

The crank has been a major disappointment. I have had to change my cocking rope twice in less than 750 shots. And it is a pain in the butt to change. I still love the Assassin but she is high maintenance. If I had it to do all over again I would stick to a lower poundage wider limb with a hand held rope cocker.
A 40 yard shot is all I want and I could do that all day long with your Bulldog 380.
No limb problems yet but I'm using a 500 grain arrow, not the 350 grain that comes with it.

P.S. My brother has an Assassin 360 and I've changed his cocking rope once in less than 400 shots.

·
Registered
Axe Micro/Matrix Hybrid
231 Posts
Sometimes less is more ,,,,,,380 BD will do it all

Having owned a Micro ,,,,,340 fps would be my Maximum

I had to use a crank with the micro 340 for all day target use ,,,,,,270 lbs limbs are no fun to rope cock all day .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm 65 and have shot crossbows for about 35 years. I've owned and shot a lot of different crossbows.
I now own an Assassin 400 and have had it for 8 months.

The crank has been a major disappointment. I have had to change my cocking rope twice in less than 750 shots. And it is a pain in the butt to change. I still love the Assassin but she is high maintenance. If I had it to do all over again I would stick to a lower poundage wider limb with a hand held rope cocker.
A 40 yard shot is all I want and I could do that all day long with your Bulldog 380.
No limb problems yet but I'm using a 500 grain arrow, not the 350 grain that comes with it.

P.S. My brother has an Assassin 360 and I've changed his cocking rope once in less than 400 shots.
Thanks looks like its a pass on the assassin. I wish they never discontinued the 308 Short line 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
Axe Micro/Matrix Hybrid
231 Posts
Agreed regards 308 ,,,,likewise taking out the majority of matrix models ,,they were a great alternative if you wanted same speed rating , with less limb tension over a similar rated micro....

·
3,700 Posts
Agreed regards 308 ,,,,likewise taking out the majority of matrix models ,,they were a great alternative if you wanted same speed rating , with less limb tension over a similar rated micro....
Yep, and forcing the take down riser on every model except the Mag. I’ve seen posts about the speed of the Assassin or Suppressor 400, and my easily rope cockable 380 hybrid meets or exceeds them. Never had an issue with matrix width limbs in a stand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish I had kept my GRZ 2 also, it'd be a nice little backup bow. I can't really justify buying a new one knowing I've already owned one and sold it at a loss.

Question on the same topic, what's the go to bow for durability out of a modern Excalibur lineup with the BD330 and the 308 short gone?

·
Registered
Excalibur Mag 340/ 355 Suppressor
656 Posts
I wish I had kept my GRZ 2 also, it'd be a nice little backup bow. I can't really justify buying a new one knowing I've already owned one and sold it at a loss.

Question on the same topic, what's the go to bow for durability out of a modern Excalibur lineup with the BD330 and the 308 short gone?

I have the micro mag 340 excape nice shooting crossbow

·
Registered
Axe Micro/Matrix Hybrid
231 Posts

Never hear concerns with the GRZ 2 or G340

It's slim pickings now , not liking Excal appears to be going all in on the Micro series

I agree Mag / Axe 340 is really nice crossbow to shoulder and shoot , I've one does everything well .
I'd vote for it as the one thats the best of the micro bunch in dollar value and versatility ....( As long as I had my crank unit handy )

My next crossbow will probably be a GRZ 2 ( like I say zero issues )

·
Registered
668 Posts

I saw this recently, might be some 308 shorts available through Danny Miller yet? The title of the thread says "delete post" but the posts are still there to see: Please delete post

·
2,267 Posts
I saw this recently, might be some 308 shorts available through Danny Miller yet? The title of the thread says "delete post" but the posts are still there to see: Please delete post
I'm sure he has some 308 Shorts as well as a few 355 Suppressors. Long story as to why but Danny just sent me a 355 Suppressor. At that speed range, it's one of the best ways to go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts