Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,913 Posts
After going through several sets of cheap binos I finally broke down and bought a Swarovski 8.5x42 EL bino. Never regretted spending that money in the least. That was 20 or so years back and they still looked great this morning on stand. :)

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Buy once, cry once.

These ratings always makes me wonder who donated the most money to the test.

But I’ll go with Zeiss, Swarovski, and Leica - you can chose the order.

Reactions: Tnmtns

·
Registered
Mission Sub-1
807 Posts

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Buy once, cry once.

These ratings always makes me wonder who donated the most money to the test.

But I’ll go with Zeiss, Swarovski, and Leica - you can chose the order.
I finally cried once and think I'm done......Bought the new Swarovski NL Pures this year!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, of course the top 3 came out to be Swarovski, Zeiss & Leica - all around $3000 - maybe Swarovski paid the testers the most!

True that nobody wants lesser optics, but a lot of people are very interested in items that offer 95-98 % of the performance of the top shelf items for half or a third of the cost.

Kind of like crossbows.

And a couple of things I really liked about the article is the differing price brackets and then ranking them all against each other - (at least according to them) some $500 binoculars outperform some $1000 models.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I stopped reading at 10x. From personal experience and the areas I hunt anything over 8x is useless.

Reactions: robertyb and Tnmtns

·
Registered
136 Posts
The article is written poorly and not fact checked. The rest of the classifications were pure rubbish. Swarovski SLC is alpha glass LOL.

Yes, of course the top 3 came out to be Swarovski, Zeiss & Leica - all around $3000 - maybe Swarovski paid the testers the most!
Did you think a lesser bins would come out on top? Those 3 brands are no compromise. I don't buy new Binos every year but when I do it is a Alpha binocular. They are a joy to use and if you need to they have resale value.

·
Registered
234 Posts
That's your experience.
Yes it is. Bigger field of view & better light gathering than 10x and easier on the eyes when truly using them for extended periods.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes it is. Bigger field of view & better light gathering than 10x and easier on the eyes when truly using them for extended periods.
Easier on the eyes, where did you come up with that? How about better detail at long range with a 10x? For average deer hunting in the North east 8x42 are fine but you cannot see the detail that you can with a 10x42.

Like I said before it is your experience, others that have used 10x42's or 10 anything don't share that.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Easier on the eyes, where did you come up with that? How about better detail at long range with a 10x? For average deer hunting in the North east 8x42 are fine but you cannot see the detail that you can with a 10x42.

Like I said before it is your experience, others that have used 10x42's or 10 anything don't share that.
What 10x get in detail they lose in low light an field of view. Deer typically are more active at Dusk & Dawn. The extra 2x in detail is a loss in low light. While your squinting in low light, my eyes are at ease seeing.... EASIER ON THE EYES. I want you to buy 10x do it. I will 8x and have a couple minutes or more if over cast of binocular vision.

·
Registered
136 Posts
What 10x get in detail they lose in low light an field of view. Deer typically are more active at Dusk & Dawn. The extra 2x in detail is a loss in low light. While your squinting in low light, my eyes are at ease seeing.... EASIER ON THE EYES. I want you to buy 10x do it. I will 8x and have a couple minutes or more if over cast of binocular vision.
Squinting LMAO. It's all about exit pupil and with really good glass the resolution is phenomenal even way after shooting hours. I have both 8x42 and 10x56 binos. I would not be caught dead at last light with the 8x42 and especially in dark woods.

I am not going to go back and forth with you, continue using your 8x42;s.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts