Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Barnett Whitetail Hunter STR
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to crossbows. I bought my barnett (375 fps) last year. This will be my first season to use it. I plan to use it all season if possible. I will be using it on whitetail only. All shots are within 40 yards.

What broadheads do you like for whitetail? I planned to use grim reapers but I can’t sharpen them. I prefer my heads to be really sharp before using them.
I thought of trying a 3 blade fixed head for easy sharpening but I feel like I’m wasting potential with a small head. The crossbow has enough energy to get a pass through with a larger head.

Does anyone know an easy way to sharpen grim reapers? I feel like that would be the perfect solution. I’m terrible at sharpening. If not what is your favorite 3 blade fixed head that is easy to sharpen? Should I just shoot the reapers and not worry about sharpening them?

I just want to make sure I am as ethical as possible while getting the best cut possible. Pass throughs are my number one goal while achieving the biggest cut possible.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
The sharper the arrow head, the better the penetration and the quicker the kill.
What ever type of broadhead you plan to use, sight the crossbow in with them.
Some fixed broadheads and some mechanicals will hit the same point of impact
as field points, but this is not a safe bet when hunting animals. One owes it to
the animal to provide an accurate, quick kill.

Larger broad heads, fixed or mechanical provide a larger entry and exit opening
resulting in a better blood trail which results in a quick death providing an accurate
shot was made in the kill zone.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
They are sharp out of package. You will find That any xbow over 300 fps is going to get a pass thru on a whitetail 40 yards and in. You have enough horsepower at 375 fps to get pass thru on an elk. Last nap spit fire I used was on its second deer. Just cleaned it up a used it again. Hit a tree after pass thru on second deer. Destroyed head and arrow. Still got 2 heads left,also bought some Truglo 4 blade titanium X mechs to try this year.

·
Registered
70 Posts
When I first started hunting with a crossbow I was shooting a horton vision, it conographed at 307 fps. I shot deer turkeys and coyotes with that setup, with the nap spitfires. Every animal shot was complete pass-through. I never realy had to follow a blood trail, all I did was walk to the deer in sight. I still went and looked at the blood trail which was very impressive. Now I shoot crossbows with alot more energy and still use spitfires. Never sharped a blade on any head. I shoot them threw a deer then discard them. Here is some pictures.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Swhack broadheads are a good choice.
They shoot pretty much the same as a field point.
Any broadhead is sharp right out of the package, so no need mess with them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just have bought a package of 6 Innerloc 4 blade 125 grain . These are very well constructed. Very sharp replaceable blades. The Innerlocs fly streight and hit where my field points hit. Did not have to resight my scope. I have not killed any game with them but from the way rhey are constructed, they are killers. .

·
Registered
14,675 Posts
Ive shot alot of different broadheads since switching to a crossbow and I can honestly say all that I have used have killed deer. To name a few: Rocket steelheads, Swhackers, Torrid SS-100's, Dead Ringer Nastys, etc. This year I'm experimenting with Rage Hypodermics (China knockoffs). So far one shot at a hog and it produced a good bloodtrail. Ive read some awesome reviews about hypos, even the ones made in China. I'm looking for "the one" and this might just be it. (Fingers crossed). And I'm also looking for really affordable heads too.;)

BTW, I havent shot a fixed blade head since the 80's when I first saw a mechanical and I have no desire to ever shoot another fixed head again.;):)

·
Registered
TenPoint Viper S400 / Mission Sub 1 XR
1,019 Posts
This year I’m shooting Rago Hypodermic crossbow (red collar) 125gr.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This year I’m shooting Rago Hypodermic crossbow (red collar) 125gr.
It seems a lot of people use these on crossbows. I have some of the rage hypo crossbow no collar. Is the red collar better than the no collar? The no collar kind of worries me a little.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I first started hunting with a crossbow I was shooting a horton vision, it conographed at 307 fps. I shot deer turkeys and coyotes with that setup, with the nap spitfires. Every animal shot was complete pass-through. I never realy had to follow a blood trail, all I did was walk to the deer in sight. I still went and looked at the blood trail which was very impressive. Now I shoot crossbows with alot more energy and still use spitfires. Never sharped a blade on any head. I shoot them threw a deer then discard them. Here is some pictures.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Awesome! I will definitely give them a try. Do you put any dental bands or anything like that on them or just open the pack and shoot it? I don’t plan to resharpen them after taking an animal with them. I don’t mind buying new ones. I was mainly worried about them not being sharp enough out of the box. I have always sharpened my broadheads before using them. Just to insure I get the most ethical kill possible. It would be nice to just open the pack and screw it on though.

·
Registered
TenPoint Viper S400 / Mission Sub 1 XR
1,019 Posts
It seems a lot of people use these on crossbows. I have some of the rage hypo crossbow no collar. Is the red collar better than the no collar? The no collar kind of worries me a little.
I have no experience with the no collar. I have more confidence in the red collar for crossbow just based on the few I’ve shot off my Sub 1 XR. Very accurate

1 - 20 of 28 Posts