Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved from TX to N VA, and I'm looking to take advantage of the long bow season, but I need a crossbow ASAP. I was a year round hog hunter in TX, but you can't use rifles around here.
I could use some advice on gear from crossbows and broad heads, to camo and scent spray. Thanks, everyone.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
Welcome to the boards.

·
Registered
306 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What’s your budget for a crossbow?
I look at every expenditure as getting my money's worth, whether it be a car, or lunch. I just got a barely used $9,000 couch for $200. I'm always on the lookout for a deal, and a sucker for a good bargain. But I have no problem spending $300 on dinner for my wife and I if I feel I'm getting my money's worth.
Having said that I don't want to spend money on something I really don't need (i.e. I wouldn't by a $1,000 rifle I'm going to use only a few times a year). To answer your question (sorry), I'm looking in the $5-700 range. I still need to get a stand, bolts/heads, target, etc., and tell my wife, 'Look what I bought!'

·
Premium Member
Excalibur Assassin 400TD
1,118 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Welcome from WV
I started out with a Barnett and my brother got him a Barnett last year and they are both good bows and will shoot practically any mechanical head out there.
Walmart is where my brother bought his whitetail 2

·
Registered
Excalibur Micro Suppressor
89 Posts
Excalibur 340. Best value around. You can find one for around $699. Lifetime warranty--best one in the crossbow world. Very simple, if something happens to it, you can usually fix it in the field and keep right on hunting. It will last forever if you treat it nice. Very durable. If you call Wyvern, they can put you a package together with bolts, broadheads, case etc. So that extra money you were mentioning for accessories can be put in on the crossbow deal. Just my opinion. Welcome to the Nation.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Excalibur 340. Best value around. You can find one for around $699. Lifetime warranty--best one in the crossbow world. Very simple, if something happens to it, you can usually fix it in the field and keep right on hunting. It will last forever if you treat it nice. Very durable. If you call Wyvern, they can put you a package together with bolts, broadheads, case etc. So that extra money you were mentioning for accessories can be put in on the crossbow deal. Just my opinion. Welcome to the Nation.
X2
Welcome to the Nation.

·
Registered
Tenpoint Siege, Ripper 415, Vortex,
1,019 Posts
Welcome. So many crossbows to choose from. Definitely do your research and handle some if you can. Low maintenance and dependability go for Excalibur, good crossbow. Tenpoint wicked ridge line has some good ones. I have a budget Killer instinct ripper 415 that’s been good to me. A little on the wide side and a little bit too long for me to cock comfortably but accurate. My main bow is the tenpoint siege. Narrow, fast and nicely balanced. Hi tech so I purposely don’t shoot it a lot because I purposely don’t want to be doing maintenance on it much. Some guys on here are very good at changing strings, maintenance and everything. Not me. But love the siege for its speed, accuracy and decocking feature.

·
5,494 Posts
Have you looked at the area you intend to hunt yet? What kind of shots are you considering? A recurve is going to be the simplest. They are light and dead nuts accurate. The Excal Mag 340 is in your budget. Looking for a bargain? A used Excal is a good way to go. That said, having 3 recurves and 2 compound crossbows, the compounds are more compact, easier to cock, and generally faster, sometimes quite a bit. If you are a sight in and hunt guy, the maintenance with a compound crossbow may not be as much of an issue. Compound crossbows in your price range - Wicked Ridge, Barnett, Centerpoint, maybe Killer Instinct, but their limbs tend to be an adventure. Whatever you get, a crossbow should be very accurate -providing you shoot quality arrows. Package or off the shelf “bolts” can be frustrating if you want accuracy, especially with broadheads. If you have a local shop or even a Bass Pro or Cabelas, go handle some to get a feel for what you like. If you can’t, then calling Wyvern would be a good move. And Welcome to CN!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you looked at the area you intend to hunt yet? What kind of shots are you considering? A recurve is going to be the simplest. They are light and dead nuts accurate. The Excal Mag 340 is in your budget. Looking for a bargain? A used Excal is a good way to go. That said, having 3 recurves and 2 compound crossbows, the compounds are more compact, easier to cock, and generally faster, sometimes quite a bit. If you are a sight in and hunt guy, the maintenance with a compound crossbow may not be as much of an issue. Compound crossbows in your price range - Wicked Ridge, Barnett, Centerpoint, maybe Killer Instinct, but their limbs tend to be an adventure. Whatever you get, a crossbow should be very accurate -providing you shoot quality arrows. Package or off the shelf “bolts” can be frustrating if you want accuracy, especially with broadheads. If you have a local shop or even a Bass Pro or Cabelas, go handle some to get a feel for what you like. If you can’t, then calling Wyvern would be a good move. And Welcome to CN!
Hunting on private property from a tree stand, 25-35 yards. Thanks for the feedback. I talked with Dave at Wyvern (great guy - even called me back on a Friday evening). I hate making a regretful decision, so I'm in a slight state of paralysis by analysis. And I still have to figure out which hunting broadheads, if I need illuminated notches, right type of target?
I know this is heresy, but I'm also considering air powered, PCP arrow guns, since they are legal here, and I already have PCP equipment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts