Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all got about 1500 +/- to spend on a new cross bow . Looking to get some recommendations from you all I like the tenpoint and ravins will be used on whitetail . Looking for reliability more so then. Anything . Let’s hear what ya got !
ohh and I’m loving this site so far I just joined recently
Thanks in advance -Tom

·
Registered
Excalibur Equinox, Micro Mag 340
949 Posts
I have not looked into that brand yet but will . Is that what you shoot ?
Yes, an older wide limb Excalibur Equinox & a micro 340.
Most modern crossbows are good & definitely get the job done. Some require more upkeep & maintenance than others. Just do your research well & if possible try out shooting different models if possible at retailers to get a feel for your likings.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Narrow crossbows are much harder on bowstring and cables due to there
sharper string angles. The higher the draw weight,the more stress applied
to every thing.
Crossbows that use arrows with proprietory nocks, these are much more
expensive and at times hard, if not impossible to find.

Some crossbows may require arrow and or scope up grades.
The higher the draw weight the crossbow, the flatter it will shoot which is
ideal for target shooting.

Any back, arm or shoulder injury, a crank cocking device is better which
will make an easier sale later on.. This device which is slower than a rope
cocker is more accurate.

Some crossbows require a special press which one needs if doing their
own repair or tuning. If a bow shop does not carry the bow that requires
the special press, he has no reason to have that press.

If you check the "Brand" section of this forum, one will get lots of feed back
on what ever crossbow you may be interested in.

When you find a crossbow you like, check the "Market Place" on this forum
as often times a crossbow comes up with several extra accessories.

Wishing you all the best with what ever you choose.
Take care.

·
Registered
Tenpoint Siege, Ripper 415, Vortex,
1,066 Posts
While some people don’t like the new fast, narrow crossbows I personally have had a great experience with mine. It’s a tenpoint siege. It’s got roughly 1500 + shots on it. Not one problem with limbs or anything else on the bow. Very well balanced. There are so many different bows to choose from that are good bows. Like mentioned above, I am considering an Excalibur just because of the ease of maintaining it myself. But there are considerations. I bought the narrower siege because I generally hunt up in a tree. And because of the acuslide decocking system. I also have a Killer instinct ripper 415. I haven’t hunted with it yet. The ripper got a bad reputation because of limb failures. I haven’t had a failure but I haven’t shot it a lot like I have the siege. I believe they got it resolved now. If you can, look at them in person, hold them and see what feels good to you. At your price range you’ve got some good choices.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With my luck if I was just getting into crossbows and had 1500 to spend I would be looking to spend 1000 for a primary bow and 500 for a good backup lol.
I hear that . But our cross bow season here is like 10 days long . So if I had a failure on it I could use the compound or rifle shortly after

·
Registered
266 Posts
A friend of mine has a viper 400 and loves it.
I think I'll probably get a ki X-1 next.
It feels very good shouldered and doesn't have a diving board scope mount.
The enclosed barrel has a lot of advantages and a second set of limbs isn't expensive.
Can use them while broken ones get replaced by ki.
That's if they break some haven't had that problem with theirs.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
I been looking at the turbo s1 , TITAN M1 and the viper 400 any of you got hands on experience with any of them
Viper and Turbo are great bows. Both have the accuslide and are very similar. I had the viper and never should have sold it. My buddy has the turbo and loves it. If you are a bigger guy like me you will need the stock extensions for the turbo but the Viper is perfect without them.

Reactions: JCAT

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also, you should think about if you want a rope cocker or crank system. Both have their pros and cons. Look into that too.
I would try to handle and shoot as many as you can and then go with one that picks you.
Good luck with your first crossbow.

·
Registered
Excalibur Micro 355 Suppressor
579 Posts
Welcome to "The Nation". (y)

Buying a crossbow is like buying a new car or truck. You want it to fit YOU. You will get a hundred replies with 50 different answers here on the Forum.
Personally, I suggest you make a couple of trips to different Archery shops. And shoot different bows if possible. Some types may be hard to find in your area. I know I had that problem years ago. Thankfully I have a friend that runs a "bow shop" about 30 miles from me.
He's a Matthews dealer. However, after holding his feet to the fire, he said if "push comes to shove" he'd buy an Excalibur due to ease of maintenance and warranty.

Your price limit will buy you a nice setup. Shop around. Go talk to folks "in person" and shoot what they are selling.
Might be a little difficult to do with Excalibur. Closest Excalibur dealer to me is well over 200 miles away. And I don't know where you are located.

With being said, I know have managed to get 6 friends of mine to buy Excalibur's after shooting mine. No shop. 🤣

I think if you look around on this forum, you will find a number of Excalibur shooters. But I know too that there are a large number of Ravin, Ten Point and Missions on here also.

I come from a school where your equipment was your lifeline. If it failed, you might not make it home at the end of the tour. Dependability was paramount. It stood between success and failure.

That's why I chose Excalibur. 😎

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Hey all got about 1500 +/- to spend on a new cross bow . Looking to get some recommendations from you all I like the tenpoint and ravins will be used on whitetail . Looking for reliability more so then. Anything . Let’s hear what ya got !
ohh and I’m loving this site so far I just joined recently
Thanks in advance -Tom
Tom, welcome to the Nation. Everyone here has given you great advice. Everyone here is good people and want to help. My experience has been, I’ve had about 7 xbows until I settled on what I have now. Ive had compound xbows , reverse draw xbow, and then I got an Excalibur. Once I shot it I knew I had what fit me. I have a second recurve now. It’s an older Middleton. I had never heard of them before it was offered to me. I like the recurve design. It’s plenty fast enough and you can do any work needed. I hope you find exactly what you want. Glad you are here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts