Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been scouring forums and the web for info on different crossbows, and came across this place. So far it's full of information, so i'm asking for a little help in picking out my first xbow. Budget is under 400 right now, I missed out on the Centerpoint Sniper 370 for $229 at bass pro so i've started looking at others, as its out of stock. Does anyone have any insight? The Wicked Ridge Invader X4 looks promising, especially since it's made in USA, priced at 399 right now, is at the top end of my budget.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at the Ripper 415 as well. They have some pretty nice looking setups under 300 bucks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I was looking at the Ripper 415 as well. They have some pretty nice looking setups under 300 bucks.
Indeed they do! I thought enough of them to buy my father one to replace his defective Barnett paper weight. He is now 72 and he loves his Boss 405. I did splurge for the Dead Silent Crank to go with it though. He is still a hard ass, but I doubt he was cocking that bad boy with a rope. LOL!

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Or this version of the 415 for $299.99 It's a nice step up from the Sniper and for less than $100. Faster, narrower, quieter, better trigger, better butt stock.

Northwoods Wholesale

Reactions: goldy789

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think i've narrowed it down to two choices, the Amped 415, and the KI Boss 405. Northwoods Outlet has both of them for 299.99. the KI comes with hyper bolts and grim reaper broadheads, which i know nothing about, i'm mostly a rifle and shotgun hunter.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Do your homework....

• The KI bow packages come with the HL bolts/arrows which IMO are too light for a 400 fps+ crossbow hunting arrow at only 370 gn, so that's not much of a plus. The Amped arrows are 400 gn which are right at the good weight point for these fast bows. Both are .003 shaft straightness You will very likely buy better arrows for either of these bows but the base package arrows in the Amped package wins in comparison.
  • I couldn't find info on the Grim Reaper broadheads at Northwoods but I'm a fan and user of their crossbow rated mechanical broadheads. Might be a +$40 value.
  • Both butt stocks are adjustable but I prefer the butt stock of the Amped with the adjustable cheek pad.
  • Scopes are a wash and only OK on both bows
  • The long add-on string suppressors of the 405 scream "vibration" I see that KI installs silencers on the suppressors...... Is that redundant ;) The shorter integrated suppressors are standard on most of the CenterPoint xbows and are dead silent.
  • The trigger on the 405 is .5 lb lighter and probably shorter than the Amped but the Amped can be improved if you care to and be a short 1/8" pull and break at 2.5-3 lbs.
  • I'll bet the Amped is quieter (limb pressure)
  • The Amped is 2" narrower cocked
Warranties are important but so is the company behind the warranty. I know of only good things from CenterPoint. Not so sure that's the same with KI but I've never had a KI xbow to know.

A good friend of mine is the archery lead at one of the largest outdoor retailers in the Dallas area and they sell all the major xbow brands. For the last 3 years the CenterPoint bows outsell everything in their price points 4 to 1 and they rarely see the xbows returned for issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do your homework....

• The KI bow packages come with the HL bolts/arrows which IMO are too light for a 400 fps+ crossbow hunting arrow at only 370 gn, so that's not much of a plus. The Amped arrows are 400 gn which are right at the good weight point for these fast bows. Both are .003 shaft straightness You will very likely buy better arrows for either of these bows but the base package arrows in the Amped package wins in comparison.
  • I couldn't find info on the Grim Reaper broadheads at Northwoods but I'm a fan and user of their crossbow rated mechanical broadheads. Might be a +$40 value.
  • Both butt stocks are adjustable but I prefer the butt stock of the Amped with the adjustable cheek pad.
  • Scopes are a wash and only OK on both bows
  • The long add-on string suppressors of the 405 scream "vibration" I see that KI installs silencers on the suppressors...... Is that redundant ;) The shorter integrated suppressors are standard on most of the CenterPoint xbows and are dead silent.
  • The trigger on the 405 is .5 lb lighter and probably shorter than the Amped but the Amped can be improved if you care to and be a short 1/8" pull and break at 2.5-3 lbs.
  • I'll bet the Amped is quieter (limb pressure)
  • The Amped is 2" narrower cocked
Warranties are important but so is the company behind the warranty. I know of only good things from CenterPoint. Not so sure that's the same with KI but I've never had a KI xbow to know.

A good friend of mine is the archery lead at one of the largest outdoor retailers in the Dallas area and they sell all the major xbow brands. For the last 3 years the CenterPoint bows outsell everything in their price points 4 to 1 and they rarely see the xbows returned for issues.
You've been very helpful, and helped me make a decision! Thank you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One more question, in regards to the Patriot vs Amped. Is the crank cocker that comes with the Patriot worth the 25ish dollar difference between the two after shipping costs?

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
You've been very helpful, and helped me make a decision! Thank you!
You're welcome!

BTW, the Amped, Patriot and Heat 415s are variations of the same bow. Mild cosmetic differences only. The Patriot and Heat once were Dealer only xbows and the Amped was the CenterPoint product.

Reactions: goldy789

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
That's a $75 item so $25 is a bargain to add it. The question I have is will you use it vs manual cocking? Are you long or short or in between? I'm 5' 9" on a tall day in boots. Cocking the Amped by hand is not an issue with the cocking rope length trimmed to a minimum. I've seen a simple "step" setup built to help in the cocking process for a shorter folks but the add on cocking system may be very useful.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'm about the same height, and still fairly young/healthy. I"ve never had issues cocking crossbows by hand before in my limited experience with them, but i also like convenience lol. I also like supporting local, and being from michigan Northwoods really appeals to me. Just wasn't sure how big of a difference the crank would make. I guess i can always get one later on if i really need to use one.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Hey Bulldog! Pay attention and learn something.... ;)

Reactions: BULLDOGGBOYZ
1 - 20 of 29 Posts