Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at moving to mechanicals from fixed blade broadheads. I’m running a Camx A4 with 18” Black Eagle’s. I’d like to stick to 100 gr. heads as well. We are shooting Michigan white tails in this equation.

I’ve done a little homework, I have a couple of questions:

1. I’m looking at rear deploying heads due to the speed of my Camx. Am I thinking about that wrong?

2. How do you practice with something like mechanicals when most seem like they don’t have practice tips. Rage’s don’t have practice heads? Or do they? I can’t find any for crossbows on their site. I don’t like the idea of “they should fly like field tips” kind of trust. I’d like to be able to practice with them so I know exactly what to expect from my equipment. I also don’t want to be buying a Rhinhart every year either lol.

3. Any suggestions on rear deploying broadheads that I should look into? I really looking for something that does it’s job 99% of the time. I don’t care what the brand is personally.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I practice with Swhackers by wrapping a thin strip of electrical tape to hold in the deployable blades. Works well but don't know if that method would work on some of the newer mechanicals.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
You almost just have to figure on sacrificing a head to practice with. I have been using FOC's with good results.Your Camx is fast enough as long as you dont go shooting ridiculous distances...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Generally it is thought that the rear deploying heads are less likely to open during flight, and are more likely to open properly on impact with your quarry. It makes sense to a degree, except there are plenty of frontal opening heads that have killed game. I personally believe it depends on the design of the head. Rage does make practice tips for the Hypodermic series heads, as does Dead Ringer and NAP Spitfires. It's getting kind of hard to find heads this close to the season however. A big favorite on this site is the TruGlo Titanium X 4 blade heads. They will be on my arrows this season. Apparently they are becoming scarce and are 5 weeks backordered from TruGlo, according to some of my CBN brother's. There is no practice head for the TG's though, but they do come with 3 sets of replacement blades. Most of today's heads that are designated for X-bow use will not open under 380 fps and claim they are good up to 400 fps. I'd not worry about front or rear deploying at this juncture of the game. Just get some quality heads, dental band them if you worry about premature deployment, and get dialed in. If you hit the mark they will all likely "Keeelllll" as Doug Marcaida from Forged in Fire says. See if you can find some Grim Reapers available. They are another outstanding choice that will bleed em out fast.

·
4,770 Posts
I second the TruGlo 100g 4 blade expsndibles. A bear, 2 or 3 deer lots of target practice, and I’m still on the first TruGlo. Spin tests perfectly and easy to resharpen on the broadhead. I hope the remaining 11get to experience this much success.
I do believe that there are major advantages to rear deploying broadheads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts