Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using beeswax on the track/rail of my crossbow and also on the serving of the string. However I'm getting the impression from reading through threads on here that, that might not be a good idea. So my question is, what/how /how often should I lube the rail and what should I be putting on that and the string?

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Depends on what kind of bow it is. Parker says not to lube rail all. I don't wax to lube the deck any more, attracts dust and dirt. I'm finding that Jig A Loo (spray lube that dries to a slippery film from WalMart) works great on decks as well as arrows to enable their removal from foam targets.

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmmmm, well it's an Armex ( Cheap asian type thing). Not sure If I could get Jig a Loo over here in the UK, dread to think of the looks I'd get going into Asda and asking for it ;) (Asda is owned by WalMart)

·
11,412 Posts
I've found that waxes and oils only

reduce center serving life. You should be able to find some type of dry lubes in the UK. Jigaloo works great.;)

·
11,412 Posts
I have

at least 6 other types of dry lubes I purchased to test:D before finding Jigaloo:p I don't know what to do with that stuff now.

Jigaloo is awesome for many uses and doesn't have that nasty petroleum smell.

·
242 Posts
I don't know if this is true for all crossbows, but for me, I have found no difference in string serving life when I lube the rail and when I don't. I haven't lubed for at least the last 2,000 shots and I now get about 500 shots before I have to reserve the string. If you shoot a lot, you may try a test to see if it makes a difference with your crossbow. When I used to lube my rail, I noticed that it did collect dust and it also had a burnt smell when I would shoot.

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
I use bee's wax on my string. I use Horton rail lube for all the friction points. I think the string wax looks like generic Chapstick. I think actual chapstick is petroleum based and a bad idea. But there are some paraffin based products out there in the lip balm product line I bet would work good. I am going to have a look at this jigaloo stuff for myself.

·
Banned
364 Posts
I use a good, unscented wax on my string I wax after 25 or so shots, rubbing the wax in with a piece of leather.

I use a Dry Film Teflon spray on the deck. Dries in seconds and leaves a very smooth , slick surface. It is ordorless and non sticky. Works fantastic
I'm believe it works as good or better than Jig A Loo on the barrel . Haven't tried Jig A Loo as the local WalMart Super Center doesn't carry it. Can't find it any place here.

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So a dry film lubricant works for the rail then? would a silicon spray work just as well ? I was thinking that as it is used for various other stuff as a polish then it might work on the rail, what do you think?

If not I'l just have to look for a teflon spray I guess.

·
Banned
364 Posts
I don't see why silicone would not work as long as it is a dry film. Most silicone that I has seen does not compleyely dry and leves a bit of a sticky residue.

You could order Jig A Loo or a Teflon Dry Film spray and have it sent to you.

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
Anyone's wives, girl friends, mothers or friends have one of those wick free natural soy candles that you place on a hot plate? If so reach in there and feel the soy wax. It's thick and slick. It feels better than the packaged stick waxes. I have yet to find one unscented however. Maybe I could find a pine one for hunting pines or apple for an orchard. Not sure what an unscented one would smell like.
This thread got me thinking about different waxes and yea I went and sampled all of my wife's candles around the house.:)

·
115 Posts
I got a can of DuPont Teflon Multi-Use dry wax lubricant and it works great on everything that moves on my crossbow. I even coat my arrows with it, and that coupled with lubing the rail with it really reduces friction quite a lot and increases launch speeds a bit.

You can get an 11oz can of it at Lowes for under $5.00

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
Moonkryket said:
reduce center serving life. You should be able to find some type of dry lubes in the UK. Jigaloo works great.:ack2:
Danny Miller, US warranty rep for Excal also advises not to wax the serving. [nor rail]

·
11,412 Posts
beervo2

Jigaloo is a life saver on the 3D range. Pulling GT's and Easton Power Bolt shafts from 3D targets without it is a struggle. But as Griz said, there are other products that work great. At least the folks that visit Crossbow Nation will have a good idea as to what to try. I just like the way Jigaloo smells as compared to some of the other stuff I tried. I put some on my ankles today to see if it repelled ticks and my socks kept slipping down into my boots:eek::ack2:;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts