Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I live in SoCal (about 30 miles east of L.A.). FAR away from most normal crossbow folks.
I walked into my local grocery store the other day, and as I walked past the magazine rack, I notice that there is a...crossbow...magazine. Cool, I pick it up and toss it into the cart.

I didn't notice at first as I was just doing a quick "skim" of the magazine, but...something caught my attention.

Let me say, that I, like some/many of you, believe that a "modern" crossbow, shoots "arrows", not bolts. I have a nice copy of a medieval crossbow. It shoots "bolts". There's very little similar to today's crossbow arrows, except that it's a straight shaft. Unlike a vertical bows arrows vs a crossbow arrow, where the only difference is a few thousands of an inch in...diameter, and possibly a little in length.

Back to the magazine. I've never seen it before, especially in a store in SoCal. As I start reading through it, I keep seeing references to "bolts". What the hell..!? Even in an article about, "best bargains", they reference that one crossbow that shoots arrows...RATHER than bolts. What are they smoken ?

Well, no matter what the magazine claims, modern day crossbows, shoot...arrows, just slightly smaller and (possibly slightly shorter) than vertical bows shoot. NOT, large diameter, short, heavy, wooden shaft, with only two feathers, and a big heavy cast metal (of no real reference to any type metal today) tip.

So...in general, is this magazine (other than the above discussion) any good ?

Mike

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I've seen the same magazine in the supermarket that I frequent and flipped through it once and it contains very commercialized information. Nothing of real value. Your better off reading here, where you will learn more. Save your $10.00.

·
9,004 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Interesting that the term "bolt" seems to stick in your craw. LOL! Frankly, I am guilty of referring to them as bolts myself. It's just an old habit I guess. Due to the fact I hunted with a compound bow most of my life, I suppose I use the term just to differentiate between bow projectiles and XB projectiles. Technically, I do believe a "Bolt" is much shorter than what most of us are currently using. More like those pistol XB arrows. I also feel it's often times necessary to differentiate between projectiles for bows and XB's when shopping for parts/said projectiles just to make sure I'm getting parts/projectiles that are XB rated. While some standard compound bow arrows can probably be cut down to work, I'm no arrow engineer. Thus wall thickness, spine, and nocks need to be correct for XB application to avoid any potential safety disasters. This is just one stubborn man's POV on the situation...But I will try to not refer to them as "Bolts" on the forum any more. LOL! (y)

·
9,004 Posts
Stop … a hundred people on a NYC, Chicago or LA street and show them a 22" crossbow projectile and I'm betting 98 of them tell you that it's an arrow. The only people who are going to call it a bolt are the new to crossbows types who don't think for themselves. :)

·
4,764 Posts
I’ve seen the term “bolt” used for crossbow arrows most often from crossbow companies and from manufacturers of ”arrows” for crossbows, and from fletching gigs for crossbow arrows, ie, the Arizona EZ Fletch “Bolt“.
Wonder why the confusion? Not really.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Stop … a hundred people on a NYC, Chicago or LA street and show them a 22" crossbow projectile and I'm betting 98 of them tell you that it's an arrow. The only people who are going to call it a bolt are the new to crossbows types who don't think for themselves. :)
OUCH! :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

·
9,004 Posts
I’ve seen the term “bolt” used for crossbow arrows most often from crossbow companies and from manufacturers of ”arrows” for crossbows, and from fletching gigs for crossbow arrows, ie, the Arizona EZ Fletch “Bolt“.
Wonder why the confusion? Not really.
The idiot factor … I think these companies believe using "bolt" prevents confusion and returns of incorrectly purchased arrows. All part of the bottom line profit margin. Prevents lawsuits from morons buying vertical arrows by accident and shooting them out of crossbows. "Idiot-proofing" their market. Guess they assume that the tsunami of new crossbow inclusion buyers have a large contingent of buyers and owners incapable leafing passed the first picture of an arrow they see in a Cabelas catalog before clicking on a 500 spine arrow for their shiny new XYZ crossbows.

I think there's a certain shock factor in using "bolt" too. We all know how successful Rage & Ravin were by riding the shock wave marketing template.

·
977 Posts
First, I live in SoCal (about 30 miles east of L.A.). FAR away from most normal crossbow folks.
I walked into my local grocery store the other day, and as I walked past the magazine rack, I notice that there is a...crossbow...magazine. Cool, I pick it up and toss it into the cart.

I didn't notice at first as I was just doing a quick "skim" of the magazine, but...something caught my attention.

Let me say, that I, like some/many of you, believe that a "modern" crossbow, shoots "arrows", not bolts. I have a nice copy of a medieval crossbow. It shoots "bolts". There's very little similar to today's crossbow arrows, except that it's a straight shaft. Unlike a vertical bows arrows vs a crossbow arrow, where the only difference is a few thousands of an inch in...diameter, and possibly a little in length.

Back to the magazine. I've never seen it before, especially in a store in SoCal. As I start reading through it, I keep seeing references to "bolts". What the hell..!? Even in an article about, "best bargains", they reference that one crossbow that shoots arrows...RATHER than bolts. What are they smoken ?

Well, no matter what the magazine claims, modern day crossbows, shoot...arrows, just slightly smaller and (possibly slightly shorter) than vertical bows shoot. NOT, large diameter, short, heavy, wooden shaft, with only two feathers, and a big heavy cast metal (of no real reference to any type metal today) tip.

So...in general, is this magazine (other than the above discussion) any good ?

Mike
Lots of good information in the magazine. Be sure to check out the articles about shooting 3-D with your crossbow. I hear that guy is on his game 😉.

·
4,764 Posts
Wonder why the nomenclature differences? Look at the description of Crossbow Nation on the home screen . It’s on the right column.

·
11,417 Posts
The idiot factor … I think these companies believe using "bolt" prevents confusion and returns of incorrectly purchased arrows. All part of the bottom line profit margin. Prevents lawsuits from morons buying vertical arrows by accident and shooting them out of crossbows. "Idiot-proofing" their market. Guess they assume that the tsunami of new crossbow inclusion buyers have a large contingent of buyers and owners incapable leafing passed the first picture of an arrow they see in a Cabelas catalog before clicking on a 500 spine arrow for their shiny new XYZ crossbows.

I think there's a certain shock factor in using "bolt" too. We all know how successful Rage & Ravin were by riding the shock wave marketing template.
I contend that Ravin’s success is from their unique and highly innovative products that has already had other manufacturers including some of Ravin’s features in their newest designs........not from Ravin’s silly “rifle” ads.
As to the arrow vs bolt debate, call them what you want. My crossbows shoot arrows.

·
9,004 Posts
I contend that Ravin’s success is from their unique and highly innovative products that has already had other manufacturers including some of Ravin’s features in their newest designs........not from Ravin’s silly “rifle” ads.
As to the arrow vs bolt debate, call them what you want. My crossbows shoot arrows.
That's unlikely … The average Ravin buyer was not an experienced old salt crossbower wowed by the "innovation." Ravin buyers were a naïve rifleman sucked in by a clever sexy advertising campaign. Primarily the same as Rage broadhead buyers. It was about the marketing. Ravin crossbows have their pluses and minuses same as every other make and model out there. If they were so great everyone from the newbie to the old salt would be shooting them. They'd be as popular as Black Eagle Executioner arrows.

And why do so many of your Ravin posts read like an Informercial? :p

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Every manufacturer referred to them as bolts until very recently and some only changed that reference due to politics.
Bolt is a reference name, same as bullet. Rifles use bullets and shotguns use shells.
It's a stupid discussion. Just as stupid as the one that involves renaming genders.

I think the millennial thought process has infected and rotted some brains, across the board.
Museums have collections of bolts from the 100 year wars which measure up to 20" for hand held crossbows. Were those arrows?
No. They were bolts because they were fired from crossbows and made for crossbows.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
From my experience, a significant portion of Ravin's success is their marketing campaign. I get the inquiries all of the time, and it becomes apparent during the discussion how much the marketing influenced the persons interest in Ravin crossbows.

·
Vendor
1,617 Posts
Yeah you go ahead and stop 100 people in any of those cities for any reason and tell me how it works out for you.
:oops:

Then show them a picture of a weapon
:p:D:p:D:D:p

·
Vendor
1,617 Posts
From my experience, a significant portion of Ravin's success is their marketing campaign. I get the inquiries all of the time, and it becomes apparent during the discussion how much the marketing influenced the persons interest in Ravin crossbows.
I'm sorry folks but I have to say it, the average person is a follower who looks for someone to idolize

This is why nock out is so big and the new up and coming TAC company

You put one of the top pro competition archers or TV hunters pic on something then look out people have to have it

Ravin knew this and put their marketing plan together to do exactly what it did

Millions were spent on advertisements and i would bet the first two years Ravin was on the market they spent more on marketing than the 5 biggest archery manufactures put together

I also believe their marketing helped with changing word bolt to arrow

Nowhere on their site can you find the word bolt and i don't remember a single arrow buyer refer to ravin arrows as bolts

·
11,417 Posts
That's unlikely … The average Ravin buyer was not an experienced old salt crossbower wowed by the "innovation." Ravin buyers were a naïve rifleman sucked in by a clever sexy advertising campaign. Primarily the same as Rage broadhead buyers. It was about the marketing. Ravin crossbows have their pluses and minuses same as every other make and model out there. If they were so great everyone from the newbie to the old salt would be shooting them. They'd be as popular as Black Eagle Executioner arrows.

And why do so many of your Ravin posts read like an Informercial? :p
Oh the hatred:) Ravin has even TP following in their foot steps with its top of the line (most expensive) crossbow’s cocking system and cable system, not because of Ravin’s marketing program. I would also not be surprised if TP and others end up with copy cat Ravin Helicoil systems on their crossbows. No cam lean is a good thing on crossbows in the 400+ FPS range.
The Ravin R26 and 29 continue selling like hot cakes because they are great crossbows with unique features that work and ahead of the competition......and Ravins are not ugly 😊

·
9,004 Posts
Oh the adoration … and reverence.:p Helicoil is about the only thing I see as being innovative on the Ravin. You're right about it being a possible advance for the crossbow industry as a whole. The rest of the bow is just an amalgamation of exiting technology. :)

Reactions: Madrebel
1 - 20 of 37 Posts