Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i met Marty. Very nice gentleman. He made me a beautiful 2 color string for my Xcal 400 TD.
So I drove home to shoot it,well I install it set it up and cocked it.
Then my 2 younger grandchildren
Come running down to cellar yelling papy. So you know the rest of incident.
I hurry up and put it on my rest and pull the trigger with no arrow and down it went on dry fire. I destroyed the new serving and maybe the string.
Can’t believe I was so stupid but my mind was consuming what the kids were saying.

·
11,404 Posts
What a way to ruin your day! I’m sure Marty will take care of the string. Are your limbs ok?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I said it before, S#%t happens! It just happened to me and I will bet that there are many more out there that don’t want to admit it happened to them. I second what KTown said “Yes you are human like the rest of us”

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ran cotton all of limbs no splinters.
I’ve been leaving it cocked for past 4 hours to see.
I also shot it with factory string 5 times still dead on at 30?
That string only traveled one inch but with 325lbs of force.
I just can’t wrap my mind around what I did. Hope this isn’t normal for 70 years age.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
At least the dry fire saved you from going full bore down the rail .
that bow will be fine , the string however will not make it ,LOL.
chit happens Gordon , keep on trucking !!!

Reactions: KTownKiller

·
Registered
301 Posts
I am so grateful for the anti dry fire on my scorpyd. Tried to pull the trigger a few times without an arrow loaded when I first had it. Just to much distraction going on. Very easy to do.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
8,995 Posts
Every dryfire … I've witnessed has been the result of the guy being distracted. Saw an NRA instructor at a training class shoot a sled out of a crossbow one time after he was called away for a few seconds elsewhere. Without anti-dryfire mechanisms I seriously believe we'd ALL experience a dryfire eventually. I vaguely recall pulling the trigger on a cocked but not loaded crossbow a few years ago. When I think about how many times I find the safety "off" on my rifles and shotguns during the relentless periotic safety checks I do, there's little doubt that distractions are the bane of safety and agent of accidents. You're in the scope, click the safety off, five minute stare at an uncooperative target, couple targets moving around, cold hands, wind chilled, you stand down, shove your freezing hands in your pockets, forget the safety? Waterfowling with all hades breaking loose? Maybe only one in a hundred or even a thousand engagements, but it happens. It certainly isn't just you.

Thanks for sharing. Good reminder for all of us to stay vigilant about safety. And any distraction should send alarms off in our brains.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
I'm just seeing this Gordon... sorry to see and hear the news. It's not a problem, I can make you another one. I have tons of material.... I put that center serving on nice and tight so I'm sure the abrupt force just ripped it apart like nothing. Notice it didn't even unravel. I stretch it so tight around the string that it forms to it....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts