Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had my bow shop install Marty's strings and cables on my Swat XP. My bow shop stated the Strings and cables were perfect and no need to adjust anything to get the bow timed.Thank you Marty for your customer service and your attention to detail!!
Don

·
Registered
ScorpyD ACLEUS 460
3,652 Posts
Today I had my bow shop install Marty's strings and cables on my Swat XP. My bow shop stated the Strings and cables were perfect and no need to adjust anything to get the bow timed.Thank you Marty for your customer service and your attention to detail!!
Don
Marty is the man when it comes to all things associated with cables and strings.
When you buy from the best, you get the best! There's nobody in the industry
that custom produces strings and cables that are superior to Marty's. Finding
someone who can produce them even equal to his would be a major challenge,
but even if you could it wouldn't anywhere near Marty's prices. That makes Marty's
Custom Strings and cables a Win, Win!

·
11,716 Posts
Whensy ... gonna start maken Ravin strings??? :unsure: ;)

Reactions: Mudslinger

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,681 Posts
Thanks for the kudos...... I really appreciate you guys backing me up on my product...
Those Ravin strings are just to, on the edge of destruction for me... I don't know how else to word it but I think the loops need to be served also, that's the other thing....

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
I had Marty’s string and cables on when this happen. I’m sure it wasn’t the string and cable’s fault but I put the Rogue string and cables back on when Scorpyd sent me new limbs and cams.

IMG_1047.JPG

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am keeping my OEM String and cables as a back up in case I have a warranty issue. Love Marty's string and cables I will be buying one more set as a back up

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Thanks for the kudos...... I really appreciate you guys backing me up on my product...
Those Ravin strings are just to, on the edge of destruction for me... I don't know how else to word it but I think the loops need to be served also, that's the other thing....
Well deserved.

Reactions: Britt and Martymig

·
Registered
677 Posts
I had Marty’s string and cables on when this happen. I’m sure it wasn’t the string and cable’s fault but I put the Rogue string and cables back on when Scorpyd sent me new limbs and cams.

View attachment 201867
Guess I don't understand what you're saying...

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I had Marty’s string and cables on when this happen. I’m sure it wasn’t the string and cable’s fault but I put the Rogue string and cables back on when Scorpyd sent me new limbs and
View attachment 201867

I'd say the strings/cables had nutten to do with the limbs failure

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Guess I don't understand what you're saying...
If I had to clarify what I said I would say it the same exact way. Sorry.

I'd say the strings/cables had nutten to do with the limbs failure
That’s probably true. However, I remember him always saying how he stretches them really well when he builds them so I was thinking there might not be “any” stretch (or creep, not sure of the exact term) left to absorb the shock when the string and cams slams home.

I was under the impression there should be some stretch available in strings/cables but I could be wrong and probably am.

·
Registered
14,066 Posts
I think you could easily serve the loops on the cables if you were to leave a short (1/4" or so) unserved space so they could be fit through the pulley like the 2 cable design does. It would also make them easier to twist up when tuning them. As long as the cables have enough serving to wrap around the Helicoil pulley I don't see why it can't be done.

·
Registered
14,066 Posts
If I had to clarify what I said I would say it the same exact way. Sorry.

That’s probably true. However, I remember him always saying how he stretches them really well when he builds them so I was thinking there might not be “any” stretch (or creep, not sure of the exact term) left to absorb the shock when the string and cams slams home.

I was under the impression there should be some stretch available in strings/cables but I could be wrong and probably am.
What about it Marty. Any stretch available on your strings?
I have had them on my DS 380 and now my DS 420 for a couple of years and no problems at all.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
My opinion, one does not want any stretch in the cables or the bow string. Depending how they were
manufactured, some will stretch to start with, then that should be the end of it. All the stretching is doing
is throwing the crossbow out of tune, whether it be timing, or cam levelling. Axle to axle measurement is
just a guide line as any cam timing can change this.

Advancing cams by either: 1)adding equal 1/2 twists to the cables or 2)removing 1/2 twists from the bowstring
will allow more bow string to wrap around the cams, there by lessening the axle to axle measurement.

Installing a string and or string and cables that come in a wee bit on the short side can change cam timing and also
the suggested axle to axle measurement. It is better to have the bow string come in a bit on the short side than too
long.
On the bowstring that is going to be served in the arrow-latch area, one wants to put the bowstring under lots of tension,
then add a few twists before serving. Then add the serving as tight as possible. The reason for adding the twists before
serving that area, is once the bow string is served, one can not add or remove twists in that area.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
My opinion, one does not want any stretch in the cables or the bow string. Depending how they were
manufactured, some will stretch to start with, then that should be the end of it. All the stretching is doing
is throwing the crossbow out of tune, whether it be timing, or cam levelling. Axle to axle measurement is
just a guide line as any cam timing can change this.
I probably should have used the word “elasticity” instead of stretch, which seems like a more appropriate term.

If strings and cables were made of braided steel cables with no “elasticity” at all, would the limbs, cams, and riser take a beating or would there be zero issues?

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
My Snyper Pro 5.1 press can be set up for building or serving bow strings or cables.
One factory bowstring, I ended up removing the serving in the arrow latch area
after several shots where upon inspection was the cause for my top layer of
BCY .030 serving separation.
I added lots of tension, then reserved with a base layer. Next on went the top
layer of BCY .030 as tight as possible, but not quite as wide as the base layer.
This allowed me to add a wee dab of Gorilla Glue at the ends of all the servings
as added insurance against serving separation.
To date this bow string has slightly over 11,000 shots with slightly over 5,000
shots since the top layer of BCY .030 was last reserved in the latch area.

All my crossbow strings now get the factory layer removed in the arrow latch area
and installed properly. No more serving separation.

For lubrication I am using the Trident Silicone Grease.

To give one an idea of how many shots I have been shooting: an average of 84
to 96 per day with the last three days testing out a new crossbow riser was 120
shots per day with 1006 shots in less than a week and a 1/2 of target shooting.
I shoot 12 shots before retrieving my arrows.

All my crossbows are shot when mounted in a high quality rifle jig with the crank
cocking devices. This is why I can shoot so many shots in a day as compared to
using a rope cocker where the crossbow would have to be removed, cocked and
realigned in the rifle jig. This still involves a lot of standing up to cock and load and
then sitting down to shoot.
Using a crank cocking device the crossbow is not only cocked much easier but
more accurate than a rope cocker.

Take care.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
If the bow string and cables were made out of braided steel they would not last very long due to
wrapping and unwrapping around the cams causing too much flex.
I had an earlier model vertical bow with the steel cable system that appeared to be vinyl covered.
It was not long be for the vinyl covering started to break up, then good bye to the steel cable system.
The vertical bows do not have the draw weight that crossbows have.

Take care.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts