Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i am in europe and want buy excalibur crossbow ( still compound shooter) looking on matrix g 340, i read a lot on excalibur crossbow and watch videos but not so many about g340.. who own one? any problems with limb cracking, syntetic arrow rail?

·
Registered
Axe Micro/Matrix Hybrid
299 Posts
Not herd of any concerns with limbs and the synthetic rail is well poven with zero concerns ,,,,,some have mentioned that they may have noticed when compared to the GRZ 2 slight vibration when shot , but no one as too my knowledge figured its a big deal

Overall sounds like no negative comments with anyone that has one .
Appears to have a lot of very happy owners especially regards accuracy and reliability .....

·
Registered
Backinda woods of Maine
1,509 Posts
I have 2 SMF bows an Ibex and an Axiom. Both great bows. I asked around about em too before I got the first one. And the Matrix series limbs have proven to be quite durable.
Also the Excalibur Crossbow warranty is the best in the business.
Good luck and take care
Oncebitten

·
Registered
43 Posts
For 3D and fun-shooting the G340, way easier to cock, reliable, same or slightly better speed, easier to center serving. The only advantage of the Mag340 is a 5 inch narrower bow.
My 2 cents

·
Registered
135 Posts
For 3D and fun-shooting the G340, way easier to cock, reliable, same or slightly better speed, easier to center serving. The only advantage of the Mag340 is a 5 inch narrower bow.
My 2 cents
You wrong there mate. Mag is also smaller, therefore much better handling while shooting freehand. I have BD330, friends gave me chance to try out their mag340. And i gotta say, smaller is better.

·
4,182 Posts
You wrong there mate. Mag is also smaller, therefore much better handling while shooting freehand. I have BD330, friends gave me chance to try out their mag340. And i gotta say, smaller is better.
What you are stating is subjective, and your individual preference. It doesn’t necessarily apply to other shooters. Not saying the Micro may not feel/hold better for some. It’s simply not going to be true for everyone. The OP should handle and aim both choices to see for himself.

·
Registered
935 Posts
A Matrix G340 is on the way (actually, should already have arrived ...).
I was sent a Mag340 erraneously first, tried it, and sent it back.
The Micro Mag340 is not just smaller, it has also smaller (shorter) limbs wich are under more stress and thus tend to fail earlier than the longer G340 limbs.
But more inportant for me, the Micro Mag340 has a 270 lbs draw weight with a shorter powerstroke (13"), compared to 230 lbs and 15.5". It was almost impossible for me to cock it with a cocking rope.
Another, less important factor for me - the mainframe is made of polymer, instead of aluminium for the Micro Mag340.

Since they achieve the same speed (presumably with the same Excalibur reference arrow), you can assume the same KE.
BTW, if I got this right, the G340 is a slightly "improved" version of the GRZ 2, which is physically almost identical, but shorter powerstroke and thus less draw weight. Deciding factor was the "Dead Zone" scope for me, which only comes with the faster G340.

·
Registered
935 Posts
A Matrix G340 is on the way (actually, should already have arrived ...).
It was already awaiting me at home, when I can from work ... :)
Assembly was easy, didn't need the manual.
And cocking it was a breeze, no comparison to the Micro Mag340.
I think this can't be explained by the DW difference.

Only two things I don't like.
First, it is relatively loud. But I expected that, and there are remedies.
Second, it came with a neon-yellow string. Really ... :rolleyes:

As a side note, the scope brackets were not mounted correctly.
Meaning the distance was such that both of the long screws to tighten it on the weaver rail did not fit in a notch at the same time. And the scope was canted. Not sure if I can expect such things to fit for a crossbow in the 500...600 €/$ bracket ...
And as a second side note, the 3 quill arrows came with less than +-0.3 gn weight difference. Better than the arrows for the Micro Mag, which had about +-1 gn.
Not that it matters, I intend to shoot it with >400gn anyway.

·
Registered
Axe Micro/Matrix Hybrid
299 Posts
It was already awaiting me at home, when I can from work ... :)
Assembly was easy, didn't need the manual.
And cocking it was a breeze, no comparison to the Micro Mag340.
I think this can't be explained by the DW difference.

Only two things I don't like.
First, it is relatively loud. But I expected that, and there are remedies.
Second, it came with a neon-yellow string. Really ... :rolleyes:

As a side note, the scope brackets were not mounted correctly.
Meaning the distance was such that both of the long screws to tighten it on the weaver rail did not fit in a notch at the same time. And the scope was canted. Not sure if I can expect such things to fit for a crossbow in the 500...600 €/$ bracket ...
And as a second side note, the 3 quill arrows came with less than +-0.3 gn weight difference. Better than the arrows for the Micro Mag, which had about +-1 gn.
Not that it matters, I intend to shoot it with >400gn anyway.
I've a Dead Zone originally on my Axe 340 ,it was just in a box seperate to the crossbow ,,,,once I put it together everything fitted perfect ,,,,,yes the glass is not top notch , but honestly out of all the reticles I have on the four scopes I have its my favorite ,,,dead accurate ,,,,dead simple ,,,,,,and having shot both my Axe 340 and a G340 ,,,,,as far as cocking the G340 is a breaze towards the Axe ,,,,,my choice would be the G340 for sure if cocking was a issue ,

·
Registered
43 Posts
Congrats in the M340!
I shot my Quills with the 145gn or 160gn Bullet-Tips from Bogensportwelt.de, 395-410gn overall. With my M380 I shoot BE Zombie-slayer with the same tips @450gn overall. Every combination is/was very accurate.👍
Eventually I would consider R.E.D.S.

·
Registered
Backinda woods of Maine
1,509 Posts
I've a Dead Zone originally on my Axe 340 ,it was just in a box seperate to the crossbow ,,,,once I put it together everything fitted perfect ,,,,,yes the glass is not too notch , but honestly out of all the reticles I have on the four scopes I have its my favorite ,,,dead accurate ,,,,dead simple ,,,,,,and having shot both my Axe 340 and a G340 ,,,,,as far as cocking the G340 is a breaze towards the Axe ,,,,,my choice would be the G340 for sure if cocking was a issue ,
I have a few Dead Zone scopes and really like that simple reticle. It also makes it easier for my children when they are shooting. I have a Tact 100 on my BD400 and with all those dots its easy to use the wrong one!
Take care
Oncebitten

·
Registered
935 Posts
Measured the speed with realistic arrows today - 320 fps with 405 gn, and 322 fps with 400 gn.
Which is consistent with the 92 ft-lbf.

As side note, the G340 has no automatic safety (the more expensive Mag340 neither).
Not sure why not, but this is not a thing that bothers me.
Just flip the switch when the string locks into the trigger mechanism.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Measured the speed with realistic arrows today - 320 fps with 405 gn, and 322 fps with 400 gn.

As side note, the G340 has no automatic safety (the more expensive Mag340 neither).
Unless someone else is familiar with a model, I don't recall of any excalibur having an automatic safety unless the new Twinstrike does but not sure on that either, it has something referred to as cease-fire.

Reactions: JOE PA

·
Registered
Axe Micro/Matrix Hybrid
299 Posts
I prefer the manual safety over the auto ones as I know it's safe as I hit the button every time before I take off the rope cocker ,,, and not assume the auto did it's job ....

Sounds like intimal impressions are good with that G340

Thinking maybe my next project will be a G340 🤔🤔🤔

·
Registered
Axe Micro/Matrix Hybrid
299 Posts
I've no doubt that crossbow will be very reliable and accurate for you ....

Follow up and let us all know how you like it long term regards accuracy / reliability and overall thoughts

I think a good review of the G340 is way over due ,,,,

·
Registered
935 Posts
Unless someone else is familiar with a model, I don't recall of any excalibur having an automatic safety unless the new Twinstrike does but not sure on that either, it has something referred to as cease-fire.
I heard so as well, but I suppose no one here is interested in my unfounded speculations ...
I prefer the manual safety over the auto ones as I know it's safe as I hit the button every time before I take off the rope cocker ,,, and not assume the auto did it's job ....
There is something to it.
I had seen a Death by Bunjie video, where he suggests to practice regularly, and make switching the safety switch a habit.

One might suppose that Excalibur crossbows are mostly bought by grown-ups, else there would be more reports about accidents. That is speculation, though ...

·
4,182 Posts
Excals have never, to my knowledge, had auto safeties. It’s something you just get used to. I have a pure Middleton (355 SS), and a hybrid with a DTM sniper trigger, with auto safeties. With both, I always still check the safety by pushing down on the lever to be sure. My Scorpyd DS also has a manual safety. I admit it took some time to get into the habit of sliding the safety back before I take off the cocking sled. Know your weapon, I suppose.

·
Registered
935 Posts
What I find annoying about most auto safety crossbows, you need to set them in "Fire" position, or the cocking mechanism does not engage. From a user's perspective, this is not at all intuitive.
Not only once I had to let down the string, manually disable the safety, and cock again with such crossbows.

·
Registered
135 Posts

MAG340 comes with anti dry fire from the box. This can be very usefull. I managed to dryfire (and get saved by ADF) maybe 3 times in 3 years

1 - 20 of 25 Posts