Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Has anyone tested any of the mechanical broad heads on crossbows shooting 400+ fps?

I have a crossbow shooting at 415fps and I wanted to verify the broad heads wouldn’t open in flight. I tested a NAP Killzone, and a Rage, both being rated for high speed crossbows.

i placed an 8x11 paper 6 inches in front of 3 cardboard boxs, followed by a broad head target, and followed again by a bag target.

The paper was used to verify that they stayed closed in flight.

Both the NAP and Rage passed and didn’t open in flight, but neither one opened thru 3 sides of 1/4 inch card board. Neither opened until they hit the broad head target.

Now I’m go concerned as to weather deer hair and hide will be enough to open them.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
My hypodermics work well on both deer and turkeys out of a bow that shoots a tad over 400 fps and another at 435 fps. I do put a dental band on mine for extra protection.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The crossbow collar Hypodermics work well from 385 and up to 440 for me so far. I haven't had one open in flight or fail to open as of yet.

Swhackers hold their own also from my testing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m satisfied the Rage shot collar keeps the broadhead closed, I’m more concerned about them opening. I just watched a u-tube video of a guy shooting the same Rage using a Ten Point crossbow thru a broadhead target and two broadheads went thru the target without opening.

·
10,163 Posts
For what … it's worth, we cut an unopened Rage out of a dead deer two years ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Shooting a Ravin R26 with rage 100gr hypodermics. Fly straight and opened perfectly in the buck I killed last year (no collar or dental bands used).

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
He was using the red collars and they did have a problem with them opening so I never used one even though I have some. I only use the black collars and a dental band problem free even at 435 fps. I know that several of the guys using the red bands were cutting the grooves deeper using a razor blade before using them.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Truglo mech X 4 blade are rear opening. The greater the force of launch,the tighter they are held closed until impact.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I took this doe from high up in a white oak last December. The shot was angled down maybe near 45 degree angle from the rear of the doe as she passed from behind me right to left.
Looking at the entry and exit wounds it did a very good job coming out of my Ripper 415 crossbow.
Experienced using NAP Spitfire 3 blades for 20 years so I will stay with them.

20191226_093107.jpg

20191226_091544.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took this doe from high up in a white oak last December. The shot was angled down maybe near 45 degree angle from the rear of the doe as she passed from behind me right to left.
Looking at the entry and exit wounds it did a very good job coming out of my Ripper 415 crossbow.
Experienced using NAP Spitfire 3 blades for 20 years so I will stay with them.

View attachment 181109

View attachment 181108
Are you using the newer crossbow version of the Spitfire? They increased the tension mechanism for high speed crossbows to keep them closed in flight.
Thats one of the issues with these newer high speed crossbows. Crossbow manufacturers are upgrading crossbow designs faster than the Scope and broad head manufacturers.
If you increase the retention mechanism of a mechanical broad head to keep it closed during flight, one would have to expect it will take more resistance to force it open.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Been shooting Swat A4’s & now X Mags for 4 years. They are a unique 4 blade expandable and provide massive holes with a lot of blood and result in short Tracking jobs. They really do “Drain Your Game”!! I was always a Broad Head Junkie in the past but no more. This is certainly one of the best expandable Broad heads out there and I highly recommend them. As an added bonus they are veteran owned with veteran employees.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have great luck with 125-150 gr Swhackers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Are you using the newer crossbow version of the Spitfire? They increased the tension mechanism for high speed crossbows to keep them closed in flight.
Thats one of the issues with these newer high speed crossbows. Crossbow manufacturers are upgrading crossbow designs faster than the Scope and broad head manufacturers.
If you increase the retention mechanism of a mechanical broad head to keep it closed during flight, one would have to expect it will take more resistance to force it open.
The NAP Spitfire 3 blade design is the original Spitfire model that I started using in 2000. They make a Spitfire Max that has a different nip. The other designs have their own name to differ them from the Spitfire.
For example I have a package of Double Cross which are made for 400 fps compound bows that I got on clearance to try out.

Since you are concerned about the blade deploying on contact I suggest you get some leather or deer hide this fall for use in test.

Here is a screen shot of the one I use currently.

Reactions: Iron Duke

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have been using NAP Sling blade crossbow broad heads and never had any issue with them flying like the field points or not opening. NAP makes the Tenpoint center punch broad head and the sling blade is essentially the same and cheaper than the Tenpoint center punch.I am shooting them with in the Vapor RS470 at around 440 ft/sec. Prior to that I was using the NAP Killzone which also worked very well. Personally I will only use the NAP broadheads, but that is just from my experience.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Been using the nap xbow spitfire. No problem , just like the look of and the reviews including Sews who I trust,so I bought truglo 4 blade mech X for this year. He has tested them out of his Aculeus. 460 fps. Not giving the spitfires away in case I need them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts