Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Season is fast approaching and I need some recommendations. I have a Barnett shooting 320fps with Black Eagle arrows. I am torn between slick trick mag 100gr, NAP spitfire, Nap Killzone, Double cross or Spitfire max. I hunt very small properties so from what I have read is the mechanicals make a larger wound=more blood and less tracking. I did some research on here and saw NAP is now china made and not what it used to be. Please recommend me a solid head, either mechanical or fixed.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I will go with slick tricks all day long. I shoot slick trick standard 100's with crossbow approx. 340fps. With nine years of use and many deer shot, I have not lost one deer. When I started with crossbows, I looked at the spitfires, tried them, and classified them as junk. Now that is my personal opinion. 10 different crossbow hunters will probably have 10 different opinions

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've used the Truglo 4 blade expandables for 2 seasons and have quit wondering about trying a different head.

Great in flight, they impact like my field points and they provide excellent blood trails.

All for cheaper than most broadheads.

I used Slick Trick magnums when I vertical hunted, but couldn't get them flying perfect out of my Scorpyd.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
All sounds like good broadheads. IMO....POI is most important! Pick the one youre most confident in. Good luck.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Hello all,

Season is fast approaching and I need some recommendations. I have a Barnett shooting 320fps with Black Eagle arrows. I am torn between slick trick mag 100gr, NAP spitfire, Nap Killzone, Double cross or Spitfire max. I hunt very small properties so from what I have read is the mechanicals make a larger wound=more blood and less tracking. I did some research on here and saw NAP is now china made and not what it used to be. Please recommend me a solid head, either mechanical or fixed.
There is a reason why Spitfire are popular. Been using them 20 years

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
377 Posts
I opted for the TruGlo Titanium X 4 blade, like many others here. Not terribly expensive and I have yet to hear/read more than a few complaints. The OP stated that NAP spitfires were "junk", so to each they're own I suppose. I have rarely heard anyone refer to the pre-over seas Spitfires as "junk". They are one of the most popular and successful heads of recent times.

·
Registered
184 Posts
NAP Spitfire is my choice of the ones you listed. They aren't made in China either. At least the 2 packs I got last week weren't they are made in Taiwan says so right in the package. Made in Taiwan is better than China. The 6 heads are sharp, pointy, weigh consistent, and spin true I don't see the problem. At 19.99 for 3 I don't think I did bad on them. We will see how they shoot when my new Crossbow gets here.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
... We will see how they shoot when my new Crossbow gets here.
C'mon CarJunkieLS1, you gotta tell us what xbow you are getting!
BTW, love the LS1 engines.
All aluminum and easy to beef up but I digress...

Reactions: CarJunkieLS1

·
Registered
377 Posts
NAP Spitfire is my choice of the ones you listed. They aren't made in China either. At least the 2 packs I got last week weren't they are made in Taiwan says so right in the package. Made in Taiwan is better than China. The 6 heads are sharp, pointy, weigh consistent, and spin true I don't see the problem. At 19.99 for 3 I don't think I did bad on them. We will see how they shoot when my new Crossbow gets here.
The recent complaints on the Spitfires made in Taiwan are mostly fit and finish issues, from what I have read. Unless you have some older ones to compare, you may not even know. Would be interesting if someone had both old and new ones, and could report back on any differences they might notice in materials and fit/finish. I believe I saw Iron Duke say he scrapped using them because it was a PITA to replace the blades as compared to years past. Something about the blade retention clips/mechanism being very difficult to work with.

·
Registered
184 Posts
C'mon CarJunkieLS1, you gotta tell us what xbow you are getting!
BTW, love the LS1 engines.
All aluminum and easy to beef up but I digress...
I'm getting a Centerpoint CP400 I should have it before next weekend. And I agree with you the LS series is the best modern engine ever made. I've actually got a Ls6 now in my Z06 Corvette. Basically the exact same engine though.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I didn't vote, because I'm one who doesn't like the Slick Trick Magnum, I prefer the Viper trick, or the standard Slick Trick. The reason is both these heads in 100 and 125 wait we'll shoot as accurate as any fieldpointe I've shot. They also shoot to the same exact point of impact with any bow I've used them in from 320 ft per second to 430 feet per second. I prefer no more gadgets or moving parts the necessary to do the job.

Saying that, until about 6 years ago I used nothing but nap Spitfires with 100% success. Till I shot them in a crossbow. I was shooting 350 feet per second, and wounded a deer when they opened prematurely, because I didn't band them. Some Mechanicals might never need bands, but everyone will need to transition to a cutting format in order to work. I choose a fixed blade that requires only one thing, to be pointed in the right direction before it gets there, slick tricks have worked 100% for me, for anyting up to 153 in Bucks while deer hunting. When they fail I'll be sure and report it.

I also will remind you the bigger the cut, the more power needed to do the same job, and every mechanical will require more energy to do the same penetration a fixed blade needs. I suggest if you use any mechanical take precautions to make certain they do not open prematurely, which will make it hard to practice with what you hunt with, and be certain if you do band or do anything to help contain the blades, that they still open when they get to your Quarry. Best of luck with whatever you go with!

·
Registered
418 Posts
JMHO; Look up SEW's thread on Tru Glo Titanium X......full of great info......just say'n...
Going with Truglo Titanium X 4 blade for crossbow this year!
Look (search) for posts with "entrance" and "exit" wounds. Note the BH that made them and THE POI. I shoot backyards of suburban lots for herd control and rely on Ramcats 125 gr.
Ramcat 125 fixed filled a new freezer just for venison last year. Massive entry & exit wounds & a blood trail like a red rope. Just experimenting with mechanicals this year..

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
I have 3 spitfires my son gave me but Ive never even shot them. I just have too many broadheads an 3 isn't enough to get me started. I do like the looks of the spitfires though and have always read great reviews about them. Out of your choices that would probably be my pick.

·
Registered
418 Posts
JMHO; Look up SEW's thread on Tru Glo Titanium X......full of great info......just say'n...
Yeah, SEW convinced me to go with the TG tit x. Shot a doe early yesterday morning and have never seen such an internal mess since I shot a deer last year with my 30-06! TG doesn't offer a practice tip but the blades are replaceable. I have another pack coming.
Signed,
One in the freezer!

Reactions: SEW

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey, if you can't decide between fixed or mechanical, go hybrid. I'm using them with excellent results. Fly like a target point. I use the Muzzy with a trocar point. I'm just as likely see a pig and that trocar is stout.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts