Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrows are custom made by FD. I have tried 125 grain 2 blade Swhackers and had them timed and they won't hit even close to the same spot. Any recommendations for mechanicals? I have 100 grain Swat Juggernauts that I use for my Scorpyd and they are spot on. With these 19 inch arrows and lighted nocks, will 100 grain work? Couple buddies are using 125 G5 mega meats and have had issues with blades not opening. Running out of options for 125 broadhead. The weights that come with swat broadheads cause my broadhead to wobble when spin testing. Love the cut on Swhackers, just can't seem to get them dialed in where I would hunt with them.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Arrows are custom made by FD. I have tried 125 grain 2 blade Swhackers and had them timed and they won't hit even close to the same spot. Any recommendations for mechanicals? I have 100 grain Swat Juggernauts that I use for my Scorpyd and they are spot on. With these 19 inch arrows and lighted nocks, will 100 grain work? Couple buddies are using 125 G5 mega meats and have had issues with blades not opening. Running out of options for 125 broadhead. The weights that come with swat broadheads cause my broadhead to wobble when spin testing. Love the cut on Swhackers, just can't seem to get them dialed in where I would hunt with them.
I'd look at the Sevr line; very good feedback on them and I have had success as well. If your Swhackers are way off from FP's, then I would say that you definitely have a bow tuning issue. Most likely with custom arrows, it's not them as I'm sure FD would have spine aligned and checked inserts.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have actually only used the red testing head. Spin tested just great but off a bench rest can't get 3 shots close to each other. These are indexed and spline matched arrows. Questioning going with 125 grain field tip and then see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

·
101 Posts
Sevr Robusto flies great and works well. I’m using it in one of my Scorpyds and don’t intend to switch. I’m gonna try Rage Trypan 150s in the other bow just to see how they work but I doubt they’ll beat the Sevr.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
So, let me make sure I understand correctly. You have 1 Swhacker practice head. You screw it on arrow #1 and shoot it. Then you screw it on arrow #2 and shoot it again. Then do same thing for arrow #3. And, the 3 shots are not grouping. Correct?

If correct, what happens when you screw the PH onto arrow #1 and shoot it 3 times? Does it make a tight group pattern? If so, then it probably is an issue with the arrows. If the 3 shots with the same arrow and broadhead results in a bad group pattern, then it probably is a different issue such as a scope issue, fletching contact issue, or something else.

Also, to rule out the practice head being the culprit, try shooting one of the actual broadheads with a couple of wraps of black electrical tape on it to keep the blades from deploying when shot.

Ps. I wouldn't think that a 19" arrow would have a problem with weak spine from a 125gr BH.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15,642 Posts
I can't help but wonder if you are under spined using the Dragon Claws. Shoot the same head using a Zombie Slayer if you have one on hand and see if it makes any difference. As for your question yes a 100 grain should work fine if the bow likes them. I about quit shooting any other weigh from my Scorpyd DS 420 or Ravin R20. They both like 100 grain heads.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Sevr Robusto flies great and works well. I’m using it in one of my Scorpyds and don’t intend to switch. I’m gonna try Rage Trypan 150s in the other bow just to see how they work but I doubt they’ll beat the Sevr.
I shot both last year and killed 6. The Trypan 150 will put a bigger hole in the deer over the Sevr Robusto. Both killed all the deer, but the Trypans had better blood trails even though I watched all but one fall. I believe it is due to the rotating blades on the Sevr, which really aren't needed out of Xbows. I spoke to the guys at Sevr around making a version that don't rotate, so customers can choose. I even busted the steel ferrule on a shoulder hit. The Sevr guys replaced it and said they had never seen a Robusto head break; the blades were also mangled, but the Trypans almost always have bent blades on hits. I like the practice factor on the Sevr.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shooting the same arrow with practice head shooting three different times, three different poi. Will try an actual broadhead tomorrow and see where we are at. Just ordered some Sevr Robusto 150s. Thanks all. Also in this effort is using the Oracle X and getting it all sighted in.

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
The DC shafts shoot accurate out to 100 through my XR with 125 field points. With having a NEW bow and optic you may want to eliminate the issue starting with the basics. Take arrow 1 with a 125 field point and shoot it at 20, 40. 60 and 80. Do you hit the same POA to POI? Take arrow 2 and do the same. You now only have two variables; arrow or optic (three, but the third is you). IF you have another optic then I would suggest mounting it and proving or disproving the optic being that it is new to you and hasn't been proven yet on your bow. I shoot the Swhacker two blade 125's out of the exact same bow, exact same arrow build and when timed they shoot to 80 yards with a 1 to 1-1/4" group. I know the guy that built the arrows you have and know he shot them all to 50 yards before shipping. I suggest checking the optics.
Good Luck with your diagnoses.

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
Good point FD on the optics. Bow is new, scope is new, arrows are new. Will run through your testing strategy with a different optic. Will let you know. Thank you.
I know some members did have initial issues with the oracle. TXRDX GUY is extremely familiar with the optic. I am not.
I just mounted a BDX 3X10 on my XR and it's shooting lights out with your exact setup. I know member Toker had massive issues and he sent his back to Burris then returned it to the retailer. With some simple diagnostics you will figure it out in short order.
Good luck Loren and have a terrific Thanksgiving. You have my number if I can help;)

Reactions: Mathew57

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have actually only used the red testing head. Spin tested just great but off a bench rest can't get 3 shots close to each other. These are indexed and spline matched arrows. Questioning going with 125 grain field tip and then see what happens. Thanks for the tip.
I would toss the practice head & try using the real deal before reaching a final conclusion. I've heard Grim Reaper practice heads are useless, too. It's important to know the impact point of the actual broadheads. The last thing you need is field points, practice heads, and actual heads having different impact points.

I would never rely on the results of a practice head for any broadhead.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I would toss the practice head & try using the real deal before reaching a final conclusion. I've heard Grim Reaper practice heads are useless, too. It's important to know the impact point of the actual broadheads. The last thing you need is field points, practice heads, and actual heads having different impact points.

I would never rely on the results of a practice head for any broadhead.
Every broadhead I shoot I waste one ensuring that its dialed in. Had problems a couple years a go with practice head. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know some members did have initial issues with the oracle. TXRDX GUY is extremely familiar with the optic. I am not.
I just mounted a BDX 3X10 on my XR and it's shooting lights out with your exact setup. I know member Toker had massive issues and he sent his back to Burris then returned it to the retailer. With some simple diagnostics you will figure it out in short order.
Good luck Loren and have a terrific Thanksgiving. You have my number if I can help;)
FD
Is it the bdx3 or bdx6 3x10? Original bdx or bdx 2.0? Going to install the bdx tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Every broadhead I shoot I waste one ensuring that its dialed in. Had problems a couple years a go with practice head. Thanks.
With the Swhackers you won't be wasting a head. Like was mentioned before, 2 wraps of electrical tape keeps the blades closed on the target. Pick the arrows your going to use, screw on the heads and leave them there. There is no harm in frequent practice with this setup. It's so easy with Swhackers that I have almost no use for field points anymore.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts