Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
With the Swhackers you won't be wasting a head. Like was mentioned before, 2 wraps of electrical tape keeps the blades closed on the target. Pick the arrows your going to use, screw on the heads and leave them there. There is no harm in frequent practice with this setup. It's so easy with Swhackers that I have almost no use for field points anymore.
Yep, Tape lasts 2-3 shots on my setup. Then you have to reapply. Once it comes open the blades are dulled. Have to sharpen or replace.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't shoot mechanical broadheads, but I would probably approach this the same.

I wouldn't shoot an arrow/broadhead combination at a deer that hasn't been tested together first. I shoot my broadhead ferrules with dull straight blades. Once I am super confident in them, I put new blades (or sharpened one) in that ferrule & arrow set up. I am not slinging an arrow/broadhead combination that hasn't been tested this way first, and It obviously needs razor sharp blades afterwards.

I don't care for broadheads that have screws, spring, or rubber bands, but that's just personal preference.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have been shooting swat broadheads for four years now and always waste a new broadhead to ensure the broadhead is accurate. Trust but verify. My swat practice head is the same deal, doesn't fly like my broadheads. I always spin test my arrows and broadheads as well. Never been impressed with practice heads.

·
Registered
832 Posts
You have only verified that one broadhead is accurate, the one you wasted.

If you can't trust the practice head to shoot the same, and you shouldn't, why would you trust that each head in same package shoot the same? Spin testing is great, but Schrodinger's cat...

I get that there are broadheads out there that are "one and done", but I wouldn't use em. Every arrow/point combo tested before you launch it at an animal. Make the right choices and it's so easy to do, there's no reason not to.

How many times do we see a newcomer show up with a story of "I don't understand how I missed", only to find out that they were shooting heads that they never tested because "shoots like a field point". You have to test your gear.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
If it wasn't that I now use 100 grain Swat Xmags I would still be using 125 grain crossbow rated razor tip grim reaper. They fly great and work every time. They are 1 1/2" cut 3 blade but are 1 and done

·
Registered
992 Posts
If it wasn't that I now use 100 grain Swat Xmags I would still be using 125 grain crossbow rated razor tip grim reaper. They fly great and work every time. They are 1 1/2" cut 3 blade but are 1 and done
So why did ya switch if they work every time😛. I know, it’s an affliction, it never ends🙂

21 - 31 of 31 Posts