Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you older guys that were at one time traditional long bow and recurve fanatics as I was: As crossbow shooting sports and hunting grows (and surely will :) if a medieval version crossbow for hunting and shooting would be readily available with beatuful wood stocks, shooting wood arrows with NO sights, would you be interested in that segment of the sport? I'm thinking the "fun factor" would be awesome with these true traditional look alikes and for some folks it might end up the only crossbows they hunt with. Again, this question is mainly aimed at guys that shot and hunted with long bows and vertical recurves rather than compounds and all the gadgets that go with them.

Attachments

·
Banned
258 Posts
Have been in archery since 1955,every thing from long bows to compounds.
been shooting crossbows for two years now,and like the curve,feels like
settleing to the past a little!Would like to try one of Daves bows on a deer
or turkey they look like they would be a cool way to hunt.Compounds are
okey just feels like your into the bow more with a recurve!:)

·
Banned
364 Posts
You betcha!! I'm on David's wait list for a hunting Medieval. I hunting for several years with a traditional bow that I handmade from osage orangem backed with whitetail sinew. Made my own arrows from trees and hammered my broadheads from old wagon wheel steel plus also napped a few. I think hunting with a replica of a medeival crosasbow would be great!!

·
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roughly

175 lbs.

OK guys, keep those thoughts and opinions coming:)

·
1,222 Posts
My target version is pretty cool too.

Not enough power to shoot anything but cats and dogs...(kidding!)...but it is interesting to shoot.

Mike

·
607 Posts
Hi.

There is a market for these period bows and has been for a while. There is several well established places on the net that have nice sites. You may buy one ready made or in kit form very reasonably, or just buy the parts you want and make your own. A quick goog search will help you find one closer to where you live, or who has the one you like for whatever reason.

Our friend at Wyvern is very knowledgeable about them if you require more expertise. For a cool site in target medievel crossbows, with some wicked pics and cool stuff:

www.thecrossbowmansden.com

Robin is ill these days and cant answer emails at this time, but well worth the website visit. Hope that helps you with what you need to know.

Im sure if one were to assemble and finish these kits, there would be a fairly steady market. Then there are other sites where you can score some nice wood blanks made for rifles and crossbows. Lot of help out there.

·
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lightfoot

I tried Watson over a year ago with no response. I'm not begging anyone to build a crossbow for me and I'm too far "gone" to take on another project. I've been in touch with David and he's so busy he has no time for building crossbows either. I agree that if they were available there would be buyers, especially now that crossbow hunting and shooting is rapidly growing.

Attachments

·
786 Posts
The simplicity of it all.........very cool. I recurve hunt as well, and that is just once really beautiful weapon.

·
Banned
258 Posts
Have you heard how Robin is doing lately heard he was sick
did not hear the extent of it.

·
9,008 Posts
Not in a lifetime That whole "Stickbow" type world leaves me completely cold. Medieval crossbows strike me as in the sub-species. I guess I'm a control freak, for the more control I have making an arrow go where I want it to go ... the better I feel about it. I have zero interest in spraying arrows all around Hades half acre at 40 yards when I have a bow that can Robinhood them all day. I don't even like LOOKING at Stickbows. Heck ... I hold up a Cross when I see one getting too close to me. I'll cross the parking lot to avoid them at 3D shoots. :D The other thing about them ... the owners are nuts ... whooping & hollerren all the way around the 3D course like a Mountain Man's Jamboree in the 1800's. :) They're having such a good time that I can't even get mad when I send an arrow up in the air like a SAM missile with one of their unexpected vocal eruptions as I release. :thumbsup:

·
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you tried Prozac?

Man! I hope I don't catch what you have:p I love all aspects of archery and bowhunting. Killed the hell out of deer for years with long bows and recurves. Nothing matches an arrow in flight in my opinion but that's just my weird way of amusing myself:p So you never would have been into archery without wheels, cams, bubble sights, mechanical triggers, stabilizers and micro adhjustable sights? Good thing you were not an Indian, you would have starved to death.;)

1964 - Sitka deer taken with a 48 lb Bear Magnum recurve, wooden arrows and Bear Razorhead:

Attachments

·
786 Posts
Wow, interesting.......to each his own I guess...

Moon, that is one serious trophy. How many arrows did you have to spray around before you hit him??! ;)

·
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just one

at 5 steps...............................he was running...seriously. Hard to believe that was 45 years ago.

I was so nervous I borrowed a cigarette and I did not even smoke and still don't :)

·
9,008 Posts
Moon said:
Man! I hope I don't catch what you have:p I love all aspects of archery and bowhunting. Killed the hell out of deer for years with long bows and recurves. Nothing matches an arrow in flight in my opinion but that's just my weird way of amusing myself:p So you never would have been into archery without wheels, cams, bubble sights, mechanical triggers, stabilizers and micro adhjustable sights? Good thing you were not an Indian, you would have starved to death.:hurray:

1964 - Sitka deer taken with a 48 lb Bear Magnum recurve, wooden arrows and Bear Razorhead:
I had a Bear "Grizzly"??? recurve ... although it might have been a Kodiak (that name rings a bell) As soon as Bear came out with that wheeled bow, I bought that. That ancient recurve kicked around my work shop for decades. I kept it around to remind me to be humble ... and grateful for Hoyt, Mathews & Bowtech. :D A few years ago I gave it to my stickbow hunting goomba. He grabbed it and scurried off to his car with it before coming back to thank me. Like I gave him something special. He shoots some custom stick made by some character who those with equal helpings of dementia speak about in hushed and reverent tones. You order a bow from the guy and you get it years later. (if he likes you) It’s all Greek to me. I stand among a pod of those guys like a dude in Deadwood. They’re chattering away about how many strands they’ve been using for a bow string this week ... occasionally going dead quiet and all eyes glancing at me in mass with suspicion. Like a pack of meerkat moving in unison. Like the Ewoks looking over at Darth Vader. I seem to confuse them. Or at least they’re confused why my buddy has anything to do with me? They all get together once a year at some “Muzzy Shoot” and scamper about the mountain shooting (at) rocks & stumps or something. It’s a big deal to him. I guess it’s good clean harmless fun. Nobody seems to get hurt when they let these inmates out of the funhouse and let them gather up for a few days. While they spit ... and then grind the spittle into the ground with their foot at the mention of the word “crossbow” ... sounds like there’s actually more of a kinship to this “medieval crossbow” enthusiasm then they like to admit. I DO point that out to my goomba now and then. LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts