·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Pigs

Guide Girl,You really make me homesick for my old deer lease near Hebbronville Texas.

Had the best lease,more game than we could use. five good buddies had over eight hundred acres for several years.

some of the best of times.:)

Lived in Conroe for many years.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SPECIALIZED said:
Guide Girl,You really make me homesick for my old deer lease near Hebbronville Texas.

Had the best lease,more game than we could use. five good buddies had over eight hundred acres for several years.

some of the best of times.:mad:

Lived in Conroe for many years.
That's why I like to share with others even if I have too much fun with the camera while alone. Then, I'm not really alone in the experience, and you recollect something, or get fired up to do something new. Glad you enjoyed the video. I hope it put a smile on your face as well, or a laugh. That's the most important part.

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
GG
Are there seasons or bag limits for hogs? I have read so many horror stories about how destructive they are to natural habitat. We have a very small population in a few isolated pockets here in Ohio. The ODNR wants full and complete eradication of them before they get a foot hold in our forests and farm lands. I have never seen one but they are dangerously close to my hunting lands. If they manage to spread to my area I plan on shooting every single one I see. The fact I have never seen one leads me to believe we have the problem in check I hope.
I was just curious how Texas viewed hogs.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
The problem (w/hogs) is never in check !!!!

Feral hogs are fairly prolific reproducers, having as many as two litters per year,
with each litter consisting of four to ten young.

That is up to 10 young twice a year or 20 young from just one sow!!!

Last November on a deer hunt in the Arbuckle Mtns (south central Oklahoma)
I saw a line of pigs going over a ridgeline early one morning,
with 84 pigs in the line and about an hour later, I saw another line of 37 pigs

With few predators other than man

That many hogs giving birth to up to 20 young per year...per hog

Things can get out of hand...real quick !!!!!!!!

For some great information on Hogs
Check out the Nobe Foundations (Ardmore, Oklahoma) info on hogs
http://www.noble.org/Ag/Wildlife/FeralHogs/Index.html

Bill Becquart
www.oklahomaxbowshooters.org

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
Thanks Bill very informative. I may try a summer hunt this August now that I know what too look for. I think what we have running wild are Russian boar is that the same thing? Rumor has it they escaped from a hunting preserve several years ago and reproduced. They call them feral hogs here too however. I suppose some could be domesticated pigs that got loose from farms years ago and went wild.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
buckeye dan said:
GG
Are there seasons or bag limits for hogs? I have read so many horror stories about how destructive they are to natural habitat. We have a very small population in a few isolated pockets here in Ohio. The ODNR wants full and complete eradication of them before they get a foot hold in our forests and farm lands. I have never seen one but they are dangerously close to my hunting lands. If they manage to spread to my area I plan on shooting every single one I see. The fact I have never seen one leads me to believe we have the problem in check I hope.
I was just curious how Texas viewed hogs.
Texas has 3 million hogs and 2 million of them are wild. They do not ever have a limit on hogs as they are catagorized as exotic (non native) We hunt them 365 days and nights a year, any weapon you want, and a friend of mine who was a state legislator helped pass a bill that stated you didn't even have to posess a hunting license to harvest them unless it was a commercial hunt. Parks & Wildlife sure didn't like that, so they worded in their regulations something different so I told her about it and she sic'ed them. There point was if the approached someone shooting after dark, they wanted to be able and ask for ID. So, in Texas, anything goes with wild hogs.
The original bloodlines imported were Russian or European, but of course they cross bred with domestic hogs and no bloodlines are pure anymore. People let their hogs rome free for the most part in the old days, so of course there were ferral hogs. They're like dogs about coming home and checking in. The discoverers of America brought some with them, and then the King ranch imported them into south Texas for their hunting operation in the early 1900's. That's why we have so many here, and in Florida. There's also no good way to keep hogs penned up since they are a very strong animal, and use the snouts to work things. Example: I have a female 500 lb hog that was caught and I raised for the past 6 years. I keep her feed in a metal trashcan with a bungee cord ( rope, wire, etc) across the lid, and all tied to a post. If I neglect to feed her, she destroys the trashcan by beating it with her head until it rips the seam open or the lid shifts and treats it like a Pinata. She will not go hungry! So, if I'm gone hunting and I don't feed her to her liking, she takes care of it herself. Much better than a dog will do. Occasionally, I find the feed barrel in the pasture where she's broke the wire from the post and rolled it to the pasture trying to get it opened, and she does always. I always have a large tank with water because if she gets thirsty or hot, she'll be out the fence or the gate into the river. I live on a river. What keeps her in check with that is she's scared to go to new areas alone. Sows run together in groups, where boars run solo as they are too mean to be with others. If a boar is in a group of hogs, it's because one of the sows is in season. He'll only be with them till she's over it, then they ditch him quick! He takes over everything including all the food sources. Where the term "Men are pigs" came from. Have no doubt that she can be just as mean when she wants to be bred. I have trouble with mine chasing men when she's in season. We call it "Piggys in her mood" and everyone has to be aware of her for a day or two.
( which happened to be this past Sunday and my nap was rudely interrupted by my 28 year old step son banging on my back door to get me to call the pig off of him while he was working on his boat.)
They are treacherous on fences. Can't fence them in, can't fence them out. They can be a very determined animal. PIG HEADED, another term you could say came from that source. Texans do not like wild hogs, but they aren't going anywhere. Why I hunt for free offering hog removal services in a state where hunting always cost you money, unlike Ohio. I'd say to the lawmakers concerning hogs everywhere, No limits, no seasons. Shoot on site.

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
Well I was wondering why you hunt them from a blind with a crossbow. And I noticed you were selective with the ones you shoot. If hogs were that big of a problem here in Ohio I would be sitting over bait with my AR-15 and a couple of 30 round clips trying to eradicate them. My hunting area is in southern Vinton county and they are estimated to be ranging just north of where I hunt about 30 miles or so. You can bet if I see hogs and they don't belong to the neighbors I'll gun down the entire pack. I don't want them anywhere near my management lands.
I don't even like the turkeys but the laws prevent me from removing them in effective numbers. Thanks to the turkeys grouse are almost non existent in my areas. As A kid I could jump several on every hunt. I think we have 2 residents as of now and I don't expect them to stay long once the canopy reforms from the clearcut.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Buckeye Dan,
One of my landowners has a license for an automatic weapon and when he sees them, he mows them down. But then the problem is, they come in after nightfall, and then no one wants to sit for hogs at night. He has us do his hog removal because with some patience, I can take out 3 or 4 at one sitting each evening, and they always come back! No noise! So we can elliminate them quicker by harvesting them with the more silent crossbows than the rifles. Also, I donate the meat to needy families where he just leaves them lay. I'd rather make use of the meat than waste it and give it to the buzzards and other varmints. My freezers are always full of pork. I get really tired of wild pork! Around here, we're known as the Hog hunters. Gets me opportunities to hunt for free. If ya'll don't know, hunting in Texas is NOT free anymore. They charge for everything, and by the head.

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
Ah Since you put it that way it makes more sense. I want to try to hunt them here but they are hard to find. Anyone who knows where they are won't tell because they want to "hog" them all to themselves.:)

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
I hear you, some people are PIGS about there hunting.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts