Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NRC APPROVES NEW DISABILITY CRITERIA

Yesterday, The Michigan Natural Resources Commission (NRC) acted upon the criteria that would allow a person with a permanent medical disability to take game with a crossbow. Furthermore, the NRC requested that the DNR seek to gain authority to issue temporary crossbow and modified bow permits from the legislature.

This is a landmark day for sportspersons throughout the entire State of Michigan as it will now open the doors for hundreds and perhaps thousands of disabled persons the opportunity to participate as an equal during the same activity as the able-bodied. Thanks go out to the NRC for tackling these long-overdue matters and providing greater hunter opportunity for our citizens.

The specific criterion is light years different than the old criteria and I will post it under a new thread. Highlights include the removal of the 80% permanent disability language. In its place is language that, in my opinion, the State of Michigan says that "if you have a disability, were going to find a way to get you into the woods!"

A proud day for Michigan and a very good day for its citizens!

·
665 Posts
Can't wait to read it

·
2,811 Posts
Here's Michigans new xbow criteria, got this off MS Forums, from Riva's thread..It's not full inclusion but were getting there..

WILDLIFE CONSERVATION ORDER

Amendment No. 14
Under the authority of sections 40107 and 40113a, Act No. 451 of the Public Acts of 1994, as amended, being sections 324.40107 and 324.40113a of the Michigan Compiled Laws, the Natural Resources Commission and the Director of the Department of Natural Resources orders that, effective August 15,2008 the following sections of the Wildlife Conservation Order shall read as follows:

5.95 Permit to take game with a crossbow.
Sec. 5.95. (1) The department may issue a permit to a person who is certified as being permanently disabled by a licensed physician or physical/occupational therapist as provided in this section. That permit shall be issued without cost to the applicant and shall authorize that person to take game with a crossbow during the open season for that game if that person holds a license to take that game issued pursuant to part 435 and complies with all other laws and rules for the taking of game.

(2) An applicant for a permit under this section shall submit to the department a signed certification from a licensed physician or physical/occupational therapist indicating the disability determined to be present in the permit applicant. The licensed physician or physical/occupational therapist may certify that the applicant is permanently disabled as required by this section if the licensed physician or physical/occupational therapist finds that the permit applicant has a disability that renders them unable to use conventional archery equipment. In support of such a determination, the licensed physician or physical/occupational therapist shall utilize the following standards and
criteria:

(a) A functional draw test to simulate the drawback posture and/or position with a weight equivalent to 35 pounds of resistance for a 4-second duration.

:)rolleyes: Manual muscle testing: Shoulder flexion, shoulder extension, shoulder abduction (horizontal plane) elbow flexion and elbow extension are graded equal to or less than 3 of 5 using a standard manual muscle grading scale or an equivalent test.

(c) Impaired range of motion: Goniometric measurements using the "American medical association guide to evaluation and permanent impairment rating," or other guidelines accepted by the American medical association or an equivalent test. If shoulder flexion is equal to or less than 90 degrees or shoulder extension is equal to or less than 10 degrees or shoulder abduction is equal to or less than 70 degrees or elbow flexion is equal to or less than 90 degrees or elbow extension is equal to or less than negative 20 degrees, the permit may be granted.

(d) Amputations involving body extremities required for stable function to use conventional archery equipment do not require objective test findings. However, the applicant is required to present a physician's certification to be qualified for a permit.

(e) Any spinal cord injury resulting in permanent disability to the lower extremities, leaving the applicant permanently non-ambulatory or other disability resulting in a permanent wheelchair (mobility device) restriction, as diagnosed by a physician, do not require objective test findings.

(f) Coordination assessment. Coordination is the ability to execute smooth, accurate, controlled movement. In coordination or coordination deficit describes abnormal motor function characterized by awkward, extraneous, uneven, or inaccurate movements, caused by central nervous disorders, including, but not limited to, Parkinson's disease, cerebral palsy, hemiplegia, hemiparesis, and closed head trauma, or by progressive neuromuscular diseases, such as muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Purpose: to assess the ability of muscles or groups of muscles to work together to perform a task.

(3) Any other permanent disability that renders the applicant unable to use conventional archery equipment as diagnosed by a licensed physician shall be sufficient grounds for granting the permit. The licensed physician must note in general terms how the disability prevents the applicant from using conventional archery equipment other than a crossbow.

(4) A person shall not seek diagnosis from a licensed physician or physical/occupational therapist for purposes of meeting the requirements of this section on more than 2 occasions within a 6-month period.

(5) Crossbow permits issued pursuant to this section are valid unless revoked pursuant to the administrative procedures act of 1969, Act No. 306 of the Public Acts of 1969, being sections 24.201 to 24.328 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(6) Arrows, bolts, and quarrels used for taking deer, bear, elk, and turkey with a crossbow under a permit issued under this section or as provided in section 2.1 are required to have a broadhead hunting type of point not less than 7/8 of an inch wide and must be a minimum of 14 inches in length.

Issued this 14th day of August, 2008.
Approved as to matters over which the Natural Resources Commission has authority.
Keith J. Charters, Chairman
Natural Resources Commission

Approved as to matters over which the Director has authority.
Rebecca A. Humphries
Director

·
821 Posts
Riva said:
The specific criterion is light years different than the old criteria and I will post it under a new thread. Highlights include the removal of the 80% permanent disability language. In its place is language that, in my opinion, the State of Michigan says that "if you have a disability, were going to find a way to get you into the woods!"
This is very good news!! Here, in NJ, NOT all disabled people can qualify for a disabled xbow permit. Hopefully, all that will change by the 2009-2010 season. :D

·
76 Posts
We have gained a lot with the new provisions, however it fails to address one needed provision, temporary permits. As I understand it the DNR has requested authority to issue temporary permits. Many have conditions(myself included) which might be considered temporary now and prove to be permanent later. Without a temporary permit, I along with many others will "sit this one out". Again, many fall through the cracks. Can only hope the DNR gains approval to issue temps. Don't know if the DNR has the authority to do so, but would have been great to see them set an age qualification.

·
542 Posts
tc scout said:
We have gained a lot with the new provisions, however it fails to address one needed provision, temporary permits. As I understand it the DNR has requested authority to issue temporary permits. Many have conditions(myself included) which might be considered temporary now and prove to be permanent later. Without a temporary permit, I along with many others will "sit this one out". Again, many fall through the cracks. Can only hope the DNR gains approval to issue temps. Don't know if the DNR has the authority to do so, but would have been great to see them set an age qualification.
I agree 100% with you, I am truly hoping that we DON'T have to sit this one out....But if they don't allow for age or temporary permits, I am sure I will be sitting on the lounge chair this year, instead of in the woods.. Arthritis and a torn rotator cuff, will not let this 62 year old body do what it used to do.........

Rev..........

·
Banned
364 Posts
It is certainly progress; but I have some concerns about the reasoning and politics behind this.

I don't understand why Michigan only threw out such a small tidbit. Is it to try and apease the crossbow faternity? I hope that this does not derail the bill in the Senate to make CB's legal for all people who want to use one during the archery season.

I suspect that the MBHA have a lot of influence and believe this small bone that was thrown will stop the bill to legalize CB's for everyone

·
76 Posts
Rev300 said:
I agree 100% with you, I am truly hoping that we DON'T have to sit this one out....But if they don't allow for age or temporary permits, I am sure I will be sitting on the lounge chair this year, instead of in the woods.. Arthritis and a torn rotator cuff, will not let this 62 year old body do what it used to do.........

Rev..........
Hi Rev, Nice to see another MI member, haven't been here long myself, but it is a great place to chat and learn. Sounds like you are in the same boat that I am and the "new" provisions didn't help a bit. :thumbsup: Wanna move to Ohio ?:p

·
2,811 Posts
tc scout said:
Hi Rev, Nice to see another MI member, haven't been here long myself, but it is a great place to chat and learn. Sounds like you are in the same boat that I am and the "new" provisions didn't help a bit. :thumbsup: Wanna move to Ohio ?:p
Hi guys, as soon as the new forms come out I hope both of you go to your Drs. and see if he will sign off on the xbow permits for ya , it can be just between you & your Dr. now , no more physical therapist & no more disability threshold, GOOD LUCK..

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
beervo2 said:
Hi guys, as soon as the new forms come out I hope both of you go to your Drs. and see if he will sign off on the xbow permits for ya , it can be just between you & your Dr. now , no more physical therapist & no more disability threshold, GOOD LUCK..
Just send them to me. I'll sign off on them. Urban Legend M.D.:thumbsup:

·
542 Posts
DaGriz said:
It is certainly progress; but I have some concerns about the reasoning and politics behind this.

I don't understand why Michigan only threw out such a small tidbit. Is it to try and apease the crossbow faternity? I hope that this does not derail the bill in the Senate to make CB's legal for all people who want to use one during the archery season.

I suspect that the MBHA have a lot of influence and believe this small bone that was thrown will stop the bill to legalize CB's for everyone
I also think this is a compromise to try and stop the Senate from voting on the bill............

·
542 Posts
beervo2 said:
Where will we be able to find the new forms??? I will go to my Doctor asap.............

Rev.........

·
2,811 Posts
Keep checking the NDR website, put crossbow permit in the search window..I hear it could be as early as this week or next week..

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not true

Rev300 said:
I also think this is a compromise to try and stop the Senate from voting on the bill............
The process to review the criteria that would permit a person with a disability to hunt with a crossbow was not any part of the bill that recently passed in the Michigan House (HB5741 H2). The Disability measure was also conducted by the Natural Resources Commission, a totally different entity not associated with the legislature.

Further, the disability criteria was of limited scope while HB5741 calls for full inclusion. There was absolutely no compromise involved as HB5741 H2 will probably be acted upon in the next session. Considering that the bill won in the house by a whopping 94-14 margin, it is fully expected to be approved in the same by an equal margin, if not greater.

But two my point, they were two separate actions, both designed to create opportunity to Michigan citizens.

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
Riva said:
The process to review the criteria that would permit a person with a disability to hunt with a crossbow was not any part of the bill that recently passed in the Michigan House (HB5741 H2). The Disability measure was also conducted by the Natural Resources Commission, a totally different entity not associated with the legislature.

Further, the disability criteria was of limited scope while HB5741 calls for full inclusion. There was absolutely no compromise involved as HB5741 H2 will probably be acted upon in the next session. Considering that the bill won in the house by a whopping 94-14 margin, it is fully expected to be approved in the same by an equal margin, if not greater.

But two my point, they were two separate actions, both designed to create opportunity to Michigan citizens.
Riva: Have you read the post by DaGriz at the top of the page where one senator has already stated the NRC's disability action solved the full inclusion problem? Comment please?

·
542 Posts
awshucks said:
Riva: Have you read the post by DaGriz at the top of the page where one senator has already stated the NRC's disability action solved the full inclusion problem? Comment please?

I have a feeling that lot's of them feel the same way.......

·
542 Posts
Rev300 said:
Where will we be able to find the new forms??? I will go to my Doctor asap.............

Rev.........

Has anyone seen the new forms as of yet????

Rev

·
665 Posts
Rev300 said:
Has anyone seen the new forms as of yet????

Rev
michigan.gov/dnr

1 - 20 of 44 Posts