Crossbow Nation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MBH supports the current standard for determining crossbow permit eligibility for physically challenged hunters. However we are opposed to lowering the level of permanent disability from 80% to 60%. Our Association acknowledges that the current evaluation process for crossbow permit applicants is expensive and frequently abused.
We therefore support removal of the physician from the evaluation process as a means of addressing both issues. Also, we would be very supportive of a more vigorous scrutiny of crossbow permit applications by the DNR Law division to further address the abuse issue. In addition, there are other issues with the crossbow permit system not mentioned in the proposal. We look forward to working with the NRC to resolve these concerns.
Michigan Bow Hunters does not oppose establishing a permit for legally blind hunters using laser sighting devices on a bow, crossbow or firearm, when the hunter is accompanied and assisted by an adult, licensed hunter.

So a Physical therapist knows more then a Doctor? All the Pt is going to do is can you move your arms, if you can you are denied, A dr is going to know your health and situation better then some guy that tells you to lift weights and stretch

This is why MBH wants it to be changed, because they know less people can and will go to a PT because of the cost and the lack of knowing there condition

Use me as a example, Most dr's dont even know what a syrnix ( Syringomyelia) is, but If I strain pulling a bow it could damage my spine in a split second. Do you think a PT is going to know what it is, but since I can move my arms I would get shot down

They (MBH) need to stop drinking the Green kool-aid and start enjoying the wood's with there fellow sportsman and stop trying to be a controlling factor in Michigan's woods

If they want to start crying, tell every bow hunter that they cant use anything over 50% let off, no releases, mech broad heads,peep sites, carbon arrow's. Maybe only use recurves... I will bet that the majority of these people use hi-tech equipment and are just trying to beat there chest to be heard

·
11,411 Posts
Mideerslayer

You hit the nail on the head. Who gave them the right to dictate where archery technology should stop??:ack2: They are on the losing end of the battle as more states continue to include crossbows for anyone wanting to use them during bow season while they are telling the Michigan game division what THEY want done:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
101 Posts
They (MBH) need to stop drinking the Green kool-aid and start enjoying the wood's with there fellow sportsman and stop trying to be a controlling factor in Michigan's woods

If they want to start crying, tell every bow hunter that they cant use anything over 50% let off, no releases, mech broad heads,peep sites, carbon arrow's. Maybe only use recurves... I will bet that the majority of these people use hi-tech equipment and are just trying to beat there chest to be heard
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

how about 0% letoff, no releases, no sights,scopes, and only cedar shafts with feathers like i used back in the 60's with my BEAR KODIAC MAGNUM 45 LB RECURVE WITH FINGER TABS FREESTYLE. then we can start talking again.

·
Banned
1,256 Posts
First they harp the "you don't have to draw in the presence of game" line of crap. I ask what about blinds? They ignore that then off on another anti tangent that doesn't add up. Yet to have one answer how a guy in the next woodlot with an xbow affects their hunting? They're greedy selfish hunters and there is no other way to say it. All the data or logic can do nothing to an emotionally based argument. That's why xbows gain ground every year, well every week now it seems. Just a matter of time until it's all 50.:rolleyes:

·
11,411 Posts
Maybe that 's why Michigan

bowhunters think they should hate crossbows so badly.....................because Ohio is, and has been for years, wide open to crossbows and folks from Michigan always turn green when you mention Ohio. Never thought oif it from that angle before:D

·
11,411 Posts
" buck harvest goes up"

:):ack2: Once again, another comment with absolutely NOTHING to back it up:rolleyes: Again, I ask states' legislators to simply ignore the BS coming from "anti-hunting" groups like the MBH and just look at states that have already included crossbows in bow season. If they do that they will quickly have all the information they need to make sensible decisions rather than wading through the BS. It amazes me how a small bunch of narrow minded, selfish, elitist, greedy self appointed "experts" (?) present themselves as the "deciders" on archery/bowhunting technology limitation...................just as they tried to do with mechanical compound bows 35 years ago. Just think where archery and bowhunting would be today if they had been successful then/:eek:

·
264 Posts
The buck harvest has to go up with the introduction of 100,000 new hunters into the bow season. How can it not. The once the harvest goes up the DNR/NRC will either shorten the season or reduce the number of buck tags.

Simply the numbers have to go up. I'm not against the crossbow, but am fearfull of losing our hard fought for bow season.

·
264 Posts
Moonkryket said:
:):ack2: Once again, another comment with absolutely NOTHING to back it up:rolleyes: Again, I ask states' legislators to simply ignore the BS coming from "anti-hunting" groups like the MBH and just look at states that have already included crossbows in bow season. If they do that they will quickly have all the information they need to make sensible decisions rather than wading through the BS. It amazes me how a small bunch of narrow minded, selfish, elitist, greedy self appointed "experts" (?) present themselves as the "deciders" on archery/bowhunting technology limitation...................just as they tried to do with mechanical compound bows 35 years ago. Just think where archery and bowhunting would be today if they had been successful then/:eek:

I wonder were bow hunting would be today too if it wasn't for state organizations that fought for bow hunting rights in states like Michigan and New York and Wisconsin.

Don't forget the hard work many of these organiztions put in to get bow hunting recognized and the liberal season put into place that we enjoy today.

·
36 Posts
Terry Williams said:
The buck harvest has to go up with the introduction of 100,000 new hunters into the bow season. How can it not. The once the harvest goes up the DNR/NRC will either shorten the season or reduce the number of buck tags.

Simply the numbers have to go up. I'm not against the crossbow, but am fearfull of losing our hard fought for bow season.
Hey Terry, in 1998 Michigan had 80,000 more bow hunters in archery season than in 2007. Did the herd suffer too many bucks being killed then?

The deer population has been rising for the last 5 years and we are getting seriously close to two million deer in Michigan. We have ample capacity for an increase in harvest without any need for seasons to be curtailed.

An additional 100,000 hunters, at most, would increase the harvest by an extra 34,000 deer or roughly 7%. About 20,000 of those would be bucks. That is 20,000 bucks out of a deer population that the DNR projects will be 1,841,000 this fall. The combo license results in an extra 33,000 bucks being harvested every year and Brent Rudolph of the DNR said that number was "biologically insignificant."

Giving 100,000 more hunters the opportunity to recreate and enjoy the public resource and also contribute a substantial amount of money to supporting wildlife in Michigan, what's not to love?

Look at it this way, if you add 100,000 more hunters to archery season, that is 25% more hunters who would be vocal in voicing their displeasure if the DNR attempts to shorten bow season. :)

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
Munsterlndr said:
Hey Terry, in 1998 Michigan had 80,000 more bow hunters in archery season than in 2007. Did the herd suffer too many bucks being killed then?

The deer population has been rising for the last 5 years and we are getting seriously close to two million deer in Michigan. We have ample capacity for an increase in harvest without any need for seasons to be curtailed.

An additional 100,000 hunters, at most, would increase the harvest by an extra 34,000 deer or roughly 7%. About 20,000 of those would be bucks. That is 20,000 bucks out of a deer population that the DNR projects will be 1,841,000 this fall. The combo license results in an extra 33,000 bucks being harvested every year and Brent Rudolph of the DNR said that number was "biologically insignificant."

Giving 100,000 more hunters the opportunity to recreate and enjoy the public resource and also contribute a substantial amount of money to supporting wildlife in Michigan, what's not to love?

Look at it this way, if you add 100,000 more hunters to archery season, that is 25% more hunters who would be vocal in voicing their displeasure if the DNR attempts to shorten bow season. :eek:
I like the way this guy thinks.:)

·
Banned
364 Posts
Terry Williams said:
I wonder were bow hunting would be today too if it wasn't for state organizations that fought for bow hunting rights in states like Michigan and New York and Wisconsin.

Don't forget the hard work many of these organiztions put in to get bow hunting recognized and the liberal season put into place that we enjoy today.
:eek: :ack2: You are a misquided person ! Those groups that fought for the existing archery seasons and hunting rights also fough equally as hard against the compound, when it was introduced. A lot of the supporters of archery seasons are still against anything but a recurve or long bow. Many have reached the age where physical limitation prevent them from shooting any vertical bows and welcome the opportunity to continue bow hunting with a crossbow, The legalization of crossbow is NOT going to hurt the deer herd. That statement is pure hogwash! :)

M

·
0 Posts
Actually yes. Yes it did.
The MI deer herd has continually suffered from the over harvest of male deer. This is why the deer herd is over it's carrying capacity in most areas of the state. Harvesting too many males and not enough females.
To date the greater majority of the harvest of male deer has come from the firearm sector. Due mostly to the fact that MI simply has so many firearm hunters. Over twice the number as bowhunters. Yet for years the firearm sector has pushed the blame on bowhunters as they call for shorter bow seasons etc. They have been winning their argument too. As MI bow season has been effectively cut in half in many areas of the state.
This is why MI bowhunters are concerned.

·
36 Posts
MIbowhunter said:
Actually yes. Yes it did.
The MI deer herd has continually suffered from the over harvest of male deer. This is why the deer herd is over it's carrying capacity in most areas of the state. Harvesting too many males and not enough females.
To date the greater majority of the harvest of male deer has come from the firearm sector. Due mostly to the fact that MI simply has so many firearm hunters. Over twice the number as bowhunters. Yet for years the firearm sector has pushed the blame on bowhunters as they call for shorter bow seasons etc. They have been winning their argument too. As MI bow season has been effectively cut in half in many areas of the state.
This is why MI bowhunters are concerned.
The herd was not decimated in 1998 due to there being 80,000 more bow hunters and 150,000 more firearms hunters in the woods, which is the doom and gloom prediction that many are making. I would agree that Michigan traditionally over harvests male deer, especially yearling's. That's why I was a major supporter of the OBR push that occurred last year and lobbied the NRC hard. Unfortunately, Michigan Bow Hunters led the charge against OBR and continue to lobby for the combo license, which promotes the overharvest of male deer. Why is that?

By the way, let's be accurate in our description, just so the folks who are not from Michigan get an accurate picture. Michigan's Bow season has never been reduced as you claim. In point of fact the opportunity for archers to hunt was expanded by another two days just this season. What you are referring to is the fact that other specialty seasons such as muzzleloader, late firearms, antlerless, youth season, etc. have been instituted during time periods when bow hunters previously had exclusive use of the woods. Given that Bow hunters have an 84 day season, it is pretty difficult to institute any new seasons without some overlap. That is only a "reduction" of bow season if you use some pretty twisted logic. Apparently you are under the impression that bow hunters are in some way special and are "more" deserving of an exclusive season than other hunters who want to recreate and take advantage of a public resource? Do you pay more taxes than the average Michigan hunter, which would entitle you to a bigger share of a public resource? Why exactly are you more entitled than a youth hunter to get the opportunity to participate in Michigan's hunting seasons? Michigan bow hunter numbers have dropped 80,000 in the last decade. Fewer bow hunters means that the State has to make up the lower harvest somehow, if they are going to meet their management goals, and the method they employ is to increase the number of specialty seasons. Crossbow inclusion will simply help them meet their management harvest goals without having a negative impact on bow season, what-so-ever.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Michigan crossbow

After talking to friends of mine who bow hunt in Michigan ,they say the fear in a lot of Michigan bowhunters is that gunhunters who only hunt now in gunseason will now take up crossbows and hunt both seasons.
Do you think this is a valid scenario?
Has this happened in other crossbow legal states.?
Any one Facts and figures?

Should I buy stock in Crossbow companies?:)

·
264 Posts
SPECIALIZED said:
After talking to friends of mine who bow hunt in Michigan ,they say the fear in a lot of Michigan bowhunters is that gunhunters who only hunt now in gunseason will now take up crossbows and hunt both seasons.
Do you think this is a valid scenario?
Has this happened in other crossbow legal states.?
Any one Facts and figures?

Should I buy stock in Crossbow companies?:)

That is our main fear and I believe a valid one, and further we believe it will shorten our bow season. How many cross over hunters would we hve if we only had a OBR? In my opinion very few.

Crossbows aren't going to make it into the archery season this year, so strart gearing up for next year. MBH will continue to fight against the intrusion of the crossbow into archery season.

Talk about opportunities all you want its about money for the crossbow companies and hunters that are looking for an easier way to hunt.

I also suspect some have already bought or have been given options into crossbow companies, this year buy your stock short.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.