Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
The biggest deal breaker for me is the new trigger and nock design. That and if I have to pull as much as I did with the Suppressor, it ain't fer me. The suppressor was a great bow, and if all I wanted it for was to hunt and shoot frequently I'd still have it. But like Mike said 2 or 3 shots were all I wanted at a session, and dicking with a crank ain't fer me,,,, yet!

I would go with the new Mag Air if it were not for the material they chose for 2022 model bow. But one thing I would never do is use less than 400 to 425 grain arrows in the 380 Micro if I was buying it, I'd build 17" Zombie slayers tightly matched and indexed with a matched set of Blazer Vanes 110 grain insert, and screw on my favorite125 grain Viper Tricks, get three adult deer standing side by side and take them all three with one shot, and be easier to find the arrow.

But seriously after over 12 years without an Excalibur limb failure, I will always suggest over 400 grains from any recurve over 330 fps rating! The just turn into a much better bow!

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'm already thinking about modifying a Micro 380 with Micro 355 standard limbs for off season target shooting. Maybe I've misunderstood but sounds like it has different limb angles and barrel length so expect it would be nice and slow with regular Micro limbs. Yes??
I'm pretty certain with the length of the Micro 380, if you put regular micro limbs in it you will then have yourself somewhere around a micro 355 or 360. Definitely not a "nice and slow" model either. I have that figured based on what another guy did this past year with swapping around some 400TD front ends onto shorter rails. And then there is also the limb pocket width difference.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Rope cocking the Micro 380 is doable….for some. It’s the max I can do. To me the cocking effort is equal to the 360. These new limbs are what makes that difference. If you have physical limitations, then it’s a Charger Crank. it’s a crank for me if I’m shooting a bunch. If I’m going to the stand, I’ll rope cock it. My technique is to start with my knees bent. For that last inch or so I lock my knees and straighten my back. I do it in one motion for the momentum. I really like this bow. You get a lot of bow for $999.
Mike, do you know if the decocking hook that the 380 comes with can be left on the rope cocker to cock it?

Asking for 2 reasons... If decocking after a hunt, could just be left hooked on that way and cocked the next hunt. Just like with traditional rope cocker.

And also, if it can be cocked with the special hook in place, I'd have to wonder why not just have that one replace the regular hook, so no special one needed for decocking?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I’m assuming you could do. The rope runs across the Decocking tool but there is nothing to keep it on but pressure. When I let it it down, I do leaving the piece on. Stays in place

·
Registered
5 Posts
why would you buy it direct and take it to cablea’s to set up? they want to hook you for something. i smells a rat.

after the “setup” service i got from the place i got my crossbow….no thanks. i’ll handle it myself so i know it is done correctly.
That's right!! If you're mechanicaly inclined. You can save yourself from paying that high priced bowtech charge by doing it yourself.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I’m assuming you could do. The rope runs across the Decocking tool but there is nothing to keep it on but pressure. When I let it it down, I do leaving the piece on. Stays in place
Since it can be cocked with that decocking geometry on the one hook, seems to me they should have just had that left hook be like that, except with geometry to capture the rope and stay attached. No separate piece needed for decocking then. That's how I'm seeing it at least. But easy for me to say when I've never used one in person.

·
Registered
still a looking!
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well…. Once wyvern creations gets settled down on their move I’ll let everyone know, but I’m kinda hung up between the 380 and the 400 suppressor… strictly for hunting though

-Tuco

·
Registered
35 Posts
I finally had time to get the new Micro 380 together and run a few arrows down range. First impressions: Really well constructed, Perfectly machined, and clean looking too. I am a lefty, so between that, and being slightly handicapped; I can see it's going to be a bit before I am comfortable with it. The cocker took more effort than I expected the first couple times. It's about 10 cranks to latching. All is well with that, and it's gonna be just fine. All the way around I think it compares to my DS for speed, I can't really tell any difference. The arrows with the field tips are 400gr. Another order went into Wyvern for extra arrows and other things. I think I have a keeper here.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well…. Once wyvern creations gets settled down on their move I’ll let everyone know, but I’m kinda hung up between the 380 and the 400 suppressor… strictly for hunting though

-Tuco
I’ve got the 400 Suppressor love it shoots great. I personally like the takedown feature definitely helps when traveling with it, plus it comes with a charger crank. I cannot comment on the new 380 as I have not shot one yet but it’s probably comparable to the 400 minus the takedown feature. If I were only to have one crossbow the 400 Suppressor would be my choice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Last month after my other bow went into the shop, I needed a backup to keep hunting. Found a 355 Suppressor with a pile of accessories for a fair price and grabbed it up. One bolt takedown works for me since it takes about a minute to either assemble or break down. I’ve been enjoying shooting it immensely, and took my first deer with it back on the 7th. I can see adding either a 380 or 400 Micro to the stable in the future.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I finally had time to get the new Micro 380 together and run a few arrows down range. First impressions: Really well constructed, Perfectly machined, and clean looking too. I am a lefty, so between that, and being slightly handicapped; I can see it's going to be a bit before I am comfortable with it. The cocker took more effort than I expected the first couple times. It's about 10 cranks to latching. All is well with that, and it's gonna be just fine. All the way around I think it compares to my DS for speed, I can't really tell any difference. The arrows with the field tips are 400gr. Another order went into Wyvern for extra arrows and other things. I think I have a keeper here.
I'm a lefty -- so what does that mean? I thought crossbows were ambidextrous. Is this one not?

thx

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm a lefty -- so what does that mean? I thought crossbows were ambidextrous. Is this one not?

thx
On the Micro 380 when I assembled it; the cheek piece had to come off and be turned around since that part is one sided.

And in my case I am left handed, but I had part of a bone removed from my arm, so after many years my left hand is not all that "handy".... but I get by. Didn't mean to confuse anyone.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts