Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

Registered
I figured it was going to be tougher to cock than my Equinox due to the shorter stiffer limbs. I'll probably order the Charger crank down the road lol.
As was stated. Shorten the rope on the rope cocker it makes a huge diffrence.

I do have a charger crank as well for my 355 suppressor. But I find now that I took several inches out of the rope cocker. It is much easier.

Registered
Excalibur Micro Mag 340, Oracle X scope
As was stated. Shorten the rope on the rope cocker it makes a huge diffrence.
The rope cocker that came with my M340 is short enough out of the box that I have to pull on the string just to engage the jaws. So no extra length to shorten. That's okay, Charger Crank is on the way!

Next to figure out how to reduce the "rifle crack" when I shoot! Heavy bolts and string silencers are in order. I am sure it will all be fine. These issues have all been solved by folks on these forums.

The rope cocker that came with my M340 is short enough out of the box that I have to pull on the string just to engage the jaws. So no extra length to shorten. That's okay, Charger Crank is on the way!

Next to figure out how to reduce the "rifle crack" when I shoot! Heavy bolts and string silencers are in order. I am sure it will all be fine. These issues have all been solved by folks on these forums.
I had a Micro Suppressor 355, and have a 360 hybrid. At 70, I fully appreciate the desire to use the Charger. The key with all recurves is finishing the draw by fully extending the back, where it strongest and least likely to 鈥減ull鈥 any muscles. As far as the noise, they do make some. My 360 makes a good 鈥減ock鈥, but no vibration when shot. Flemish string and heavier arrows help a little (I鈥檓 shooting 455grains), but they are going to make some noise. Sure do shoot well though. :)

Registered
I had a Micro Suppressor 355, and have a 360 hybrid. At 70, I fully appreciate the desire to use the Charger. The key with all recurves is finishing the draw by fully extending the back, where it strongest and least likely to 鈥減ull鈥 any muscles. As far as the noise, they do make some. My 360 makes a good 鈥減ock鈥, but no vibration when shot. Flemish string and heavier arrows help a little (I鈥檓 shooting 455grains), but they are going to make some noise. Sure do shoot well though. :)
Thanks. I turn 70 this Friday. That's not really bad but ya gotta make adjustments! ;)

Don't mean to steal this thread (hope LWM doesn't mind???) but I read a Flemish string also increases speed. Where did ya get yours? And what lube/wax regimen do you follow?

Registered
Excalibur Equinox, Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Just finished getting the 340 sighted in. Shot about 30 arrows & am EXTREMELY HAPPY with it! I was initially a little wobbly with it , I'm used to the much larger Equinox. It's harder yet easier to cock compared to my Equinox. I'm 6'4" 260lb. I'm used to the long cocking on the old bow that's main resistance is only the last 1/3 of the stroke. The 340's firmer resistance is fairly consistent but a very short draw distance for my long arms. So while a little more strength is needed, the shorter draw makes it not too bad for me. After having shoulder surgery (multiple torn tendons & rotator cuff)1 1/2 years ago, I'm very happy I can cock by hand & shoot it well. That was one of my concerns when I ordered it.

Definitely sounds quieter than the Equinox, trigger is not quite as nice though. Although i recall the Equinox trigger got better after 100 shots or so. The Dead Zone scope the 340 came with is ok but I may put the Excalibur illuminated or Ten Point illuminated scope on that I got sitting on the shelf.
Definitely satisfied with the purchase, $647 was a fair price I guess considering fuel & inflation ....(F.U. biden!)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Decided to pull out the Block Crossbow cube target to verify how the 150gr Bolt Cutter broadheads fly out of the new 340. Rated up to 400fps, stops the 350fps 20" Equinox w/150's........

NOT SO MUCH on the shorter 16.5" Quil bolts馃ぃ馃槀! Had to go dig out my Excalibur T bolt puller! Buried those little babies all the way to the nocks!! Fortunately, I was able to get them pulled straight out without damaging the flights. On the bright side, the 150gr fixed blades hit exactly where the field points do.

Registered
Good point by Joe PA about the draw being essentially strongest at the end, as there is no cam turnover etc.

The Mag 340 is a great evolution of the original Micro 335 because it has improvements incorporated along the way (inside radius made in riser limb pocket to reduce limb stress, longer hardware around the limbs to provide a greater gap (to preserve limb life), and a newer limb that came out after the AXE version; these limbs are beefier in the riser area and appear to be shaped a little differently in order to extend limb life. They should be pretty tough as long as the brace height is kept at a reasonable spot and no partial or complete dry fires. Also as people often mention, an arrow of say 400 grains or more is a safer bet.

Registered
Decided to pull out the Block Crossbow cube target to verify how the 150gr Bolt Cutter broadheads fly out of the new 340. Rated up to 400fps, stops the 350fps 20" Equinox w/150's........

NOT SO MUCH on the shorter 16.5" Quil bolts馃ぃ馃槀! Had to go dig out my Excalibur T bolt puller! Buried those little babies all the way to the nocks!! Fortunately, I was able to get them pulled straight out without damaging the flights. On the bright side, the 150gr fixed blades hit exactly where the field points do.
what brand of fixed blade do you use

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Anyone know how many fps I'm losing running the 150gr Boltcutters on the 250gr Quil arrow?
I assume the "340 fps" is utilising the 100gr heads.

Registered
I have been learning about the MAG 340 for a while and this guy has made me think differently about speed vs accuracy.

Thanks, I'm in Limpopo province North most part SA. I'm shooting both Exocet 200 and micro 340 TD and the beauty of excal is almost all arrows you feed it will shoot good. I found that foc on the factory arrows is very important and the higher the tighter my groups. As a general rule, I don't shoot broadheads weighing less than 150gr. First, it bumps up the weight to more than 400gr and foc go up as well. My setup on the Exocet is VPA 175gr and on the 340 I'm shooting a VPA 2 blade of 250gr for a total weight of 500gr. Shot Nyala bull 2 weeks back and full penetration and arrow were dug out of the ground 2meter behind where he was standing. Nyala manage 40yards and fell in sight. As stated previously I don't bother with spine location, by just upping the foc the arrows are shooting 1 to sub-one-inch groups with broadheads no matter what vane is down. So dont feel the need to improve on that.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
Nyala is a BIG African antelope. JM Hunter's results are good enough for me. You might search some of his conversations. Then again, you might not! 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I have been learning about the MAG 340 for a while and this guy has made me think differently about speed vs accuracy.

Nyala is a BIG African antelope. JM Hunter's results are good enough for me. You might search some of his conversations. Then again, you might not! 馃榿
I'm not overly concerned about speed, just trying to figure out ballpark where to set my speed ring on my scope. I'm using the 150gr Boltcutters & intended on staying with them. I'm set on 340 fps & so far scope increments are spot on for 20 & 30 yards. That's as far as I've gotten to shoot so far. Plan on getting to my local Sportsmen's club or elsewhere this weekend to check farther distances

Registered
I'm not overly concerned about speed, just trying to figure out ballpark where to set my speed ring on my scope. I'm using the 150gr Boltcutters & intended on staying with them. I'm set on 340 fps & so far scope increments are spot on for 20 & 30 yards. That's as far as I've gotten to shoot so far. Plan on getting to my local Sportsmen's club or elsewhere this weekend to check farther distances
I understand now. I forget that everyone doesn't have 50 plus yards behind their house to sight in whenever they want to. Perhaps someone can give you the answer to your question. You'll dial it in eventually. Have fun!

Reactions: LonewolfMcquade

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
forget that everyone doesn't have 50 plus yards
I used to lol, but the ex got the house in the settlement. I'm only 10 minutes away from the Sportsmen's club. They got a 100 yard area set aside for archery. I'll get it fine tuned. This whole "responsible adult" & "working for a living " crap really gets in the way of my priorities 馃ぃ

21 - 40 of 67 Posts